Can We Get Better Clip Screws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chronovore

Can We Get Better Clip Screws?

Post by chronovore »

So there I was, trying to justify another Spyderco. The impulse almost won out but ultimately fizzled. It was mostly the fact that I'd have to get another MXG clip for deep carry. That's certainly a subjective choice but what really bothered me is (1) I've had issues with the T6 clip screws in the past and (2) those screw heads will be sticking up into the clip space.

I don't remember which reviewer calls the latter "mushrooms" growing up under the clip but they do cause an obstruction. Just a few days ago, I remember being annoyed by my Smock screws snagging on the pocket of the pants I was wearing. (This is also part of the reason I prefer the wire clips on some models.)

What makes this worse for me as I consider different knives in the current market is that so many of the Chinese manufacturers seem to have gone standard with flush-fitting clip screws, including on their budget models. Sure, most of them are still using T6 but at least they fit flush with the clips.
Coastal

Re: Can We Get Better Clip Screws?

Post by Coastal »

If I understand your question, the clips would have to be redesigned to accept flathead screws (countersunk), and then said screws would have to be provided. I'm not sure that a stamped clip could be properly countersunk. All of my clips using countersunk or recessed screws are milled.

Seem like too big a redesign to me, unless I'm misunderstanding...
vivi

Post by vivi »

can't say I've ever had issues with spydercos clips or clip screws.

"have" to get a deep carry clip? the stock clips do not function at all for you?
:unicorn
Danke

Post by Danke »

Wouldn't it be down to the folks who make the aftermarket clips to supply the proper screws for their product?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Epoxy?
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:38 pm

"have" to get a deep carry clip? the stock clips do not function at all for you?
I know I'm not alone in having had a screw strip. I'm not saying it always happens or anything, just that it has happened to me once. I've heard of it happening to others. It came up in a review for the Military 2 and had me thinking about it.

As far as having to get a clip, I did mention that said need was subjective. Lots of people like the regular clips or having more of the knife above the pocket line. I don't and I'm certainly not alone in that.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:53 am
If I understand your question, the clips would have to be redesigned to accept flathead screws (countersunk), and then said screws would have to be provided. I'm not sure that a stamped clip could be properly countersunk. All of my clips using countersunk or recessed screws are milled.

It would be a redesign but not a big one and it shouldn't be a challenge to do. It would just mean that there wouldn't be screw heads sticking up on the clips. While this causes a specific problem for people switching to deep-carry loop-overs, wouldn't it be nice to not have a trio of screw heads sticking up at the base of the clip?

Like I said, tons of relatively cheap knives do it with inexpensive deep-carry clips. Forgive the quality but here are just a couple of quick pics from a couple of knives that happened to be on my desk. One is a Civivi and one is a Kizer. Both of these are like $40 knives.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

chronovore wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:56 am
... wouldn't it be nice to not have a trio of screw heads sticking up at the base of the clip?

Yes.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
phaust

Post by phaust »

Asking Spyderco to change screws because an aftermarket clip company doesn't provide countersunk screws seems like it's a question being asked in the wrong direction. MXG/Lynch/etc. should be countersinking and providing the right screws. Good on Civivi for doing it right for almost the same price as a MXG/Lynch clip.

With Spyderco's clips, I like the mushroom heads because it adds grip when pulling it from the pocket. I wouldn't like if they countersunk them. They also probably would have to switch to thicker metal, which means more cost for the knife itself and would influence how flexible the clip is.
vivi

Post by vivi »

chronovore wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:37 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:38 pm

I know I'm not alone in having had a screw strip. I'm not saying it always happens or anything, just that it has happened to me once. I've heard of it happening to others. It came up in a review for the Military 2 and had me thinking about it.

As far as having to get a clip, I did mention that said need was subjective. Lots of people like the regular clips or having more of the knife above the pocket line. I don't and I'm certainly not alone in that.
I've stripped screws too but I think it's happened twice since I joined this forum. Not bad for having tinkered with 200+ spydies in that time.

I don't really see an advantage to sinking the screws deeper into the handle. They've never bothered me or gotten in my way.

The stock clips work well. I know some prefer deep carry clips, but like you say it's a choice, it's not something you must do for the knife to function as intended.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

You brought it up, so don't blame me for the harsh criticism. The truth needs to be spoken. If I'm wrong, tell me.

