Stretch XL Salt Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Stretch XL Salt Observations

Post by vivi »

Ongoing thread for the Stretch XL Salt.

Copied from another thread:
vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:41 pm
here's a look at the tip profile & a comparison with a pe pacific salt 2 tip. this pacific salt has a thinned out edge but the tip is otherwise stock, not one of my thinned out tips.

it's meaty but not quite as beefy as the pacific.

for comparison here is a chief on the left and the vg10 ffg stretch xl on the right

kinda sad seeing the inevitable dethroning of the pacific salt. been a favorite of mine for a very long time now. I wanna say I got my first pinned pacific 1 around 2008 or 2009.

the stretch ergos always worked better for me than the endura.

gonna hold off on buying 17 pre-need backups like I did with pacific salts until I handle the chief salt though. that one could still end up being the best out of the three for me. we'll see.
for reference here is the thread for the VG10 Stretch XL - viewtopic.php?t=92147
:unicorn
Coastal

Re: Stretch XL Salt Observations

Post by Coastal »

I wonder if other steels will follow H2 in hollow grind.

To me, the best use of this knife is hunting, and I can't decide whether I'd rather have H2 for ease of touchup in the field, or MagnaCut so it wouldn't need touching up as often. Or Vanax, which Spyderco doesn't use. It doesn't really matter, since I no longer hunt, but still...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:03 pm

To me, the best use of this knife is hunting, and I can't decide whether I'd rather have H2 for ease of touchup in the field, or MagnaCut so it wouldn't need touching up as often. Or Vanax, which Spyderco doesn't use. It doesn't really matter, since I no longer hunt, but still...
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/06/18/ ... retention/

I've been talking about coarse vs fine edges elsewhere and just re-read this article. It reinforces how there's not much sense getting too hung up on the edge retention differences between steels, as geometry and edge finish will often play a larger role.
vivi

Post by vivi »

size is nearly identical to old faithful

tried to give a better look at the hollow grind

QC is better on this salt example than my vg10 version. Unlocking is smoother and the edge is much more even.

Edge is very smooth and polished feeling at the apex. Not how I plan to keep it. Might carry it as is for tomorrow, but I'll definitely be putting a coarser edge on it soon.

clip feels different than those two pacifics. feels kind of like dlc.

opening hole is very crisp on mine. if you prefer yours sharp you'll like it.

balance point is right on the point between the choil and the main grip. a little more blade heavy in the balance vs the vg10 ffg version as expected, but a hair less blade heavy vs a pacific salt 2 when I grip it how I normally do.

less handle flex than a pacific 2, which is nice. quick test - https://streamlala.com/k6Jmd/

out of box clip tension is light to medium. stronger retention than the pictured pacific 2, not as strong as the pacific 1. my preference is for a bit stronger retention. I will probably modify that at some point, but I'll try carrying it for a while first. strong clip retention isn't as important with lightweight knives.

much easier to clip to a pocket or waistband vs the knife I carried today, a cold steel recon 1

one of those little details spyderco tends to do better than others.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Not fully sure why, but I think this was the salt in the reveal I was most excited to see.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:33 pm
Coastal wrote:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/06/18/ ... retention/

I've been talking about coarse vs fine edges elsewhere and just re-read this article. It reinforces how there's not much sense getting too hung up on the edge retention differences between steels, as geometry and edge finish will often play a larger role.
Pretty much all of my H1 knives end up reprofiled to 30 degrees inclusive, at 220 or 300 grit. My uses never require a steeper "sturdier" angle, and going to a higher grit takes longer and doesn't make the knife cut any better -- maybe worse -- as you've said before. This is the edge I'll put on the Stretch Salt when I've finished with the knife I'm working on now.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:14 pm
Not fully sure why, but I think this was the salt in the reveal I was most excited to see.
I was actually thinking about skipping it because I convinced myself I'd prefer the chief salt to this one, but Sal calling me out and this coming out before the Chief convinced me to order one. Even if I do end up preferring the chief, I'm happy to have some H2 to test.
Coastal wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:24 pm
Pretty much all of my H1 knives end up reprofiled to 30 degrees inclusive, at 220 or 300 grit. My uses never require a steeper "sturdier" angle, and going to a higher grit takes longer and doesn't make the knife cut any better -- maybe worse -- as you've said before. This is the edge I'll put on the Stretch Salt when I've finished with the knife I'm working on now.

Looks like you're going to have to reprofile to a thicker edge if you want 30 degrees inclusive :smlling-eyes

I measured the edge bevel to 25 degrees inclusive.

My low tech way of measuring this is to carefully push an edge straight into a bar of soap, then take a picture of the V notch, zoom in and measure it against a protractor.

Not the smartest way of doing things but it gives a reasonably accurate measurement.

Props to Spyderco. This is close to where I reprofile most my pocket knives. 12.5dps is rare to see on a factory knife.

I'll keep the factory angle for now, but I'm more than likely slapping a 200-300 grit bevel on it tonight.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Hahaha! Wowza...
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm tempted to try this.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mardis Gras? Would be interested to see how the purple comes out.
-Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:14 pm
if it weren't for the manix, i'd feel the same way. this is definitely one on my radar. i've been wanting to grab a 4" knife lately, so this and the chief are contending for that spot.

threads like this are making that decision difficult.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Stas

Post by Stas »

Subscribed, thanks!

And patiently waiting for them to become available in Europe. Need a stunt double for my Cruwear SXL :D
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Coastal wrote:

Agree that this will likely be a great hunting knife. I have a fixed blade skinner in Nitro-V with hollow grind and it's been a pleasure to use. H2 will be more carefree and likely just need a touch up after every two deer.
Dave
USAF Retired
endura3

Post by endura3 »

vivi wrote:
My low tech way of measuring this is to carefully push an edge straight into a bar of soap, then take a picture of the V notch, zoom in and measure it against a protractor.

Not the smartest way of doing things but it gives a reasonably accurate measurement.
That's.... pretty darn smart honestly. A soap goniometer 😂
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

If you’ve tested it out much yet: how does it cut?

A hollow grind and that stretch blade shape I imagine pairs into a being cutting machine.
:bug-red-white
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

12.5 degrees per side! That is good to hear for sure. Got me looking forward to getting mine (scheduled for this upcoming Wed. Jan 3rd) even more now.

I'll see what I see when I get mine of course, but tentatively planning on my "normal" thinning and coarse (200-300 grit) edge bevel. 12.5°per side! Love seeing that!

Thanks for posting up what you have so far vivi

u.w.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:27 pm

Now THAT is clever. Well done Vivi.

Ever had a chance to compare your soap goniometer to a real one?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

EDIT - Post moved to “Random: General Spydie Chat” to avoid hijacking this thread.
-Nick :bug-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Stretch2 XL Lightweight Salt H-2

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln