YouTube adding tracking parameter to share URLs

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
imyavetra

YouTube adding tracking parameter to share URLs

Post by imyavetra »

YouTube has started adding a unique 'source identifier' when you share a video; post such a link here, or anywhere else and Google may be able to trace it back to you and link your Google account with other online identities.

Example link (tracking parameter in bold): youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ?si=YjziZuccJeIE-b6z

Discussion on Brave browser Github:
cadatoiva wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:48 pm
... From what I've seen, the si param is meant to be some kind of unique tracking param based on who, from which page, and how the link was shared for more detailed analytics. It changes almost every time you click share.
And a Twitter source.

Tracking people through links isn't exactly new, but it's better to be aware that it's happening than not.
horzuff

Re: YouTube adding tracking parameter to share URLs

Post by horzuff »

facebook, messenger and all of meta does it too. Whenever I copy links from any of the social media I prune the tracking bull manure, good both for privacy and ease of reading (esp. the meta ids are absurdly long and make the links barely legible)
vivi

Post by vivi »

horzuff wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:18 am
facebook, messenger and all of meta does it too. Whenever I copy links from any of the social media I prune the tracking bull manure, good both for privacy and ease of reading (esp. the meta ids are absurdly long and make the links barely legible)
best option for now if you know how.

Here's how I'd share OP's link for example

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
:unicorn
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

If you're interested in avoiding being tracked, this is a basic introduction to how it's done. It's a lot of hoops to jump through.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Invisibility ... 0316380504