End of an Era

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

End of an Era

Post by MacLaren »

With the recent retirements of Roy Williams, Mike Kryzezk- Coach K, Jim Boeheim, & Jay Williams - now Nick Saban retires & if that ain't bad enough, it certainly looks as if Bill Belichick & the Pats will part ways. And, I wouldn't be suprised if Belichick just decides to retire as well. And, even if Belichick does not retire, it's still the end of an era.
Gotta say, I don't like the way sports are heading -.are at even!
College basketball is a mess & now we have the N.F.L. namely Roger Goodell start pimpin out playoff games - as if regular season games weren't bad enough. But, that's another story.
It's sad to see Saban not at Alabama & Belichick not in New England.....
Feel like someone has died almost, with all that I mentioned- just totally depressing to say the least!
Manixguy@1994

Re: End of an Era

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Don’t forget Pete Carroll leaving to go to another job with Seahawks . I agree , we have been spoiled with legends . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

When Bear Bryant retired, everyone thought the same. It took a few years, but then Saban arrived on the scene. Alabama is a force in and of itself. Someone else will rise and take Saban's place. It may take a while. Sad to say, but I think it will not be the next guy because he will not be "Bear" or "Saban". The guy after him has a chance, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Getting older sucks! I know I can't complain about that to the 3 of you, but growing up watching these guys on the sidelines and not seeing them there anymore is a very odd feeling. We all know it's bound to happen, but it really does take away from the game when they leave. Tough, almost impossible shoes to fill!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Robert Kraft F****** SUCKS! 🤬
-Nick :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:05 am
When Bear Bryant retired, everyone thought the same. It took a few years, but then Saban arrived on the scene. Alabama is a force in and of itself. Someone else will rise and take Saban's place. It may take a while. Sad to say, but I think it will not be the next guy because he will not be "Bear" or "Saban". The guy after him has a chance, though.
I hear ya Doc.
I reckon I should've been more clear. Apologies
What I really mean, is that this is truly the end of an era in sports- especially in college with the NIL & Transfer Portal - I'm not sure if we will ever have Dynasties like we witnessed with Saban & Belichick- college directly effects the N.F.L.
Tom Brady says the N.F.L. is mediocrity & it will only get worse imo.
Anyways, it'll be really interesting to see whom Alabama hires for the Head Coaching position
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:19 am
Robert Kraft F****** SUCKS! 🤬
I feel ya Nick....
I know it's not nearly the same level but, I felt that way when Florida State pushed Bobby Bowden out.
FSU was my team back in the day & I was furious when they pushed him out.
I can only imagine what Pats fans are feeling right now. The way I had it figured was that Bobby Bowden should've stayed as dam well long as he wanted (granted he was old) but, if not for Bowden Florida State would be nothing....
Now, Belichick comes in there and wins a Lombardi Trophy every 4 years on average.....thats mind boggling in itself....& if that doesn't earn a man some consideration then nothing will- & nothing ever will because it's the N.F.L. & I understand that. Nonetheless, where would New England be without Belichick- because make no doubt about it, Tom needed Bill, as much as Bill needed Tom.
Skydog

Post by Skydog »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:12 am
...it certainly looks as if Bill Belichick & the Pats will part ways. And, I wouldn't be suprised if Belichick just decides to retire as well. And, even if Belichick does not retire, it's still the end of an era.
Well, not everyone is sad to see the end of the Belichick (and Brady) era. ;)

And many of us haven't liked the way sports has been heading ever since Colin K took a knee...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Skydog wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:20 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:12 am
...it certainly looks as if Bill Belichick & the Pats will part ways. And, I wouldn't be suprised if Belichick just decides to retire as well. And, even if Belichick does not retire, it's still the end of an era.
Well, not everyone is sad to see the end of the Belichick (and Brady) era. ;)

And many of us haven't liked the way sports has been heading ever since Colin K took a knee...
Ha!
I heard that! - Brady & Belichick were hard to beat.
Windward

Post by Windward »

My giants need a new defensive coordinator, maybe bill wants to retire with the team that gave him his first coordinator gig, and really got his career going.

Never gonna happen, but its a nice dream haha
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Fellow Giants fan here, I wonder if there's any chance of Rivera taking a coordinator position, he's a defensive minded guy right??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Windward

Post by Windward »

He is, but i doubt they go that direction. True dream scenario would be to get spags back, but unless KC has some sort of implosion. That wont happen. If they dont hire from within, Leslie frazier is a good option with dabolls history with him. Id also welcome antonio pierce back with open arms, if the raiders decide not to give him the full time gig.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I look for KC Chiefs coach Andy Reid to stick around about another 5 years or so. He sought so hard to find a really good QB and now he's finally gotten Sir Patrick Mahomes. I think if it wasn't for him finding Mahomes that he would have been retired already as well.

I think the writing was on the wall when Lord Brady left the Patriots. It seemed to have deflated Belichick's tires for sure.

My favorite coach of all time is still Tom Landry. And we all know what his majesty Jerry Jones did to him.

Yeah there is a huge paradigm shift in football coaches this year for sure..