Katsu knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Larry_Mott

Katsu knives

Post by Larry_Mott »

Anyone own/has owned one?
I have the Ti scale, 17 layer ZDP-189 model in the mail, but is curious bout y'all having any experience with Katsu knives.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JRinFL

Re: Katsu knives

Post by JRinFL »

They have some intriguing designs, to my eye anyway, however Katsu appears to be YACKM.*

"KATSU KNIVES is the main brand of G&M INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD, headquartered in Hong Kong.

With offices in mainland China, Hong Kong and Japan, we have established a solid foundation in the industry, including our state-of-the-art production facility located in mainland China."

*Yet Another Chinese Knife Maker
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've never heard of them. But I'd be very interested to hear your report when you get it, Larry. Please post. :)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I wonder if it's a Japanese-owned company based in Hong Kong/China, for lower manufacturing costs. 'Katsu' is a Japanese name.

Jim
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I got it today, very smooth, very Rockstead-y and scary sharp. I'm happy with it!

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:23 pm
I wonder if it's a Japanese-owned company based in Hong Kong/China, for lower manufacturing costs. 'Katsu' is a Japanese name.

Jim
Apparently the blades are manufactured, or at least heat treated in Japan. Regardless of origin, it's a smooth nice knife with scary sharp convex ground ZDP-189 blade.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:40 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:23 pm

Jim
Apparently the blades are manufactured, or at least heat treated in Japan. Regardless of origin, it's a smooth nice knife with scary sharp convex ground ZDP-189 blade.
Hehehe..I hear ya Larry 😎
If they're good they're good....
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yeah, what matters is the quality, and I must say, that’s a beautiful knife there!

Jim