Making micarta more grippy

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RugerNurse

Making micarta more grippy

Post by RugerNurse »

Anybody able to do this?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
TomAiello

Re: Making micarta more grippy

Post by TomAiello »

You can rough it up with a file, making alternating grooves. But that changes the profile. Do you want to do it without altering the profile?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Without changing the profile or introducing jigging or checkering, I think a media blast of some type ( sand, bead, etc) might be the best method.

Edit:typo
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:55 pm
You can rough it up with a file, making alternating grooves. But that changes the profile. Do you want to do it without altering the profile?
I don’t want to alter it. I love my White River knives but the burlap micarta feels a bit slick. I took a scouring pad and lightly sanded it and it’s better. Didn’t know if there were other methods
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can always re-sand at a lower grit than factory, but I'm uncertain how much grippier that will make it. Scouring pad seems like a good idea.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:05 pm
You can always re-sand at a lower grit than factory, but I'm uncertain how much grippier that will make it. Scouring pad seems like a good idea.
I've done this to a BRK with polished canvas micarta scales before. Used something pretty low grit; I want to say 120.

It basically exposed the ends of the fibers in the micarta and gave it that soft slightly grippy feeling when wet or dry that polished micarta lacks. Big improvement.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

I'm gonna tag on to this thread since it hasn't been bumped in a while and my question is on nearly the same topic...

If micarta is oiled, does the oil seep into the fabric or is the fabric already permanently saturated by the resin that it's in?
I'm wondering if a natural long term patina put on micarta will wash up and look new again...
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:15 am
I'm gonna tag on to this thread since it hasn't been bumped in a while and my question is on nearly the same topic...

If micarta is oiled, does the oil seep into the fabric or is the fabric already permanently saturated by the resin that it's in?
I'm wondering if a natural long term patina put on micarta will wash up and look new again...
I've never had micarta that can't be cleaned to like new condition with just some Dawn dish soap.

I've even had the micarta scales on my Emerson get covered when I was doing an oil change on a diesel engine, and they looked like new after 1 minute of scrubbing.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
vivi

Post by vivi »

sandpaper is all it takes.
:unicorn
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Giygas wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:00 pm
SpyderJunky wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:15 am

I've never had micarta that can't be cleaned to like new condition with just some Dawn dish soap.

I've even had the micarta scales on my Emerson get covered when I was doing an oil change on a diesel engine, and they looked like new after 1 minute of scrubbing.
Thank you, sir!
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yes, clean your micarta. some gross looking scales get posted here :rofl
:unicorn