I got my Techno 2 today!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Striple765Rider

I got my Techno 2 today!!

Post by Striple765Rider »

Got my Techno 2 today! Man this thing is sweet and I’m not a fan of small knives. I read so many reviews on it though saying that it feels and works like a much larger knife. I haven’t used it yet other than to slice some paper (typical factory edge, fairly toothy and razor sharp) but it definitely feels much better in the hand than say, a Delica. Took some pictures of it with its big brother the Chef. The Chef, and how much I love it, is what made me start looking into the Techno. I’m surprised at how much thicker it is compared to the Chef. I think that helps make it feel like a larger knife and fit the hand really well. And after having three of them now I’m super impressed with the quality of the Taichung models. They really are the cream of the crop. I really love the green anodized stand offs too. It gives it a little splash of “fancy”.

With it’s big brother.

Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
endura3

Re: I got my Techno 2 today!!

Post by endura3 »

Thanks for posting these photos! I had a Techno 1 years ago and enjoyed it, although I didn't love the blade thickness (just a personal preference) and ultimately sold it.

The 2 is a gorgeous knife and looks similarly comfortable in hand. I love the green standoffs - didn't realize those were there.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

That's a cool lookin' knife.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Striple765Rider

endura3 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:05 pm
Thanks for posting these photos! I had a Techno 1 years ago and enjoyed it, although I didn't love the blade thickness (just a personal preference) and ultimately sold it.

The 2 is a gorgeous knife and looks similarly comfortable in hand. I love the green standoffs - didn't realize those were there.
From the comparisons I’ve seen the 2 has a much thinner blade. The thickness of the blade on the original was a common complaint I saw from several places. And yeah the green standoffs are a very cool touch. I think they’re only on the 2? I could be wrong though. I never owned it handle an original Techno.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Striple765Rider

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:28 pm
That's a cool lookin' knife.
Thank you! I’ve only had it a few hours and haven’t actually done anything but flick it a bunch but I’m really liking it a lot.

-Dave
endura3

Post by endura3 »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:30 pm
endura3 wrote:

From the comparisons I’ve seen the 2 has a much thinner blade. The thickness of the blade on the original was a common complaint I saw from several places. And yeah the green standoffs are a very cool touch. I think they’re only on the 2? I could be wrong though. I never owned it handle an original Techno.
I just checked the specs and the 2 does have thinner blade stock! 3.5 mm vs. 4.5 mm on the 1. And yeah the green standoffs are new for the 2 as well. It really is a gorgeous knife - might have to add this one to the list. Thx again for sharing
Striple765Rider

endura3 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:40 pm
Striple765Rider wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:30 pm
endura3 wrote:

I just checked the specs and the 2 does have thinner blade stock! 3.5 mm vs. 4.5 mm on the 1. And yeah the green standoffs are new for the 2 as well. It really is a gorgeous knife - might have to add this one to the list. Thx again for sharing
Yeah they changed quite a bit from what I’ve read on them. Just from reviews I’ve seen a lot of people prefer the 2 over the original.

-Dave
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Nice looking knife!

I have a Techno 1 that is still one of my favorites! It's so uniquely small, but very handfilling. Blade stock is definitely thicker than the 2, but doesn't bother me much. Definitely different than every other knife in my collection.

Mine was sharpened at a random farmers market in Oregon by a guy who claimed to know Sal (I have no way to verify the claim, and so just a cool story to me).

I hope yours gets as much love as mine has over the years and becomes a cherished piece for you like mine did for me.

Older photo...
MNOSD member 0030
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

FYI xxxAdrenalinxxx makes a set of green-anodized Ti screws that match the spacers perfectly.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Nice! Lil bulldog
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

KNICE!!! 👏👍
Striple765Rider

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:57 pm
Nice looking knife!

I have a Techno 1 that is still one of my favorites! It's so uniquely small, but very handfilling. Blade stock is definitely thicker than the 2, but doesn't bother me much. Definitely different than every other knife in my collection.

Mine was sharpened at a random farmers market in Oregon by a guy who claimed to know Sal (I have no way to verify the claim, and so just a cool story to me).

I hope yours gets as much love as mine has over the years and becomes a cherished piece for you like mine did for me.

Older photo...
That’s a really cool story. I’m sure this will be a very regularly carried piece and do plenty of work. Especially after I tried it tonight in that little pocket above the right pocket in jeans (I believe it’s called a fifth pocket or change pocket?). It fit perfectly in there and allowed me to still carry a larger knife (my Chef because that’s my go to anymore). But seeing as how well built this little tank is I’ll probably grab it for most chores especially considering the XHP will have much better edge retention than the LC200N on the chef.

-Dave
Striple765Rider

Coastal wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:58 pm
FYI xxxAdrenalinxxx makes a set of green-anodized Ti screws that match the spacers perfectly.
That’s cool! I’ll have to check that out. Is he a user on here thatI pm or does he have a Website? If I decide to keep the scales natural I’ll probably go that route because that would look cool. I’m also tossing around the idea of anodizing them blue to match the chef because I love blue.

-Dave
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I don't know if he's on the forum or not. He has a website; just google xxxadrenalinxxx. He makes screws and spacers for tons of knives, in several colors. Not sure if every color is available for every knife. He's in Australia and pretty much every order is custom-made, so plan for several weeks. He's pretty good about keeping you informed on progress, and will warn you when he ships, so you can be on the lookout.

Striple765Rider

Coastal wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:33 pm
I don't know if he's on the forum or not. He has a website; just google xxxadrenalinxxx. He makes screws and spacers for tons of knives, in several colors. Not sure if every color is available for every knife. He's in Australia and pretty much every order is custom-made, so plan for several weeks. He's pretty good about keeping you informed on progress, and will warn you when he ships, so you can be on the lookout.

Man that looks awesome!! Thanks for the heads up!

-Dave
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wasn’t a big fan of the green, so I went for blue on the T2 (I had Esteban at TiSurvival re-anodize them). The blue screws are from Steve at BladesWeLove. My Techno 1 has a Cuscadi black G10 backspacer that’s a few mm taller than the stock blue G10 one, which gives it a lot better grip. Both have RGT clips, the fancy one is zircuti. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Those look great!

Flytanium sells copper and brass scales for the Techno 2. I like the looks of copper, but the little booger is already heavy for its size. Still thinking about it... :thinking
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Just got my Techno 2 also and it is already well liked. Still getting used to the RIL locking mechanism as that is not my preference in locks. But this knife is something else in terms of feel and handling. It has the makings of joining my top 5. Uh oh, who will get bumped. :astonished
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am still on the fence about this one. Can you fit all fingers on the handle and what's your glove size? I am L. Thanks! :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
adv23

Post by adv23 »

XL glove size and this is my go to office carry. Followed closely by the Sage 5.