Spyderco produces some nice screws, but also some of the most hideously awful screws that I've ever seen. They are defective and should be thrown in the trash. We can't even blame the screw machine operator, because this has been going on for many years. The poor guy is either working with defective machinery or hasn't received proper training. My first Dragonfly came with awful screws, the replacement screws I asked for were also defective, and the pictures in the new 2024 catalog show defective screws.

Using our nice tools on defective fasteners causes premature wear on the tools. If we could get defective Torx drivers to match the defective Torx screws, maybe the situation wouldn't be as offensive.

Here's a picture of the malformed Torx screw on my Dragonfly:
Photo on 8-24-20 at 9.28 PM.jpg
Here's a blown up picture from the 2024 Catalog:
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.40.31 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.40.31 AM.jpg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 28874 times
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

chronovore wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:56 am
Coastal wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:53 am

It would be a redesign but not a big one and it shouldn't be a challenge to do. It would just mean that there wouldn't be screw heads sticking up on the clips. While this causes a specific problem for people switching to deep-carry loop-overs, wouldn't it be nice to not have a trio of screw heads sticking up at the base of the clip?

Like I said, tons of relatively cheap knives do it with inexpensive deep-carry clips. Forgive the quality but here are just a couple of quick pics from a couple of knives that happened to be on my desk. One is a Civivi and one is a Kizer. Both of these are like $40 knives.

Yes, I would always prefer countersunk screws if they didn't cause other issues, like your (or someone's) example of making the clip thicker. I have a lot of knives with various types of clips, and I've decided I prefer thinner clips like Spyderco's, Lynch's and MXG Gear's.

But yes, I would rather have the screws countersunk if it didn't make the clip thicker and/or, heaven forbid, add height to the clip because it was thicker. While I don't have your specific problem, I believe countersunk screws yield a more finished look and feel.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:58 am
Spyderco produces some nice screws, but also some of the most hideously awful screws that I've ever seen. They are defective and should be thrown in the trash. We can't even blame the screw machine operator, because this has been going on for many years.
Had a Tenacious LW and a Tenacious LW S35vn and wanted to swap the scales. Took 2 knives apart and couldn't put 2 knives back together. I've taken so many knives apart I couldn't believe I ended up failing. Got so desperate after 2 hours I ended up torching all the loctite off and cleaning them with a light scuff pad but the barrels were just as galled and knackered like they'd been cross threaded but it could have just been over torqued soft metal. Can't imagine how people get aftermarket scales on those knives. Can only blame myself since I was doing it for vanity, but if they were both users that needed to be disassembled for maintenance it would have been a big let down.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:40 am
Had a Tenacious LW and a Tenacious LW S35vn and wanted to swap the scales. Took 2 knives apart and couldn't put 2 knives back together. I've taken so many knives apart I couldn't believe I ended up failing. Got so desperate after 2 hours I ended up torching all the loctite off and cleaning them with a light scuff pad but the barrels were just as galled and knackered like they'd been cross threaded but it could have just been over torqued soft metal. Can't imagine how people get aftermarket scales on those knives. Can only blame myself since I was doing it for vanity, but if they were both users that needed to be disassembled for maintenance it would have been a big let down.
I've had this kind of issue before. Spyderco knives can be finicky on disassembly and reassembly even when you aren't swapping parts. They aren't always but they can be. For instance, I did a scale swap on the regular and S35VN Tenacious and developed permanent centering issues. It wasn't my first time with those issues on a Spyderco either.

Lock-tite, issues with screws, issues with lanyard tubes, tricky moments when putting them back together; I feel totally spoiled by other knives that come apart and go together quickly and without issue.

Of course, Spyderco technically doesn't intend for us to be taking our knives apart, swapping parts, using aftermarket parts etc. Knowing that so many people do though, It would be cool to be considered at the next round of upgrades.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a pile of Spyderco knives and I don't think I've ever had an issue with a clip screw. I might've had one with a funky torx head on a Seki knife but no issue removing it with a Wiha bit. I also don't have any issues with the type of screw. They work fine with the clips provided. If you have an issue with using those screws with after market clips maybe you should be addressing that with the maker of the aftermarket clip. I have some of those too. I have several Lynch clips and a few from MX Gear. No issue that I've noticed. If there was I'd address it with the maker of the clip
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!