I have an axe to grind. Confession of an X addict

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fireman

I have an axe to grind. Confession of an X addict

Post by Fireman »

Well, 8 to be exact. I have a Plumb 3 Connecticut and another Collins 3 lb South American pattern shipping to me too. I have been hunting for a decent true Rockaway pattern as well. The GB is an American Felling Axe for perspective. These are Kelly and Collins vintage heads. Getting some Hoffman handles to hang these. Going to do a cross wedge pattern. Any axe junkies? My grail is an original McKinnon Rockaway in 3 to 3.5 lbs. Should keep me busy for a while. I’ll post pics when they are restored and user ready.

This is what I am going for.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Re: I have an axe to grind. Confession of an X addict

Post by Bolster »

Cool. I like and use axes but don't "know" them like you do. Will watch this thread to learn.

How you sharpen? I sharpen mine on a 2" slow speed belt grinder (belt sander). What DPS you use?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I find axes and hatchets to be an intriguing subject. I've even collected a few of them in the past few years. It's amazing what you find a garage sales and yard sales.

For years I've wanted to buy and use one of those Granfors Bruks axes. I've been told that company has taken that tool to another level entirely.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The GF are good to go from the box and are pretty nice. They are addictive, I have 7 of them so watch out! I am into having some nice vintage users for my hobby of general bad@$$ery.
vivi

Post by vivi »

You make me feel awfully pedestrian. I use fiskars hatchets, chopping axes and a splitting axe, and I'm very happy with them. The only wood handled axe I have these days is a 25 year old wetterlings bushcraft axe.
Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:32 pm
Cool. I like and use axes but don't "know" them like you do. Will watch this thread to learn.

How you sharpen? I sharpen mine on a 2" slow speed belt grinder (belt sander). What DPS you use?
Not OP but I run my hatchets about 13dps with a 20dps microbevel, and larger axes at about 15dps with a 20dps microbevel. I always take axes and hatchets up to a very high polish since they're push cutters, so the micro goes up to 5,000 grit and shaves.
:unicorn
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:53 am
You make me feel awfully pedestrian. I use fiskars hatchets, chopping axes and a splitting axe, and I'm very happy with them. The only wood handled axe I have these days is a 25 year old wetterlings bushcraft axe.
Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:32 pm

Not OP but I run my hatchets about 13dps with a 20dps microbevel, and larger axes at about 15dps with a 20dps microbevel. I always take axes and hatchets up to a very high polish since they're push cutters, so the micro goes up to 5,000 grit and shaves.

Thanks for that. I use hatchets primarily when cutting tree roots...but that's rough work, and there are rocks and stones inevitably in the dirt surrounding. If that were your use, would you vary your sharpening any?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I know nothing but I am axe-curious. So in for where ever this goes!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, even though I burnt wood for heat for most of my life, I don't know much about axes - I always used a go-devil (what we called it) or splitting maul. But, now a days I have an axe. I've got a Fiskars axe and go-devil or splitting maul - super splitter I think is what they call it.
I gotta say, those Fiskars are top notch imo- I really wished I'd have had one back in the day.
But, I digress. I mainly just wanted to subscribe to this thread to learn a little more about 🪓
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have three Gerbers in different sizes and a wood handle splitter . This thread sounds interesting. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

Another Fiskars guy here! They’re incredible axes for the money and the newer X series (they’re the black and orange handles) are much more durable than the originals which could bust with an over swing. They’re a softer steel but you can get them shaving sharp pretty easily. I would LOVE a nice GB axe though and may have to pick one up some day. They’re just not something I use much though. Growing up I spent a lot of my summers cutting, splitting and stacking firewood though. My dad always just had a big old spitting maul though until he got one of those big steel splitting things. It had three “blades” to it with a sharp point and a big flat back. You’d drop onto a log in the center and then smack it with the back of the maul and it would smash down into the log and spilt it into thirds. Nowadays around my area though everybody that still uses firewood all have nice fancy hydraulic splitters.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I took love my Fiskars. It's one of the best values on the market. Mine manages Missouri black walnut like a champ.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I like my Swedish axes quite a bit. All have forged heads and are hafted in hickory.

