Where & how can I to sell a Spyderco knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
1penge

Where & how can I to sell a Spyderco knife?

Post by 1penge »

The above is not a trick question.

I have very poor digital skills, when it comes to operating a laptop, using a cell phone, the latest TV or handheld device.
I also do not belong to any social media groups like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (X?), Tic Tok & others that I cannot even name. Don't shop on Ebay.
Even signing up for this Spyderco Forum was a major hurdle.

Am I a dinosaur?
No, not really. I'm just an old guy who's a little lost in this fast-paced confusing modern world, but is willing to learn.
Just early this year I learned how to operate Youtube, which now poses a serious challenge to my LP collection.

I've loved pocket knives since I was a little tacker. Collected them more seriously back when ATS-35, 440C, 154-CM & BG-42 were big names in blade steels. Lately I discovered the benefits of Spiderco knives, particularly the non-lockers (Slipits) & the back-locks.

Here's the thing.
I can now buy a knife on-line & pay for it with Paypal. But I've absolutely no knowledge of "how to" & of "where to" sell a knife if I don't want to keep it in my collection.
That is, to sell it in a modern on-line way.

I need basic step-by-step instructions on how to sell a couple of my Spydercos to interested buyers. I'm not wanting to make a profit. Nor do I want to break even, I'm just need to "thin my herd".

Thanks in advance for any help. (Please do not assume that I have even the most rudimentary digital knowledge.)
WilliamMunny

Re: Where & how can I to sell a Spyderco knife?

Post by WilliamMunny »

Good to have you on the forum. First thing is to pick a platform to sell on. Facebook Marketplace, Facebook Groups and Reddit are all popular.

I would recommend either eBay or Craigslist. Craigslist is simple but will limit your potential buyers. eBay is what I would recommend as you just need to sign up and link your PayPal account. They make it very easy to post and ship by providing prepaid labels you can print. They will also help get you more money with bids. The down side is that they charge close to 14% to sell. Plus there are tons of step by step how to videos.

See what everyone has to say but focus on the best platform for you to sell on then get a step by step how to.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions, I will do my best to help.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

As someone who has BG-42, ATS-55, and 440C knives in their collection, I understand. Reddit is a good option to look at. They have various subreddits that are focused on knives and even have a Spyderco sub. There is also one called knife_swap where people buy and sell knives. The mods have very specific rules set up to help decrease fraud.

I have never used e-Bay to buy or sell, so I have no idea about their fraud setup. But I would imagine that their surcharge gives you something.

Whatever you choose to do, you will have to put on your learning cap because you will need to do some internet searches and either watch some videos or read some online material about how to sell your knives. For instance, on Reddit, you would need to take pictures of your knives and then post them. That would require you create a login on a site such Imgur and then upload photos of knives you are going to sell to that site. Of course, I would imagine you would have to do something like that for eBay as well because most people want to see what they are buying.

The key to remember is to make sure and follow all of the rules of whatever platform you use. Don't be in a rush. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Danke

Post by Danke »

A) Take this advice, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93267&p=1655151#p1655151

B) Take them to a Pawn Shop and take a bath.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Try r/knifeswap or bladeforums knife exchange…I’ve bought and sold boatloads of knives on these two platforms…if you need any help private message me…I won’t be able to get back w/you until I finish working which is usually like 6-6:30 ET 👊
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:05 am
Try r/knifeswap or bladeforums knife exchange…I’ve bought and sold boatloads of knives on these two platforms…if you need any help private message me…I won’t be able to get back w/you until I finish working which is usually like 6-6:30 ET 👊
I was going to mention BladeForums also, though I have not yet bought or sold anything there. For the OP, keep in mind the BF free/basic level membership does not allow selling. Buying the relatively inexpensive gold level membership does allow for that.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

r/knifeswap, bladeforums.com and eBay are all platforms I’ve bought and sold on. Can’t give you step-by-step, they’re all a little tedious, but I can certainly vouch for their legitimacy. Honestly, eBay is where you’re least likely to be scammed as a seller. Make sure you have delivery confirmation on your package though.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I sold quite a few knives using Arizona Custom Knives(AZCK) in 2022. Go to their website for the details. You create an account, ship them the knife, they photograph it, put it on their server and sell it for you. They repack it and send it to the buyer after collecting the payment. They take a commission.

If the knives you have are in mint condition or like new in box(and you still have the boxes), AZCK is where I would go for the best bang for the buck. You may even break even or better after taking into account buying a box, packing material and shipping costs.

The type of steel in the knife or any other attributes really do not matter as long as it is in new condition and from a respectable bladesmith or knife manufacturer like Spyderco.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
1penge

Post by 1penge »

Thank you to all that offered help.

Last night I wrote a long reply to William, my first respondent. By the time I came to post it this afternoon, all that writing was gone ( I had to sign in again). I suppose I should have put the post into editor or preview mode.
Thanks to Danke I was redirected to a similar question that I posed last year but forgot about. A senior moment, perhaps.
A hot "bath" is always good, Danke.

Anyway, I live far away from pawn shops. I do not own a car or nor drive. So that option is out. I suspect that most pawn shops would know more about traditional knives than modern blades. But who knows?

If possible I'd like to avoid signing up for any organization (digital or otherwise) where I can only sell after paying a member's fee. I already belong to the Fiberglass Flyrodders, the Classic Flyrod Forum (both free) & the Fountain Pen Network (yearly fees paid for no adds).

I just want to sell a couple of expensive (for me), unused Spydercos. One knife in question has a blade design that does not center well in my KME's jaws & its smooth Micarta handle I really don't like. The other is a Sprint Run safe queen hiding in a drawer.

Naperville's suggestion of connecting with Arizona Custom Knives on-line may prove to be a positive lead. If I would be close to one of Toronto's best sources for quality knives, S&R, I would just visit the shop, show them the knife & ask to put them on consignment. I'd be happy with 1/3 of its original value in funds or store credit.
Or, having a USA dealer of good knives, like AZCK to sell my knives may be one way to go. I just want these blades to be "used" & "appreciated by knife people"

Again, thanks to all. 1penge
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Hi, 1penge. If you sell on eBay you'll need to link a bank account. The account has to have the correct number of digits. My credit union had an extra zero at the beginning of the account number and the eBay software only presents a generic error code.

KnifeHub has a used section. You could give them a call and ask about consignment or an outright sale. (248) 674-8665
- Richard
1penge

Post by 1penge »

Thank you Richard.
The Knife Hub sounds like another possible "low tech" option for me to try.
Cheers, 1penge