New on board, hello and first question...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderJunky

New on board, hello and first question...

Post by SpyderJunky »

Greetings well informed aichmomaniacs!
I have a new found appreciation/fascination/compulsion/obsession with knives, edges, steels, blade shapes and their qualities. For me, personally, this is mostly centered around EDC, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and other outdoor activities. Not so much around pointy, stabby, deadly self defense stuff, but that has its place too.
It just started this past fall when I lost my second expensive EDC folder in the span of the last four or five years. It's stung like losing an expensive pair of sunglasses. So I did what i've done with sunglasses and flooded myself with cheap models while deciding on what expensive model I would take better care of. I picked up 5-7 less expensive knives just to see what kind of stuff was out there and what would be worth spending my good money on.
A $60 Chinese made Spyderco Emphasis in 8CR13MOV ran away with the cake. I found out I was enamored with this piece compared to the new SOG, Gerber, Camillus, CRKT, pieces I also picked up...
I decide to pick up a couple of the US made Spyderco models, and I was hooked. Off to the races, so to speak.
I now have a total of five picked up since September and wishing for (at least) that many more... I'm waiting for my second PM2 to arrive any day now.
I noticed the large amount of knowledge and input on this forum while perusing for a few weeks, so I figured I would join to learn as much as I can.
My first question (I figured if I asked here,
I would get more input than calling and bothering the customer service department) concerns scale swaps on the PM2.
I have the CruCarta PM2 and am waiting on a black on black PM2 in S45VN. One of the first things I want to do is switch the scales out from knife to knife. Is this just a simple switch out or is there something different about the liner on the micarta model that would prevent swapping? Simple question, but I thought I read somewhere about the G10 scales 'nesting' the liner inside some grooves...
TIA for all input...
And I'll have some other questions for other models and future runs, I'll get to them either in this thread or I new one...
Glad to join in the conversation, thanks all!
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
sal

Re: New on board, hello and first question...

Post by sal »

Hi SpyderJunky,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

You won't be able to simply swap the scales. The liners on the CruCarta PM2 are the full width of the scales, but on G10 versions the scales are milled out with liners set into them. It may be possible to swap blades, but I don't tend to modify my knives in that way so others will have to chime in with experience on that.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Thanks W_A!
That answers my question perfectly as that is the exact scenario I was trying to describe...

On the spyderco website, I don't see any information about available parts such as scales and spacers and hardware, etc... with the exception of the short page about replacing clips. So I take it all replacement scales and parts are after market?
I imagine it would be pretty hard to find replacements for those CruCarta scales vs finding micarta replacements for the G10 model I have coming.
vivi

Post by vivi »

As mentioned in the post above, the construction of your two PM2's is different enough a straight swap won't work.

However, there are a ton of aftermarket scale options available, so you should be able to find something to suit your wishes by going that route.

Welcome to the forum!
:unicorn
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Thx!
I'm seeing some good stuff for both knives at AWT.
Getting deeper in the worm hole... haha.
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Thx yall!
...answered my question perfectly...
Can't figure out why my previous response did not show up...
Ya, I'm not interested in changing a blade out. I just wanted to get an earth tone on that black on black...
More lare!
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:10 pm
One of the first things I want to do is switch the scales out from knife to knife.
Welcome!
There's a recent thread on aftermarket handle scales:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95833

Ramonade and Kobold have fairly complete lists:
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:05 pm
AWT
RC Bladeworks
Ripps Garage Tech
Sharp Dressed Knives
Original Goat
Flytanium (some people have QC issues but if you contact the dealer or flytanium themselves they'll sort it out everytime)
Cuscadi.de
Aramis Akhmedov (but I can't link his website, don't know how his situation is right now)
- Richard
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've had good experiences with bladescales micarta scales for my manixes. the texture is really great.

eta: i meant to also say welcome! :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

K,
How bout a second question concerning a lockback I want... ?
I have a Siren in LC200N and I have a Native 5 Salt Lightweight in Magnacut.
I also want either a Native Chief Salt in Magnacut or a PM2 Salt in Magnacut.
The action on my Siren is awesome. When the lock back is depressed, the blade will drop open by gravity and drop shut by gravity.
The Narive 5 Lightweight has a fair amount of smooth friction until it hits a very clicky opening detent. I am pretty sure it is supposed to be this way. Maybe there is so much friction because it is linerless and turning on the FRN surface (with no washers?)... idk. Love them both anyway...
My question is that I'm wondering if the Native Chief will run more like the Siren or the Native 5.
Does anyone have any experience with the Native Chief opening and closing by gravity? Is my Siren an outlier?
I did see some scales for the Native 5 that had washers included and I thought that may free it up some, even at the cost of an extra 1/2oz.
If the Native Chief runs as stiff as the Native 5, I think I would rather get a Salt PM2.
Anybody have experience with the pair of these two lock backs plus the native chief?
Thanks in advance!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Welcome! A blade swap should work.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Welcome…AWT scales are incredible as are Sharp dressed knives and RGT…might try karbadize as well 👊
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:36 pm
Thx yall!
...answered my question perfectly...
Can't figure out why my previous response did not show up...
Ya, I'm not interested in changing a blade out. I just wanted to get an earth tone on that black on black...
More lare!
The first few posts you make are "moderated" so won't show up right away. I can't remember how many posts it takes but that will stop at some point and your posts will go live right away.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome, Spyder Junkie!

And, like Brock O Lee, I would think just swapping the blades and not the scales should work and give you what you want too.

If the actions and everything will stay exactly the same afterwards I don´t know. I figure though there won´t be real, technical (cqi) changes have been made between the two blades, and if it does not work out to your liking: Switching back the blades would be no problem, right?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

I appreciate all the replies.
My post delayer finally popped up my next question up there... Not sure how long it takes to come out of that probation, but I'll get my postcount up in case it's a postcount thing...
But back to the first Q... I'm HOPING a blade swap will not do the trick because i'm HOPING that the black on black PM2 has a black liner and black parts and screws.

I think it does...
iMarkup_20240101_180133.jpg
I did find a perfect set of micarta scales for it on the advised websites.
Exactly why I joined this forum... win, win!
Thank You.

Now, anybody have some a that great input about my second question above concerning the Native Chief?
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:54 am
I appreciate all the replies.
My post delayer finally popped up my next question up there... Not sure how long it takes to come out of that probation, but I'll get my postcount up in case it's a postcount thing...
But back to the first Q... I'm HOPING a blade swap will not do the trick because i'm HOPING that the black on black PM2 has a black liner and black parts and screws.

I think it does...
iMarkup_20240101_180133.jpg

I did find a perfect set of micarta scales for it on the advised websites.
Exactly why I joined this forum... win, win!
Thank You.

Now, anybody have some a that great input about my second question above concerning the Native Chief?
Older runs of PM2's only had black blades. Newer versions have black liners as well. Same with a lot of other models like the full sized Military folder.

Definitely get the newer version. Not only do they look better, but the black paint helps prevent rust forming on the liners.

As far as the Chief goes the action depends on the pivot screw tightness more than anything. If the pivot is loose enough the blade will drop shut simply by holding the knife horizontal and depressing the lock release. I prefer to manually control the close action through the full arc so I set my pivots a bit tighter to prevent that. You may experience very slight side to side blade play if you loosen the pivot up enough to accomodate this, however.
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Native Chief in G10 is pretty smooth out of the box. The Native 5 LW takes a bit to work in. Definitely the FRN and no washers attributes to this. But have no fear, it will wear in with time and be very smooth. I would guess the same with the Chief LW if that is what you are looking at.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Welcome!
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome to the forum!