Chaves 229 Kickstop

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Chaves 229 Kickstop

Post by MacLaren »

Been wanting one for quite a while now.
Does anyone else have one?
From what I've read, it has the best flipping action out there now.
I got the DLT exclusive Bronze Anodized Drop Point
JSumm

Re: Chaves 229 Kickstop

Post by JSumm »

I've handled one and would be curious what users think. I like the thick blade with a very generous hollow grind. The Tanto is the most appealing. Maybe the only Tanto I've seen that I like. Very gradual transition with the thicker tip. The grind is much better to look at in person and after handling it, I feel it would be a great knife to put to use.

Borrowed the picture from EKnives.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dam, that looks good!!
Yeah my favorite grind is a deep hollow grind....preferably a wharnie or tanto but, I just really loved the Drop Point on the Chaves 229
I actually owned a regular Chaves 229 a while.back and it was AWESOME!
It was a manual open (thumb studs)
Goodness, I may have to re-think getting that Tanto version you pictured there...that looks soooo good!
Thanks for posting up, Jeff!
Btw, I love Bohler M390 Steel too. It, CTS-204P, & CPM-20CV are my favorite pocket knife steel.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Jeff, I gotta thank you, buddy! 🍻
That pic you posted prompted me to check it out online and long story short, EKnives had it for $80 less than DLT!
So, I went ahead and ordered the Tanto!
I'll just cancel the DLT order since it hasn't shipped yet.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Nice!! Check back in after you get some use behind it. I'm curious about how the blade handles and how the grip feels in use. I love the look of that blade. When I handled them, they seem to have a smooth operation, and everything seemed nicely finished. So I don't think you will have any quality issues. But I couldn't figure out from handling it once how it would feel if gripped tightly.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JSumm wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:32 am
Nice!! Check back in after you get some use behind it. I'm curious about how the blade handles and how the grip feels in use. I love the look of that blade. When I handled them, they seem to have a smooth operation, and everything seemed nicely finished. So I don't think you will have any quality issues. But I couldn't figure out from handling it once how it would feel if gripped tightly.
Absolutely!
And, I also just made the decision to let both come in beacuse that way I can see if I like the Tanto or Drop Point better. Lol, I was all set for the Drop Point until you showed that Tanto up close!
It looks as if the Tanto may have a deep dish hollow grind- deeper than the Drop Point.
Furthermore, I also strongly considered getting the Black G10 version they have because of possible grip issues. But, what I remember of the one I had before, it wasn't bad at all.
What's funny is when I had that one they were in Super high demand..I thi sold that one for $575!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yup, I ❀️ Deep Dish Hollow Grinds πŸ˜ƒ
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am excited to see which one you choose. Totally a preference thing. I saw both in person and really liked the Tanto with the pointier, but still thick tip. I don't think the grip will slip out of your hand. I'm more curious if that blocky handle creates hotspots. Though the Military lineup does quite well so who knows.
Last edited by JSumm on Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JSumm wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:11 pm
I am excited to see which one you choose. Totally a preference thing. I saw both in person and really liked the Tanto with the pointer, but still thick tip. I don't think the grip will slip out of your hand. I'm more curious if that blocky handle creates hotspots. Though the Military lineup does quite well so who knows.
I see. Yeah, seems like I saw one review where a guy said it may have needed rounded off a bit.
But, I've got fairly rough hands - I don't see it being any trouble at all. But, more just a question of just how nice it is or could be...
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

I love mine, even used it in the kitchen to cut up broccoli. It's surprisingly slicey because of the hollow grind. The fit and finish is superb as to be expected from Reate. Kickstop makes it nice and clean looking.

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Paul Ardbeg wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:48 pm
I love mine, even used it in the kitchen to cut up broccoli. It's surprisingly slicey because of the hollow grind. The fit and finish is superb as to be expected from Reate. Kickstop makes it nice and clean looking.

Dang Paul, that's freakin gorgeous
Yeah man, hollow grinds are awesome imo
That all silver looks great
I've actually 2 coming in. A DLT exclusive Bronze Anodized Drop Point & a Regular Finsh Tanto
Let's see Paul, what is she about 7oz?
At any rate, I hear the action is supremely smooth and it's the best flipper on the market right now.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

MacLaren wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:16 pm

I've actually 2 coming in. A DLT exclusive Bronze Anodized Drop Point & a Regular Finsh Tanto
At any rate, I hear the action is supremely smooth and it's the best flipper on the market right now.
That bronze exclusive is sick! I'm sure you are going to love these. It's indeed on the heavy side but the action is great!
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:00 pm
MacLaren wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:16 pm

That bronze exclusive is sick! I'm sure you are going to love these. It's indeed on the heavy side but the action is great!
Thanks man!
Yeah, I may wind up liking it better...I'm just afraid I'll love both πŸ˜† 🀣
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Did y'all see the REC "Holiday Sales 2023"?

Chaves Redencion 229, Kickstop, Blk G10, Satin M390 - $280
Drop Point:
https://riversedgecutlery.com/products/ ... -m390.html
Tanto:
Chaves Redencion 229 Tanto
- Richard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

riclaw wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:54 pm
Did y'all see the REC "Holiday Sales 2023"?

Chaves Redencion 229, Kickstop, Blk G10, Satin M390 - $280
Drop Point:
Tanto:
Chaves Redencion 229 Tanto
That's Awesome!! Especially if you wanted the G10 version. Wow....thats the best deal yet!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, here we go fellas...
The DLT Exclusive Bronze Ano'd came in today
So far, initial impressions are it's a very, very nice knife. However, they really do need to round off the back of the handles.....it's a hot spot not matter how rough ya hand are. Not all the time- but, in certain positions it surely is. The action is extremely nice! I would rate it a little better than a Hinderer this far but, not as good as. Medford. (I've never had anything even come close the hydraulicly butter smooth action of one of those bastards) but, for all intents and purposes it's as good as ya can get for a flipper imo.
The grinds and blade itself is just superb. This is just one very, very nice knife- it could've been freakin EPIC had they just taken the time to round off those back corners!
But, still it's a helluva nice knife....
Here's a few pics & as always, thanks so much for letting me share fellas & Spyderco!
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Beauty and the beast in one πŸ˜ƒ Love the bronze finish!

MNOSD member #0052

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Thanks for the feedback Paul! I really like that bronze.
What do you think of the kickstop feature? I know other models have used it. Seems like a cool innovation.
Last edited by JSumm on Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanks Fellas!
The kickstop feature itself is.really nice.
It does seem to help fire the blade out. The flipper tab itslef staying hidden after deployed is really nice as well. It's super nice.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

So, #2 arrived today. It's the Silver Tanto version
& I gotta say, I absolutely LOVE it!! πŸ˜†
When lightning strikes, lightning strikes - that's all.
Period. She went straight into my pocket
I did not even put the DLT version in my pocket or anything- just flipped it a few times.
It was love at first sight with the Tanto - but, **** I've always loved Tantos and Wharnies
And Trailing points πŸ˜†
Yeah, if they would just round those back corners off a little I could say this is the best knife I've ever owned outta the box all things considered- because the action is incredible- only ever seen one action better (Medford) & the flipping action is even better than a Tri-Way Hinderer & I didn't think those could be beat - ( & just take this with a grain of salt, I haven't tried a Shiro yet) and, I'm a novice knife guy to say the least - but, I do love the Chaves 229 Kickstop!