Best fixed blade replacement for the Ka-bar?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
toomanyquestions

Best fixed blade replacement for the Ka-bar?

Post by toomanyquestions »

During WWII many soldiers carried a Ka-bar for a variety of tasks; today knife enthusiasts have a plethora of quality options that will fill the same roles.

If you were transported back in time to serve in a 20th century war, or you were placed in a gritty survival situation that called for a knife that could do ordinary tasks and excel in a tactical role, what fixed blade knife would you take?

I am likewise interested in your logic if you are inclined to simply choose a stout folder (blade steel, lock type, length, etc).

I am eager for insight into the modern fixed blade options; informed opinions are cheaper than sales events!
Last edited by toomanyquestions on Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Naperville

Re: What is your favorite quasi-tactical fixed blade?

Post by Naperville »

Never been in the military yet I hear they do not carry many extra tools other than a Leatherman. Nonetheless, I'll tell you what I like and would try to carry into battle:

- Spartan-Harsey Fighter (Might be S35VN, S45VN, ....and below I provide a link to a 1095 model)
- CRKT 2709 Clever Girl Fixed 4.6" SK5 Black Blade, G10 Handles
- Spyderco Native Chief Lightweight Salt CPM Magnacut
- Microtech Combat Troodon, 2024 edition has 4 inch M390MK blade
Last edited by Naperville on Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Re: Best fixed blade replacement for the Ka-bar?

Post by Ankerson »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:50 pm
During WWII many soldiers carried a Ka-bar for a variety of tasks; today knife enthusiasts have a plethora of quality options that will fill the same roles.

If you were transported back in time to serve in a 20th century war, or you were placed in a gritty survival situation that called for a knife that could do ordinary tasks and excel in a tactical role, what fixed blade knife would you take?

I am likewise interested in your logic if you are inclined to simply choose a stout folder (blade steel, lock type, length, etc).

I am eager for insight into the modern fixed blade options; informed opinions are cheaper than sales events!

Back in the 80's when I was in the USMC I carried a variety of different fixed blades depending on were I was and what I was doing.

Ranged from K-Bars to Gerber MK1 and MK2's to Buck 119 to a Buckmaster to a Randall Model 1.

If I was in today I would carry a Randall Model 14 in Stainless and wouldn't even need to double think it.

Would likely keep an SAK or Leatherman in my pack for the Multi-tool.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Out of the WWII generation, I always thought the Ka-bar and the Cattaraugus bore a similar resemblance and manufacturing process.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

3v srk

The hollow ground sk5 srk has proven itself to me, and this version is even stronger.

more pics here - viewtopic.php?p=1759610#p1759610
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:52 pm
3v srk

The hollow ground sk5 srk has proven itself to me, and this version is even stronger.

The Cold Steel SRK was also what I was thinking. Although TBH, I've never owned an SRK. I have handled some in the past. How us the quality of Cold Steel's products now, under the new ownership?

I don't have a lot of fixed blades. I do own a few of the older SOG fixed blades; a SOG Seal 2000, a Seal Pup, and a Tsunami. All three were made in Seki, Japan, and are of good quality. My favorite of the 3 is the Tsunami, but I wouldn't have selected any of them to take if I had served in the military (I never did).

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
3v srk

The 3V SRK is on my BUY list. The steel is a good choice for the knife, and the knife profile is all business for it's size.
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:17 pm
vivi wrote:
3v srk

The Cold Steel SRK was also what I was thinking. Although TBH, I've never owned an SRK. I have handled some in the past. How us the quality of Cold Steel's products now, under the new ownership?

I don't have a lot of fixed blades. I do own a few of the older SOG fixed blades; a SOG Seal 2000, a Seal Pup, and a Tsunami. All three were made in Seki, Japan, and are of good quality. My favorite of the 3 is the Tsunami, but I wouldn't have selected any of them to take if I had served in the military (I never did).

Jim
My oldest SRK is from after they switched from AUS8 to SK5 but before the GSM buyout. Quality seems the same with that one as my newest SK5 models.

I think the SRK's are one of the best values on the market right now. The basic SK5 version is $32 at chicagoknifeworks and it performs a lot like 1095. That's about 1/5th the price of an ESEE 6.

The quality doesn't seem any worse on their SRK's, SRKC's, Recon Tantos or folders.

Now, I have heard the machetes aren't coming with as good of an edge as they used to, but all of mine are pre-gsm. They didn't come very sharp either way, and in fact that's why I bought my belt sander in the first place.

I've also heard mixed things about their swords, but I haven't bought a sword since I was on the budk mailing list so I'm no help there :rofl

As far as SOG goes, I never warmed up to them too much. None of their folders stayed in my collection for more than a few weeks before I traded them off. I did score a seal pup elite for $15 that was a ridiculous bargain, but as I prefer the SRK / SRKC handles it's just a glove box beater for me. Stuck a PST in the sheath pocket.

SRK + Leatherman Rebar can handle pretty much anything I'd need a small knife or multitool to handle.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My Grandpa carried a KaBar in Korea, and I'm lucky enough to have inherited it. It's not pretty, but it tells a story.

I think the key with the KABAR is that it's kind of like the A-10 Warthog - a workhorse, not very sexy. Cheap, mass-produced, yet effective. 90% tool, 10% weapon, if you'll allow me to make that distinction. Vivi's SRK is certainly a good stand-in - especially in 3V. Heck, the KABAR is also a good choice, as it is still made today and still tough as ever.

