Rock and Roll Heart

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Rock and Roll Heart

Post by Doc Dan »

I have to admit it. I love classical music and play a lot of it. But, when I get right down to it, I've got a rock and roll heart.

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Re: Rock and Roll Heart

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Here we go...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan that's extremely interesting that you bring up this thread. Because lately I've been listening to a local, Kansas City, MO FM radio station that plays nothing but Classical Music. The FM station is KWJC 91.9 FM here in Kansas City. Oh yes they play the Beethoven, Chopin and my personal favorite Tchaikovsky along with several other classical greats.

But like yourself I also get my daily dose of ACDC, Roxy Music, ZZ Tops and the Rolling Stones just to name a few. I'm an Ed Sullivan era boomer who witnessed Mr. Sullivan bring in the Beatles and the Stones and many others in the early to mid 60s which really grew on me.

It's funny also in a way because I heard through a reliable source that Ozzy Osborne is also a big fan of classical music as well. However in a pinch I can listen to about anything except "rap & hip hop". And I seriously doubt if I ever will embrace either one of those genres.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:42 pm
Doc Dan that's extremely interesting that you bring up this thread. Because lately I've been listening to a local, Kansas City, MO FM radio station that plays nothing but Classical Music. The FM station is KWJC 91.9 FM here in Kansas City. Oh yes they play the Beethoven, Chopin and my personal favorite Tchaikovsky along with several other classical greats.

But like yourself I also get my daily dose of ACDC, Roxy Music, ZZ Tops and the Rolling Stones just to name a few. I'm an Ed Sullivan era boomer who witnessed Mr. Sullivan bring in the Beatles and the Stones and many others in the early to mid 60s which really grew on me.

It's funny also in a way because I heard through a reliable source that Ozzy Osborne is also a big fan of classical music as well. However in a pinch I can listen to about anything except "rap & hip hop". And I seriously doubt if I ever will embrace either one of those genres.
You aren't much older than me, so I can relate.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I also love rock from the '60s, '70s, and the '80s. I'm 60 and a late-era "Boomer," though I probably have more in common with early "Gen X-ers" than with early "Boomers."

That aside, having grown up with two older siblings who very much loved popular music, I was exposed to rock, as well as other popular musical styles, since I was a baby. Like Joe, I also remember the Ed Sullivan Show, and the musical acts that were featured on that show back in the '60s.

My older brother is a musician; he started playing guitar back in the late '60s. At first, his inspirations were The Beatles and the Stones. Later, he got into the blues (Muddy Waters, etc.). But his all-time favorite musician was, and still is, Jeff Beck. Due to his evolving musical tastes, I was exposed to LOTS of stuff that developed my own musical tastes faster than most other kids my own age.

By the early '70s, radio stations played all styles of popular music together, without separating them. Rock, folk/folk rock, R&B, funk, bubblegum, heavy metal, etc. Even a few crossover country songs. I liked music from all categories. My favorite is various styles of rock. I like heavy metal a lot too, but in smaller doses.

I like classical music, but not enough to specifically seek it out. Oddly enough, I enjoy listening to Italian Renaissance-style harpsichord music.

I think the only musical styles I actively DISlike are rap/hip-hop (like Joe), and "death metal."

When I listen to music on the radio, it's always one of the oldies stations. Unfortunately, few '60s or '70s songs are played on them anymore; the oldies played now are mostly '80s and '90s, and some from the 2000s. I guess the generation who favored '60s and '70s music has "aged out" of being a profitable demographic to base an oldies radio station around. So now, I mostly listen to oldies online.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This was the first single I ever bought. Love CCR. My favorite band from back then.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:32 am

This was the first single I ever bought. Love CCR. My favorite band from back then.
I went to many concerts years ago and was able to see Uriah Heep ( awesome ) and did see John Fogerty solo Outfield tour . Unfortunately due to a dispute with the band he could not play CCR classics . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:36 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:32 am

I went to many concerts years ago and was able to see Uriah Heep ( awesome ) and did see John Fogerty solo Outfield tour . Unfortunately due to a dispute with the band he could not play CCR classics . Dan
It was with the company that owned the rights to his songs. He won the suit, finally, and is back playing them.

Yeah, I really liked Uriah Heep back in my teen years. I still like their older stuff. For some years they didn't sound the same anymore, and had member turnovers, but this newest album is more like their older stuff. Interestingly, one of my friends got to play with the band (guitar) last and they all stay in touch with him.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

My absolute favorites:
Zeppelin
The Who
Rush
Yes
Fleetwood Mac
Aerosmith
Stones
Beetles
Journey
Queen
Pink Floyd
Triumph
AC/DC
DOORS
ZZ
Doobie Bros
CCR
Genesis
I could go on but the list is pretty long 😉
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Best rock song ever :smirk

Anything from BadCompany as well :cheap-sunglasses
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:03 am
Best rock song ever :smirk

Anything from BadCompany as well :cheap-sunglasses
Here you go (one of my favorite bands, too):

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:28 am
My absolute favorites:
Zeppelin
The Who
Rush
Yes
Fleetwood Mac
Aerosmith
Stones
Beetles
Journey
Queen
Pink Floyd
Triumph
AC/DC
DOORS
ZZ
Doobie Bros
CCR
Genesis
Seen all but eight you listed live and more . Great list . Doors played once close in my area but never knew until concert was over .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:27 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:28 am
My absolute favorites:
Zeppelin
The Who
Rush
Yes
Fleetwood Mac
Aerosmith
Stones
Beetles
Journey
Queen
Pink Floyd
Triumph
AC/DC
DOORS
ZZ
Doobie Bros
CCR
Genesis
Seen all but eight you listed live and more . Great list . Doors played once close in my area but never knew until concert was over .
Wow!!! That’s impressive Dan…Yeah a buddy of mine used to work at a local record store and could get tickets to pretty much anything he wanted to attend so I’ve lost count of the shows I’ve seen…one that I would’ve loved to see is the Beetles…my favorite is Zeppelin and the Who ain’t too far behind 👊
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like a lot of groups, I’ll probably forget to list some. In no particular order:

The Beatles
Boston
Badfinger
Sweet
Blue Oyster Cult
Spirit
Steely Dan
Chicago (‘70s years)
The Kinks
The Hollies
Judas Priest
Queen
Elton John (his early-to-mid-‘70s years)
Deep Purple
Tommy Bolin
The Doobie Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Allman Brothers
Jethro Tull
The Animals
ZZ Top
Fleetwood Mac
Heart
CCR
The Doors
Bad Company
Yes
Santana
The Who
The Edgar Winter Group
Electric Light Orchestra
Pink Floyd

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I love these bands! Don’t forget the likes of Jeff Beck & Gary Moore.

Also …

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

These young ladies are heavy metal rockers and they are really good. They are from Monterey, Mexico.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050