Is there a reference table for all the models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shane1

Is there a reference table for all the models?

Post by shane1 »

I am trying to find out the differences between all of the models that seem to be similar and it is confusing. For instance, the Police, Endura, Endlela, Delica. I understand the size difference but I am sure there are details I am missing like liners, thickness behind the edge, blade thickness, etc. Is there a good place that describes the model difference?
Coastal

Re: Is there a reference table for all the models?

Post by Coastal »

Spydiewiki is a good reference, but it's not convenient to use, since you have to look each model up separately. It's probably not as info-packed as you want, either.

The Spyderco catalog and the periodic Reveals, both available at Spyderco.com, are full of great info, but probably not organized the way you're looking for.

I'm not volunteering, but someone really should create the table you're seeking.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

BTW, I have never seen a comprehensive BTE reference, or really any decent data at all. It varies knife-to-knife within a model. There are bound to be specs, but I bet they're pretty loose to keep production cost down.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

Somebody needs to whip up one of those 3D size comparison videos that walks through the models from smallest to largest.

I’m not even into the whole MCU thing, but I still like to watch that comparison video. Fully Grown Groot is freaking giant!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shane,

Hard task to do, for sure. We'ew trying to set up displays in the Outlet Store to show many of the designs/products created and disco'd across the years; eg; Portable hands, Solo's, Fold=A-Vees, SpydeRenches, etc. But even that is proving to be challenging.

sal
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pretty much you can search google and get a YouTube video and pictures on any 2 or 3 models.

Police v Endura etc…

Last time I wanted a quick reference for two models there was 10+ videos on the topic, some 17 minutes long ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

https://catalogs.z6.web.core.windows.net/ 1982-2010

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/ 2006-2023

No quick reference. It would take a considerable financial outlay (Spyderco $$, 20K+) to create a cross referencing data base for the limited number of users who would use it.

Regrettably, there are very few brick & mortars :astonished that have a large enough selection where one could go to actually to see, hold, compare, contrast, discuss, be informed, and draw knowledge from an experienced staff. Physicality beats virtuality!

nb
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Shane, the best information I have found is information from Spyderco.com (search for specific models) and Spydiewiki (also search for specific models). Between those 2 sources, I have been able to compile (and am still compiling) a personal spreadsheet with data for all of my Spydie knives that includes Model number, Name, Steel, Lock, Weight, Closed Length, Blade Length, Edge Length, Blade Thickness, Scales/Color, Blade Type/Coating/Grind, Country Origin, Choil (Y/N), and purchase data. The spreadsheet includes my other knives as well, but that data comes from other sources and is also a work in progress.

What has been most surprising is comparisons of weights, blade lengths, and blade thickness. For instance, the Delica has a blade thickness of .093" which helps explain why it is such a good slicer of apples. And my Stretch 1 blade is longer than my Stretch 2 blade, but both are longer than my PM2 which I found surprising. Or that the Delica, Native 5, and Para 3 all have blade lengths within 0.1" of one another even though they are shaped somewhat differently and have different blade thicknesses.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2