Christmas and Holiday desserts

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Christmas and Holiday desserts

Post by Doc Dan »

It is a long holiday season and the time when we eat like we aren't supposed to eat. Today, I made an apple pie cobbler. I say pie because I used fresh apples and less sugar and liquid. Oh man! is this thing good!
(Yes, I've been eating it as can be seen :grin-smiling-eyes )

What have y'all made or gonna make?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rangefinder

Re: Christmas and Holiday desserts

Post by rangefinder »

Back in the 1970s, my mom started making a loaf style cake for the holidays. It's not a family recipe or anything like that, she got it from (I think) the label on the can of pumpkin puree that goes into the cake.

This woman's food photography is much better than mine, and she has a close variation on it:

https://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com ... hip-bread/

The recipe I got from my mom differs a little: There's no applesauce, there are chopped nuts (either walnuts or pecans, depending on which you prefer) and it has a sugar glaze that is drizzled on it after baking. I've also tried putting raisins or dried cranberries in it and either of those work well in the recipe too. (Just soak the dried fruit for ~30 minutes first so they'll soften up and bake correctly.)

In recent years, I've started making it as cupcakes. It freezes well, so small portions that get frozen helps keep me from eating the entire loaf in one sitting. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Looks real good too, Dan..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Looks tasty, Doc!

I remember the Christmas Puddings in glass bowls and muslin cloths being steamed, literally for *days*, in an old laundry steamer in the garage.

Thank goodness for microwaves….