Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thojan

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by thojan »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:48 am
Still eager to see the legend that has become the High Performance Delica. Here's to hoping its reveal sometime in 2024!
What is that?
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
Erich

Post by Erich »

thojan wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:59 am
weeping minora wrote:
Still eager to see the legend that has become the High Performance Delica. Here's to hoping its reveal sometime in 2024!
What is that?
Isn't k390 the "high performance delica?"
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Erich wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:07 am
thojan wrote:
weeping minora wrote:
What is that?
High Hollow Grind Delica in VG-10. It has been much discussed and narrowed down to that combo. Here's the excitement/evolutionary thread:

viewtopic.php?t=89435
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

The delica is a significant knife historically and still holds up very well in today's market. It's small, lightweight, cuts like nobody's business, feels great in hand, is easy to open and close one handed, has a strong lock, is completely ambidextrous, and mostly disappears in the pocket. What more do you really NEED from a pocketknife?

I have many pocket knives in many steels, but if you took them all away except a vg10 delica, I would get along just fine.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I keep coming back to the Delica. I have other knives in that size class (Watu and Sage among them), but there is something about the Delica that makes it special. I do wish for silver clips instead of the black painted clips.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Hope to get some good sprints or exclusives of the Delica this year.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:42 am
The delica is a significant knife historically and still holds up very well in today's market. It's small, lightweight, cuts like nobody's business, feels great in hand, is easy to open and close one handed, has a strong lock, is completely ambidextrous, and mostly disappears in the pocket. What more do you really NEED from a pocketknife?

I have many pocket knives in many steels, but if you took them all away except a vg10 delica, I would get along just fine.
I agree the delica functions extremely well in all those categories you listed.

Yet it’s personally not my number one for an edc folder design, I like a spyderco leaf shape blade (Goldilocks shape for edc versatility), an index choil, a more negative blade angle, and a rounded swell handle style, as opposed to the several finger points. I also appreciate when the profile of the knife is gapless when the knife is closed/folded.
:bug-red-white
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:37 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:

I like a spyderco leaf shape blade (Goldilocks shape for edc versatility), an index choil, a more negative blade angle, and a rounded swell handle style, as opposed to the several finger points. I also appreciate when the profile of the knife is gapless when the knife is closed/folded.
Sounds like the caly 😁. Hope they bring it back this year
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:37 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:

I agree the delica functions extremely well in all those categories you listed.

Yet it’s personally not my number one for an edc folder design, I like a spyderco leaf shape blade (Goldilocks shape for edc versatility), an index choil, a more negative blade angle, and a rounded swell handle style, as opposed to the several finger points. I also appreciate when the profile of the knife is gapless when the knife is closed/folded.
Understood. I'm not trying to say it is the perfect knife for everyone (or even for me). Some in the thread seem to be implying that the delica is outdated out lacking necessary modern features and I disagreed.
Calycrazy

Post by Calycrazy »

I agree with Tristan_David2001 regarding Caly vs Delica!

I love the Delica but the Caly is my favorite of all time. Far superior! Near perfect.

Spyderco seems to have locked in on using the design exclusively for the UK penknife.

On the bright side, Spyderco has saved me a lot of money with the lack of iterations and sparse sprint runs for the Caly.

Thanks Spyderco.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Road Tripper wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:08 pm
I keep coming back to the Delica. I have other knives in that size class (Watu and Sage among them), but there is something about the Delica that makes it special. I do wish for silver clips instead of the black painted clips.
Acetone, cloth, and elbow grease reveals a nice almost stone washed finish underneath if you are interested in that for the clips.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Love Hate relationship with Delica for me, still it finds it`s way in my pocket very often. I do love it but I do hate some things on the 4th Gen compared to 2nd Gen. It is peculiar folder, currently carry K390 Delica and Enjoy it a lot. I think Delica has most definitely place in 2024 and will have in upcoming years. It is knife I compare other knives to, ergonomically it is great, K390 version is perfection for me. VG10 is good steel but update of the steel would be welcome on the standard model - with better edge holding.

My "collection" of Spyderco knives shrunk to 16 pieces, all are knives that see regular use and three of them are Delicas. I gave away two 4th gens that were little bit too thick behind the edge after long and hard use and too many sharpening sessions. Those found home in pockets of people, who abuse knives and those VG10 Delicas are still working hard.

I would be very interested if there are some plans for Gen5 in upcoming few years. If I remember correctly first Gen 3 and Gen 4 were released approximately 18 years apart. I know about High Performance Delica rumors, but do we have some "leaks" about potential new generation?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear CalyCrazy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Flash

Post by Flash »

The Pontiac Aztek of the Spyderco lineup. 😀

The K390 being the 5.7 Hemi install. - Hot rod performance but you still have to sit in an Aztek.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:24 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:01 am
Manifestgtr wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:43 am
Since it’s all but inevitable…
IMG_4341.jpeg
Is that a DIY Crucarta model?
That it is…scales were made by this dude in Russia. To be perfectly honest, I forget his name but he does really good work…great texture and tight tolerances.
Pavel Shiskin of Knife Custom Garage.
Did a stint on Etsy until the whole Russiaphobia got him and others removed. Like they had anything do do with geopolitics or world events, but haters gonna hate.
I got his linen micarta scales for my SE wharie Endura.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Great thread folks. Spyderco should be proud they have a product that can inspire a thread like this.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

Out of the multiple knives I own and carry (in my modest collection), across multiple brands, the Delica is the only model that I own multiple of.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As said: The Delica to me is a fundamental, great design concept that got very much refined over the years and so now actually offers a really modern and evolved version of this concept.
For those who prefer other fundamental concepts in that size range, Spyderco offers those too - not "better" or "worse" or "more evolved", just different (different lock - finger choil - thicker blade - whatever - like in Para 3, Native, Sage, Watu...).

So saying that the Delica would be "outdated" (as some do) is a bit hard to understand for me.
Just looking at the product guide (https://publications.spyderco.com/view/27212419/8/):
Six full pages of Delicas, if one also counts the Salt 2 even almost eight pages: I don´t think Spyderco would invest that much in a knife that is "outdated" or would not work great and serve its users well....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:15 pm
Road Tripper wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:08 pm
Acetone, cloth, and elbow grease reveals a nice almost stone washed finish underneath if you are interested in that for the clips.
I’ve done this and the dull matte stainless is very low key. I just soak the clip a few hours in a small, closed, polyethylene tub with a half inch of acetone. The paint just falls off.

If one wants a shiny clip, the next step is to grab your Dremel, charge a felt buff with green chromium oxide compound and go to town on that clip. Personally, I prefer the matte clip.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:30 am
Erich wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:07 am
thojan wrote:
weeping minora wrote:
What is that?
High Hollow Grind Delica in VG-10. It has been much discussed and narrowed down to that combo. Here's the excitement/evolutionary thread:

viewtopic.php?t=89435
It all started when I saw a post from Evil D that struck a chord with me and I ran with it. So you can thank David for the HP Delica if it ever gets made.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79799
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal