MT36P K294 MICROCLEAN Mule performance thread

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
VandymanG

MT36P K294 MICROCLEAN Mule performance thread

Post by VandymanG »

I’ve seen a couple threads for the K294 mule but none dedicated to performance testing. So I guess I’ll start this one. I’ll admit I overlooked this one for a while due to how well the AEB-L mule performed. It was just really hard to transition on from that knife. I’m kind of shocked that the K294 mule has not sold out but we did get several mules dropped in a short period of time and this one cost a little bit more.

I had gotten the bevel on this mule down below 15dps but I had also gotten into a bad habit of stropping too much. I was leaving a wire burr on the blade and didn’t realize it. I used diamond plates to re-bevel the mule to 17.5 dps. Then continued with an Arkansas whetstone 600-800 grit and then used a polished jade stone to finish.

For the testing I came up with something new for me to test this and future mules I get. I got molds for epoxy knife scales and I decided to use wood shavings in the knife scales. I took shavings from several different hardwoods - Canary, Black Locust, Padauk, and jatoba wood for the mule testing and the scales I’m making. In between each wood type I did slice testing and push cut testing on cardboard and paper.

The first wood that I carved shavings off of was canarywood with a 1,520 janka scale rating. The mule easily cut shavings off of this wood with no signs of dulling. After finishing the shavings I did a push cut and slice cut test on cardboard and post it note paper. The mule showed no signs of dulling at all.
IMG_1547.jpeg
Next I attacked the Black Locust wood 1,700 Janka scale rating. The mule cut shaving off of this wood almost as easily as the previous wood. During the cardboard slice cut I did notice some resistance on a small part of the blade about an inch down from the tip. No problems on the push cut for both cardboard and paper. The slice cut on the paper confirmed one dull spot with some small tearing.
IMG_1545.jpeg
Wood shavings from a piece of Padauk were next. Padauk has a Janka rating of 1,725 which I know is close to the previous wood hardness and I am planning to change to a harder wood in the future. The results for this wood were identical to the Black Locust wood with the only noticeable difference being a slight lengthening of the dull area on the blade.
IMG_1530.jpeg
The last piece of wood was Jatoba wood 2,350 Janka scale rating. This wood was so hard that the mule struggled to get small shaving pieces off of it when I started. It was a struggle throughout the process and only got harder as the knife dulled more noticeably. I had been hand holding each piece of wood throughout the process and did the same here. But it was painful to hold the wood and to try and slice small pieces of the wood. The mule still had sharp places along the blade which did well on the push cutting. But on the slice cutting for both cardboard and paper the mule showed very noticeable dulling. The cardboard showed some resistance for the first time and the note paper tore in several spots (3).
IMG_1551.jpeg
I used the Arkansas whetstone and piece of jade to sharpen the mule. The mule responded quickly and did not take very many strokes to sharpen. Confirmed the knife was back to a good sharpness by testing on the cardboard and post it note paper.

The take away I had from this is that the knife retained its sharpness pretty well until it hit the hardest wood I had on hand. It was able to complete the job without any touch ups, although I was tempted on the Jatoba wood. The knife performed better than I thought it would at 17.5 dps and it was very easy to re-sharpen.

I won’t really know how this mule compares until I run more mules through this test process. I will test the AEB-L Mule next. I know the bevel angles are very different but I’m still curious to see the difference.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
tcarltonw

Re: MT36P K294 MICROCLEAN Mule performance thread

Post by tcarltonw »

Thanks for reporting back and look forward to seeing the outcome of the handles.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

I also want to see those handles! I do similar carving with my mules, although I'm just carving handle scales from blocks of hardwood. I've noticed that Rex76 is an edge retention beast at this, even with hard woods. Nothing else can really go for very long before the work is much slower going, and it starts feeling dangerous.
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

K294 is NOT a kitchen knife material. Cut up a bunch of sausage and rolls yesterday, gave 'er a quick rinse under hot water and it's rust city under the handle scales today. User error. I expected as much but I thought I'd test it out anyway. Would be fine without a handle, I suppose. It's my first mule and it strikes me that this would be a handy little knife if they wanted to sell it more prominently as a kit or a completed knife with sheath...I'm sure that's already been explored. I'll try to beat it up but keep it dry. Call this commentary on corrosion resistance performance :D

Thanks for the testing, Greg. Curious how the AEB-L fares; I was originally eyeing that one as my first mule.

PS Sal I owe you $10; the guys sent me the wrong sheath. I'll pick up a leather one when the ceramic mule drops--I think this boltaron one rides too high for me but it works ok for pocket carry.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:14 pm
The take away I had from this is that the knife retained its sharpness pretty well until it hit the hardest wood I had on hand. It was able to complete the job without any touch ups, although I was tempted on the Jatoba wood. The knife performed better than I thought it would at 17.5 dps and it was very easy to re-sharpen.

I won’t really know how this mule compares until I run more mules through this test process. I will test the AEB-L Mule next. I know the bevel angles are very different but I’m still curious to see the difference.
Great post! Thanks. Only one of these I've carved was locust (black and honey, pretty close on janks thogh I think honey is just a bit less hard, maybe 10%) and it was some tough stuff (I did carve it with a spydie but I don't think I even had a mule yet), but the comparison and evaluation are great.