Godzilla Minus One

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Godzilla Minus One

Post by Doc Dan »

I saw Godzilla Minus One a couple of days ago. In many ways, this was the best Godzilla. The personal stories were great and real feeling. I like that the music and a number of other things paid homage to the original movie. This one takes place chronologically before the 1954 classic.

One thing I really appreciate is that in this movie Godzilla is a monster. it is not a pet, a savior of the world, combating global warming, or any of the other junk like recent Godzilla movies.

It is a big hit at the box office.

Have any of you seen it? What did you think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Re: Godzilla Minus One

Post by James Y »

I haven't seen it yet, but I definitely plan to someday. I don't go to movie theaters anymore, and haven't been to one in over 5 years, but I'll find a way to see it somehow.

I've heard it's gotten excellent reviews, and others have also called it the best Godzilla. And of course, I hear that it's far better than anything coming out of Hollyweird, which is no surprise.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It is a very good movie and unlike some of the crazy "hollyweird" movies, this Godzilla is mortal. However, it is a real and terrifying monster. The hero is not so heroic, more like normal people would be in the face of something like that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I watched Godzilla Minus One (2023) in the theaters on December 5, 2023 a few days after it opened in U.S. Overall, it’s a superb movie on many levels. It’s a Godzilla origins story starting in the final days of WWII and Godzilla getting bigger with successive atomic explosions after WWII ended. It’s the best Godzilla movie. I can’t believe the budget was just $15 million. In Hollywood it’d be closer to $200 million. It’s an excellent sci-fi movie with lots of emotional scenes. A great addition to the genre and subgenre. It has gotten stellar reviews from both critics and audiences.

https://youtu.be/OPIKfDGmNaM?si=jPWgw_jhagn60R4I
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, it really deserves the praise it has gotten. I will watch it again, real soon.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:10 pm
Yeah, it really deserves the praise it has gotten. I will watch it again, real soon.

It’s doing really well at the box office but deserves more praise and dollars. I think people assume that it’s just another Monster or Godzilla movie but it’s so much more than that. It has depth. It’s a well-rounded movie.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:21 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:10 pm

It’s doing really well at the box office but deserves more praise and dollars. I think people assume that it’s just another Monster or Godzilla movie but it’s so much more than that. It has depth. It’s a well-rounded movie.
Yeah, it doesn't rely on CGI and no acting. It is acting first and then CGI.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

It is a fantastic movie. I agree with all that is said here above.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Godzilla Minus One has reached the $100 million mark at the box office with U.S. accounting for 53% of that and Japan 37%. This is all from a slim budget of $15 million which means we’ll see more sequels like it.

The movie was one of just five recently nominated for an Oscar in Visual Effects.

There is a Black & White version in theaters now called Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color but apparently for just a week.

https://youtu.be/g4nR1BI_33Y?si=jBWPL_5uTsiahZoJ
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtube.com/shorts/-HKaJ_hGCKc?si=BHRBvO7cNs87f3tE
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I heard somewhere that a sequel is in the works.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am
I heard somewhere that a sequel is in the works.

I don’t think the sequel is currently in the works. What I’ve read is that they’ll take a slow approach to the sequel to produce another quality movie and not produce one quickly to cash in. Godzilla Minus One has now made over $105 million at the box office on a $15 million budget so a sequel is coming but not so soon.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The thing I like about this movie is that it is my opinion that it will have longevity, like the original.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I watched it again, today. Great movie. When the men on the ships realize their plan didn't work and they were about to die, everything was silent. Just the looks on their faces made you believe it. The acting was really good.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Waiting for streaming rental and purchase which can’t be too far off. Definitely the best Godzilla movie ever made.

1. Godzilla Minus One (2023)
2. Godzilla (1954)
3. Shin Godzilla (2016)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:28 pm
Waiting for streaming rental and purchase which can’t be too far off. Definitely the best Godzilla movie ever made.

2. Godzilla (1954)
3. Shin Godzilla (2016)
That line up is accurate, to my way of thinking.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:28 pm

2. Godzilla (1954)
3. Shin Godzilla (2016)
That line up is accurate, to my way of thinking.

We think alike on the Godzilla movies.

I looked at lists of Godzilla movies and apparently there are 37 of them which include both Japanese and American productions. Lots of garbage in there! One I saw listed in several places as a good one is Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995) which I don’t recall ever watching.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Godzilla Minus One (2023) just won the Oscar for Best Visual Effects!

:clapping-hands
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I didn't watch the Oscars. I never do. I got disgusted with them years ago.

I am glad it won and the affects were very good. I wish it had been nominated for more. Some of those actors really made you feel their pain and grief.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:19 pm
I didn't watch the Oscars. I never do. I got disgusted with them years ago.

I am glad it won and the affects were very good. I wish it had been nominated for more. Some of those actors really made you feel their pain and grief.

The Oscars shows were overly politicized starting in 2016 but it has “normalized” somewhat now.

Godzilla Minus One wasn’t watched by many. I think many thought it’s just another monster movie but they’re wrong. It’s a fully developed movie on many levels. Waiting for it to start streaming.

The movie has made over $106 million on a $15 million budget.