Shiny spots-please help.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MUAlum2013

Shiny spots-please help.

Post by MUAlum2013 »

I posted this on Reddit but didn't get much of an answer so decided to come here. Idk what's going on but both my Para 3 BD1N and Lil Native on s45vn seem to get shiny spots so quickly. I decided to get rid of the factory edge and then see (I used a Work Sharp Field Sharpener so 20 on the diamond plates and 25 on ceramic). Both knives razor sharp, burrs removed, and no reflection at all. I literally cut open 1 piece of mail and opened up a salad in a plastic bag. That's it and my s45vn Lil Native has a shiny spot. Just like it did with the factory edge, it's getting these spots so fast. My Para 3, I sharpened it the same way. I cut 1 strip of cardboard probably 8 inches in length and there are 2 spots now. What is going on? I always thought these shiny spots mean that area is dull, flat, or rolled so that's what I'm assuming it means. How can bd1n or especially s45vn get a spot that fast? Before I use it there is nothing. No reflection at all. Then I use it very lightly and its there. Both seem to cut paper just as smooth/buttery with the shiny spot as without it so I'm not sure what's going on. Any one have any ideas? It's so frustrating. I hope I'm overreacting and the spots mean nothing but idk. My d2 qsp Parrot, it took like 2 weeks of everyday use before any shiny spots.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks everyone.
The Mastiff

Re: Shiny spots-please help.

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd guess the burr isn't gone but still there and making it feel really sharp until use when it folds and does as you see. That is my guess anyways. Good luck.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MUAlum,

Welcome to our forum.

Hard to speculate on your question without more "hands on" testing.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

No expert here, but it has to be a burr or wire edge, doesn't it?
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

MUAlum2013 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:01 pm
I always thought these shiny spots mean that area is dull, flat, or rolled so that's what I'm assuming it means.

Both seem to cut paper just as smooth/buttery with the shiny spot as without it so I'm not sure what's going on.
Seems like a flawed hypothesis then. Polished edges and coarse edges both cut, what do you mean by shiny spots? Maybe pictures could help?

Being shiny is the property of a surface having fine enough scratches that light is reflected to your eye in a more consistent linear way instead of being scattered in random directions. Are the things you're cutting leaving finer scratches than your edge finish?
sal

Post by sal »

I think he means shiny spots when looking a the edge with the light coming from over your shoulder. Usually "shiny spots" are n indication of a dulled spot on the edge of a blade.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sounds like what you are doing with the field sharpener by hand should be putting a fairly durable edge on your knives. I agree with the others that it may be a burr issue. Maybe try again with the fine diamond side. Make sure you are hitting the edge and check the edges after. Then skip the ceramic and use the leather strop piece. Alternate sides for each pass on the strop to try an weaken any remaining burr and remove it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
MUAlum2013

Post by MUAlum2013 »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:08 pm
I think he means shiny spots when looking a the edge with the light coming from over your shoulder. Usually "shiny spots" are n indication of a dulled spot on the edge of a blade.

sal
Yes that's what I meant. So after sharpening I use a flashlight on the edge and zero reflecting. Then after a few light use, there are 2 or 3 spots on the edge that now reflect light.
MUAlum2013

Post by MUAlum2013 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:53 pm
Sounds like what you are doing with the field sharpener by hand should be putting a fairly durable edge on your knives. I agree with the others that it may be a burr issue. Maybe try again with the fine diamond side. Make sure you are hitting the edge and check the edges after. Then skip the ceramic and use the leather strop piece. Alternate sides for each pass on the strop to try an weaken any remaining burr and remove it.

I'm going to do as you said and try again. Thank you.
MUAlum2013

Post by MUAlum2013 »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:45 pm
That's what I thought but when I shine a light immediately after sharpening there are no reflections back. I cut a few things and check again with a light and there are now a couple spots that are reflecting. Idk if I'm doing something wrong.
MUAlum2013

Post by MUAlum2013 »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:53 pm
MUAlum2013 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:01 pm
I always thought these shiny spots mean that area is dull, flat, or rolled so that's what I'm assuming it means.

Both seem to cut paper just as smooth/buttery with the shiny spot as without it so I'm not sure what's going on.
Seems like a flawed hypothesis then. Polished edges and coarse edges both cut, what do you mean by shiny spots? Maybe pictures could help?

Being shiny is the property of a surface having fine enough scratches that light is reflected to your eye in a more consistent linear way instead of being scattered in random directions. Are the things you're cutting leaving finer scratches than your edge finish?
From my understanding, after you sharpen a knife or if the edge has nothing wrong, no light should be reflecting. After I sharpen, I shine a flashlight and nothing is reflecting so I'm like okay thats good but then after I cut a few things/very light work, I shine the flashlight on the edge and now there are a few areas that are reflecting light back.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

MUAlum2013 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:15 pm
cabfrank wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:45 pm
That's what I thought but when I shine a light immediately after sharpening there are no reflections back. I cut a few things and check again with a light and there are now a couple spots that are reflecting. Idk if I'm doing something wrong.
I actually think this adds to the burr theory. Burrs can be aligned with edge and not as noticeable. Alternating passes on a strop can help eliminate them if you cannot on the plates.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

The others have given solid advice for fixing the immediate issue, so I'll just add:

You may want to pick up a loupe. An inexpensive jewelers loupe can really help diagnose edge weirdness. I saw Sal recommend one a while back, and as always, he knew what he was talking about (that kid is going places, mark my words).
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

People always argue with me but burrs are the devil. Avoid causing them and make sure you grind away any that appear.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Most likely a perfectly aligned burr folding over during the first cuts, like many mentioned in this thread.

I found this booklet about the science of the burr, "Knife Deburring" by Dr. Vadim Kraichuk, very insightful.

Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQ48WG7

A useful test for a burr he mentions, is to push-cut monofilament fishing line perpendicular on a cutting board with a fresh edge. If a shiny spot appears, you have a burr that folded over. A well-formed, burr-free apex would not take any damage with this test.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Running the edge through some bass wood will help with burrs sometimes. Worth a try.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Brock O Lee,

Thanx for the link. Ordered.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:28 pm
A useful test for a burr he mentions, is to push-cut monofilament fishing line perpendicular on a cutting board with a fresh edge. If a shiny spot appears, you have a burr that folded over. A well-formed, burr-free apex would not take any damage with this test.

Neat test. Thanks for that, will use.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
MUAlum2013

Post by MUAlum2013 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:20 pm
The others have given solid advice for fixing the immediate issue, so I'll just add:

You may want to pick up a loupe. An inexpensive jewelers loupe can really help diagnose edge weirdness. I saw Sal recommend one a while back, and as always, he knew what he was talking about (that kid is going places, mark my words).
I just got 1. Going to check out the edge and see what's going on.
MUAlum2013

Post by MUAlum2013 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:28 pm
Most likely a perfectly aligned burr folding over during the first cuts, like many mentioned in this thread.

I found this booklet about the science of the burr, "Knife Deburring" by Dr. Vadim Kraichuk, very insightful.

Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQ48WG7

I'm going to check out the booklet and do the test. Thank you!