I have a Gransfors Bruks carving axe with an asymmetric bevel, which is a rather specialized carving tool and amazing at what it does.

My most used axes are Husqvarna, a small forest axe (1.9 lb head, 26 inch) and a Carpenters axe ( 2.2 lb head, 19 inch). The Husqvarna axes are excellent, but come crudely finished. I cleaned up the grinds and reprofiled the bits as well as shaped and refinishrd the handles. If you are happy to do this work you can get a GB quality axe for half the money or less.

The least used and still in need of further thinning out is a Hults Bruk hatchet. I bought it to be a lighter weight complement to my GB carving axe. I started grinding it asymetrically and intend to take that further.

The Swedish axe industry is fascinating in that the forges have been running for several hundred years. In the early days they were commodity goods and finished crudely and painted. At some point after struggling a bit they went more up market and changed their finishes and marketing.

Hults Bruk has been running since 1697. Gransfors Bruks is younger, only running since 1902, but seems to be more widely known in North America.

Wetterlings started making axes in 1880 and are running again after some interruptions. Unfortunately you can only buy them in person at the forge in Storvik.

The Swedish made Husqvarna axes are made by Hults Bruk near Norrkoping, close to where some of my ancestors and cousins live.

Certainly there are lots of great American axes, particularly vintage.

I could do with a nicer full sized axe. We have a couple meh fiberglass handled 5 pounders at the family cabin, but I don't love them.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

On the matter of convex sharpening, the "mousepad method" is great with various grits of wet/ dry sandpaper.

The upgraded version of this method is to use a neoprene backed sanding block with a handle.

If I am not describing this well enough Google the Rooster method of axe sharpening.

It is also important, as with all push cutting wood tools to take the bit to a very high grit, nearly polished finish.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:16 am
I have three Gerbers in different sizes and a wood handle splitter . This thread sounds interesting. MG2
Gerbers are Fiskars, Fiskars are Gerbers!
https://axeandtool.com/gerber-vs-fiskars-axes
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SolidState wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:42 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:16 am
Gerbers are Fiskars, Fiskars are Gerbers!
https://axeandtool.com/gerber-vs-fiskars-axes
Obviously
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:53 pm
On the matter of convex sharpening, the "mousepad method" is great with various grits of wet/ dry sandpaper.

The upgraded version of this method is to use a neoprene backed sanding block with a handle.

If I am not describing this well enough Google the Rooster method of axe sharpening.

It is also important, as with all push cutting wood tools to take the bit to a very high grit, nearly polished finish.
Makes me glad to see someone else say this. Push cutters deserve polished edges. If you're not doing abusive cutting tasks with your axe or hatchet, high polish is the ticket.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very cool about the Husqvarna axes!
I've always wanted one. I LOVE Husqvarna Chain Saws! The XP line are the best bar none imho-
I'm gonna have to get me a Husqvarna axe 😃
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

One of my axe heads got stolen from the mailbox I think. It was supposedly delivered but not there! The thieves will be disappointed 😂😂😂😂😂 an axe head means you like to work 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:12 pm
One of my axe heads got stolen from the mailbox I think. It was supposedly delivered but not there! The thieves will be disappointed 😂😂😂😂😂 an axe head means you like to work 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That's a **** good way to look at it! 😃
I like a "glass 1/2 full" kinda guy 😎
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Many years ago the US Forest Service put out a super good, comprehensive video and book both done by an expert named Bernie Weisgerber>> who by the way was at one time an active member on this Forum. The video and book are both entitled "An Ax To Grind". Not sure if you can still get them or not but I did talk to a friend who told me that the video was available on Youtube. Not sure if it's still there or not though.

Mr. Weisgerber showed everything from hanging an ax handle to proper sharpening and overall maintenance. I was extremely fortunate to have gotten both the book and video. While the video I have is on ancient VHS format but I got it out of storage and it still plays just like it did a few years back. You all might want to check it out. Th