Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by Deadboxhero »

In a world, obsessed with every attribute to a folding knife except strangely enough what actually contributes to making a great performing folding knife that we actually carry and use for cutting. The Delica 4 "Full Flat Grind" (ffg) is quite refreshing, especially to newcomers who have not experienced this humble, timeless classic.

While it doesn't have all of the features our favorite social media reviewers regurgitate that we need on a folder such as flippers, bearings, "fidgety action" etc. which don't get me wrong, those are also cool things to play with.

I find the Delica 4 ffg has some of the most important attributes in a folder that a lot of us find ourselves ACTUALLY carrying every day rather than saying that we do but leaving it in the car, dresser etc

I like to think it's thanks to its small, thin profile and lightweight, it can accommodate almost any wardrobe and disappear until you need it, yet it's substantial enough for most light cutting tasks that we find in everyday environments.

Whenever I see another guy carrying a Delica 4, It's like a "knife guy's handshake." Or like a cool nod that we are both in on a very big secret since the Delica 4 can be a total "sleeper" a knife that hides its performance with humble looks.

This knife is just an excellent cutter, especially when you put your own and edge finish on it to your desires.

I remember five years ago I talked to Michael Christy and he brought up the notion of a "walk away knife"

Basically, he said if he decided to walk away from being a knife enthusiast and just go back to being a regular, less knife obsessed guy the Spyderco Delica 4 full flat grind would be his "walk away knife"

I completely agree and that's especially more true now that it's been available in K390.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
sovereign

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by sovereign »

Whoa, first I read the other day that Michael Janich most often carries a Delica Wharncliffe, and now your praise? Plus, Michael Christy's endorsement?

Windward

Post by Windward »

Well said, and i agree.

As spyderco fans we are really spoiled. Countless models, handles, bladeshapes, steels, finishes, edges. Etc. There is litterally a knife for everyone, and yet i always come back to a delica. At work, in salt form, im always carrying a delica as my secondary knife (usually to its big brother, the endura/pacsalt). Whats not to like about it? Strong, a great cutter, affordable, comfortable, and there are a million options and customizations you can do to it.

If i could only ever have one knife, it would be some delica variant. Might not be as flashy or "trendy" as some designs, but its one of Sal's(and really all pocket knives) best.

Skydog

Post by Skydog »

I'm just shocked to find out that there are folks that allow their nice EDC gear to get wet... And how do you use a carry gun without both a red dot and weapon mounted light? ;)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I love the backlock on the delica. So easy to use
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I just said it in another thread:

To me the Delica in its size range (!) is not only the best Spyderco, but the best folder overall (if one considers the Chaparral a size below).

... Refined over the years (4th generation!),a tried and true and loved by many design for a reason
... so slim and light in carry, while very sturdily built (as light or lighter with its liners than the linerless Para 3 or Native 5)
... full grip on the actual handle even for larger hands plus a ricasso to choke up on
... to me for that size reasonable, a bit thinner stock, great for slicing, but still way strong enough especially with the "drop" towards the tip
... reliable backlock, very grippy and imo great, especially very "stable in hand" ergos..

.. and then there is of course the Salt variant Salt 2: Imo a true masterpiece of knife designing in combining that superlight weight with a still strong built and a full, even a bit thicker than on the Delica handle.

... Generally I just prefer larger folders, and so the big brother Endura is my favorite overall folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

A calypso jr. Or a caly 3 & 3.5 is superior in design for edc knife in that size range. Better ergonomics, more versatile blade geometry. Y’all spyderco fans still sleeping on the genius of the Calys in 2024.
:bug-red-white
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Shawn… 100%
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't know that i could consider the delica as my "walk away" knife, but after years of looking down my nose at the delica, it finally clicked in the last year and i bought a delica wave and delica wharncliffe. i really like them both. it's a great design.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

K390 Wharncliffe Delica in my pocket as I read this on lunch break at work. 10DPS mirror finish, laser beam.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I guess I agree with you considering I have 6 of them. I gifted a beautiful M390 with Delica 4 with micarta scales to my Dad for Father's Day last year. It was his first Spyderco. It should be everyone's first Spyderco!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I can't wait for the High Performance Delica :exploding-head
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I don't own a Delica, per se, but I should carry my LC200N Salt more than I do. They really are perfect for their size, but if I could only have one it would be the next size up.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

:cheap-sunglasses Nod

My G.O.A.T.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:19 pm
K390 Wharncliffe Delica in my pocket as I read this on lunch break at work. 10DPS mirror finish, laser beam.

Nice to see some glue on that baby. That’s what it’s all about. :cheap-sunglasses
- best wishes, Jazz.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

I bought my first Delica back in 1993 in G2. I carried a variety of Delicas as my EDC for over 20 years. I still carry one as a secondary at times.

Besides those initial Delicas, I have over a dozen Delica 4s in various flavors with some customized. I have gifted them to others as their 1st Spyderco and some even their 1st pocket knife. It is an awesome slicer.

While Delicas are easy to take apart, they are a little stubborn when returning to all one piece. This is my latest one that lost its pink scales for something nicer.

Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
vivi

Post by vivi »

too small for me, but I can't say why :rainbow

But I have similar feelings towards the Pacific Salt, which is largely an upsized Delica.

Simple, lightweight, low maintenance and big enough for most tasks I encounter during the day.
:unicorn
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here, here!

I bought another brand of knife with a back lock on it last weekend. Out if the box the thumb studs were loose and it didn’t snap shut properly. I thought, this thing is far worse than any factory second Delica so I returned it.

Here’s what I’m toting today.
Attachments
IMG_4650.jpeg
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:17 pm
too small for me, but I can't say why :rainbow

But I have similar feelings towards the Pacific Salt, which is largely an upsized Delica.

Simple, lightweight, low maintenance and big enough for most tasks I encounter during the day.
Let it go man. I’m confused why you still care this much about it
:bug-red-white
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm allowed to have an opinion on a pocket knife I've used and carried, lol.
:unicorn