Worksharp Belt Sharpeners

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RugerNurse

Worksharp Belt Sharpeners

Post by RugerNurse »

Anyone have experience with these? Do they work or are they a gimmick? I’ve heard they convex the edge, does that make the edge any stronger or is that only on an actual convex grind?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
TomAiello

Re: Worksharp Belt Sharpeners

Post by TomAiello »

I have been using one for several years. I'm a big fan. It's definitely the fastest way to get a super sharp edge. I use it all the time on scissors (for sewing at work), kitchen knives, EDC knives. The speed is variable, so you don't overdo it and burn the edge, but I've sat there with my hand on the metal of the blade and never actually gotten it very hot anyway.

I haven't noticed them (I own two--one for work and one for home) making the edge any stronger. I guess maybe at a very small scale they are doing that? But in my use, I can't tell the difference (and I do still hand sharpen some knives, so I am getting some comparison).
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Thanks, trying to decide if I should pick this up or another angle guided sharpener. I’m still trying to learn to sharpen by hand but want something to fix knives I do something wrong on them haha
vivi

Post by vivi »

as a less expensive alternative (belts are cheaper too), you could try the one I use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30 ... 58359.html

With certain sales or coupons they get as low as $40.

No edge convexing as they have a hard backing behind the belt.

I use it all the time. It's an incredible time saver. Reprofiling knives in under 5 minutes VS an hour by hand.
:unicorn
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I guess the other option is the Worksharp Precision Pro vs the Edge Pro Apex 3. They are both the same price.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I have the worksharp ken onion edition with the blade grinding attachment. In my opinion, this attachment is the game changer and I highly recommend it.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:32 am
as a less expensive alternative (belts are cheaper too), you could try the one I use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30 ... 58359.html

With certain sales or coupons they get as low as $40.

No edge convexing as they have a hard backing behind the belt.

I use it all the time. It's an incredible time saver. Reprofiling knives in under 5 minutes VS an hour by hand.
I have two of the linked harbor freight sanders. I use them quite a bit, mostly shaping handle scales. (I have two so that I spend less time changing belts over when I'm working through grits.)

I definitely prefer the worksharp for actual sharpening. The guides are worth the price in terms of quick easy 'no brainer' sharpening.

Vivi, have you tried sharpening above the hard backing? I use both the 'backed' and 'unbacked' portion of the belt for different things. I'd imagine if you want to freehand a convex edge, you could use the upper portion of the belt, above the backing.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yes I've tried both. I haven't had much luck trying to convex things with it though, might just need to practice it more.

The worksharp is a nice system but it kills me it only goes down to 15dps. That's thicker than I run basically every knife I own, and even my hatchets and choppers. I'd find 10dps way more useful than their 30dps setting.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've found some custom 3d print files for guides at different angles. I wonder if you could find one that suits your preferred dps? Or just find someone to adjust one of the existing files for you.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I don't own a Worksharp for a few reasons. I'm not keen on "non water-cooled" power grinding, because you could easily overheat the very fine apex long before the blade even feels hot to the touch. Also, with this system you grind edge leading on the one bevel, and edge trailing on the other.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi