Crucarta UKPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgoode315

Crucarta UKPK?

Post by bgoode315 »

It seems like they’re giving most of the Golden models the crucarta treatment, has the ukpk been mentioned for this? I’ve searched the forum and found it mentioned as a wish a few years back in a ukpk thread, but it seems like the s110v version is what came out of that discussion.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Crucarta UKPK?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think it's impossible since the UKPK is linerless.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Regardless whether it is possible or not, I am open to any ukpk versions we can get.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

As Rick mentioned, a CruCarta UKPK would likely require the addition of liners to help support the micarta scales. Similar to how they needed to redesign the liners for the CruCarta Paramilitary 2.

Adding full liners to the UKPK for micarta scales would be relatively easy, in my opinion. I could see it happening.
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’m more down for a crucarta Caly 3 instead
:bug-red-white
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

I have the HH ukpk and noticed that there’s a longer back spacer on that g10 version than the frn has. Is the strength of the material the reason for that? Are no arts and g10 different in strength?

Anyhow, big fan of both the ukpk and cruwear. Was just hoping they’d be paired together someday.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I’d definitely be on board for a crucarta UK. 👍
I thinking full liners, full length back spring, PB washers too.

It would be quite a different beast than the FRN version - More than double the weight I reckon.
The walk and talk should be a nice upgrade though.

Anyway, the more (UKPK’s) the merrier.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

G10 is stiffer and harder than some micarta. Most importantly it is more dimensionally stable.

Micarta and G10 are both strong.

As I understand Spyderco stopped building unlined micarta models after experiencing some problems in stability when shipping between vastly different climates.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

An old quote from Sal to either JD or me (we were tag-teaming him I think)

"We learned a lot from making those unlined Micarta knives. Mostly we learned not to."

So yes, if they did a Micarta UKPK it would likely have full (skeletonized) liners and end up being 50% heavier than the G-10.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Laminate micarta onto g10
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have seen custom made traditional slip joints with G10 liners and micarta scales (or G10 scales and micarta covers in traditional speak).
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This is a great idea. I really don’t understand why a more refined or upgraded version of the ukpk isn’t a thing.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:16 pm
I have seen custom made traditional slip joints with G10 liners and micarta scales (or G10 scales and micarta covers in traditional speak).
That’s a good idea. Is G10/micarta laminate feasible?

Whilst I very much like the idea of a Crucarta UKPK, a steel lined version could feel very heavy.

It’s interesting comparing the weightier feel in hand of the full backspring Urbans to the various UKPKs. That extra steel makes a big difference.
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

I really like the added weight of the full back spacer. I also have the hap40 caly 3 and I really like the weight of it too. It’s got the full back spacer and liners under the g10 and it feels solid and dense in a really nice way. I know some guys like as light as possible, but I don’t notice that little bit of extra weight carrying it clipped in my pocket, and I actually prefer the feel in my hand w a bit of extra mass.
Jefke

Post by Jefke »

I'm also interested in a UKPK with micarta scales, I would definitely buy one, maybe two.

But I'm not sure if Cru-Wear makes much sense. A UKPK is not a hard use knife, so doesn't need the toughness. I think a steel with higher edge retention and/or high edge stability (so it can support low edge angles) makes more sense on a UKPK.

If going for a tool steel I would want one of the following: 15V, 10V (or its counterparts A11 and K294), Z-Max or REX45.
(I'm still hoping Spyderco will make a 15V UKPK sprint, I think it is an awesome steel)

If going for a stainless steel I would want one of the following: S30V, 20CV, S90V or maybe AEB-L.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I know this is a thread about the cruwear version (which would be cool) but how is the UKPK for daily tasks? The SPY27 one would be really cool and am interested in trying one
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Tristan_david2001

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:59 pm
I know this is a thread about the cruwear version (which would be cool) but how is the UKPK for daily tasks? The SPY27 one would be really cool and am interested in trying one
The caly/ukpk design is extremely refined for versatility and good control. For a daily edc it’s up there as one of spydercos best.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:14 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
The caly/ukpk design is extremely refined for versatility and good control. For a daily edc it’s up there as one of spydercos best.
Did the UKPK grow out of the Caly 3? Those are discontinued right?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:21 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:
Actually it was the other way around. The UKPK was designed first, and the Caly 3 came later by basically adding a lock to the existing design.
Tristan_david2001

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:21 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:
Unfortunately… for too long at that.