However, I'd argue the cool thing about the knife industry today is that we have better steels, better manufacturing processes, and better knives available to us now. And let's keep it American-made, to fit with tradition + sympathies both. Oh, and we'll ignore the Magnacut KABAR - simply too obvious.

The Chris Reeve Green Beret is the first to come to mind, especially in CPM-4V. When I was working in the industry, this was the pinnacle of tactical.

For something a little more handmade, and a little more neutral in hand, I'd put the Bark River Bravo Strike Force 2 forward.

Benchmade just put out a new 7" SOCP dagger that you might consider, although it's a bit thinner than the others here, and certainly less utilitarian:

These are all 7" blades, like the Kabar. Personally, I think I'd go for something just a bit smaller + lighter.

I like the CRK Pacific a LOT.

The Spartan-Harsey Difensa is another compelling option at 6.25". Bill Harley supposedly designed it for the Canadian special forces.

I'll close with a more affordable option, the venerable ESEE 6. Big enough to do some serious damage, light enough to be nimble. I really like this knife, and can't understand folks who prefer the 5:

The ESEE 6HM is worth a mention as well, although I think that if I was doing a lot of stabbing I might prefer the regular handle:
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Spartan Harsey Fighter in 1095 cro van, < $128, and for that price I may even buy one.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SNSBSL ... ded-sheath
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:00 am
Spartan Harsey Fighter in 1095 cro van, < $128, and for that price I may even buy one.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SNSBSL ... ded-sheath
that's pretty slick looking. like a kabar blade with a modern handle.
toomanyquestions

vivi wrote:
3v srk

I wondered about the SRK (and its quality) - I saw it for sub $130 recently, which seemed to be a good price given the steel.
toomanyquestions

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:26 pm
My Grandpa carried a KaBar in Korea, and I'm lucky enough to have inherited it. It's not pretty, but it tells a story.

For something a little more handmade, and a little more neutral in hand, I'd put the Bark River Bravo Strike Force 2.

These are all 7" blades, like the Kabar. Personally, I think I'd go for something just a bit smaller + lighter.
I was wondering about BR - I thought I remembered they had one.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:33 pm
I was wondering about BR - I thought I remembered they had one.
They make quite a few, but for the most part they’re more utilitarian than tactical. Checkout the Bravo 2 and Aurora 2 also.

Supposedly, Mike is doing a Mk. 2, otherwise known as a KABAR, sometime next year. Their Quartermaster, which is their take on the Mk.1, and their Quartermaster EDC, which is a smaller version, were really well done.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

kennethsime, that M4 CRK is also a beauty. I've always admired their one piece A2 knife as well. If I ever decide to break my $200 limit on knives I'll be considering some of their fixed blades. Never heard a bad thing about them.
toomanyquestions wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:30 pm
vivi wrote:
3v srk

I wondered about the SRK (and its quality) - I saw it for sub $130 recently, which seemed to be a good price given the steel.
Midway puts them on sale for just under $100 a few times a year. I don't know kf any other 3V knives under $100, much less a stout 6" fixed blade.

Chicagoknifeworks has the sk5 version for $31. I bought more of them at that price than I had any sensible reason to, lol.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'd get a Victorinox Venture. It has better and tougher steel than the KaBar and is stainless. It will hold an edge better. Plus, it comes with stuff I can use in the field.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:19 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:17 pm
vivi wrote:
3v srk

Jim
My oldest SRK is from after they switched from AUS8 to SK5 but before the GSM buyout. Quality seems the same with that one as my newest SK5 models.

I think the SRK's are one of the best values on the market right now. The basic SK5 version is $32 at chicagoknifeworks and it performs a lot like 1095. That's about 1/5th the price of an ESEE 6.

The quality doesn't seem any worse on their SRK's, SRKC's, Recon Tantos or folders.

Now, I have heard the machetes aren't coming with as good of an edge as they used to, but all of mine are pre-gsm. They didn't come very sharp either way, and in fact that's why I bought my belt sander in the first place.

I've also heard mixed things about their swords, but I haven't bought a sword since I was on the budk mailing list so I'm no help there :rofl

As far as SOG goes, I never warmed up to them too much. None of their folders stayed in my collection for more than a few weeks before I traded them off. I did score a seal pup elite for $15 that was a ridiculous bargain, but as I prefer the SRK / SRKC handles it's just a glove box beater for me. Stuck a PST in the sheath pocket.

SRK + Leatherman Rebar can handle pretty much anything I'd need a small knife or multitool to handle.

Thanks, vivi.

At this point, the only Cold Steel I have a remote interest in is the SRK.

I only own one CS machete, their Kukri machete. Which I bought at a sporting goods store/gun shop several years back. If the factory edge on mine was any indication, they always came dull. Which isn't a surprise, I guess, for machetes. The sharpest machete brand new that I ever bought was my $20 Tramontina, which was only left dull near the tip.

As for SOG, I liked those fixed blades at the time, but felt the only comfortable one was the Tsunami. Their Seal 2000 is too blocky, IMO, and the Seal Pup has too little actual edge to it, at least my old version does. Overall, I'm not a SOG fan.

I have heard from multiple people who served that their most-used knives in the field ended up being their multi-tools (Leatherman, etc.), or their SAKs.

For a fixed blade, besides the CS SRK, I agree with Doc that the Victorinox Venture would also be an excellent choice. I'm big on Victorinox; for me, they run neck-and-neck with Spyderco as my two favorite knife brands.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Well could always go with a smaller knife too.

Like a Winkler Belt Knife, this one is in 3V.

But I still say the Randall Model 14 is the knife though.

Last edited by Ankerson on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toomanyquestions

Randall 14 - classic shape!