Ernie Emerson is doing another KNIFE Auction

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
akapennypincher

Ernie Emerson is doing another KNIFE Auction

Post by akapennypincher »

Alway like looking at the offering, but wonder who is doing the crazy bidding?

https://www.emersonknivesauctions.com/a ... ion=recent
Naperville

Re: Ernie Emerson is doing another KNIFE Auction

Post by Naperville »

Crazy bidding is right.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m not sure if Emerson still does it at Blade Show , but a room was set up to bid on his custom knives built by him . Better have a padded wallet .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Tell ya one thing fellas, I've NEVER saw the secondary market as slow as it is now.
I believe it's the best time ever to be a buyer and probably the worst time ever to be a seller....
Naturally, that doesn't include new knives from maker or special editions new by maker
James Y

Post by James Y »

WOW. Well, if there are people who really want those handmade knives of his, and are willing to pay that amount of $$$ for them, then more power to him. If I were a (good) knife maker, and people were willing to have bidding wars at such high prices for my custom pieces, I’d charge those kinds of prices, too.

Jim
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Bidding has slowed down, and price still have few days before auction closes.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:39 pm
WOW. Well, if there are people who really want those handmade knives of his, and are willing to pay that amount of $$$ for them, then more power to him. If I were a (good) knife maker, and people were willing to have bidding wars at such high prices for my custom pieces, I’d charge those kinds of prices, too.

The people aren't paying big money for the knives, they're paying big money for the logo. People are trying to buy into the Frogman Mystique. It's all hype. If bidders wanted a good knife, there are dozens of companies making usable knives. If people are looking for a nice custom, there are plenty of guys making beautiful knives.

Go ahead and have a closer look at the knives. Take your time. Each knife has a fancy story about how great it is and how it's the best Emerson ever made. But if you zoom in on the pics, you'll see screw heights that are all over the place. Handles don't line up with liners. The handles and bolsters don't line up and the edges are rounded. Wood has was looks like scratch marks. Grooves in the metal look irregular and deformed. They look like a high school shop class project.

James Y

Post by James Y »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:24 pm
James Y wrote:
The people aren't paying big money for the knives, they're paying big money for the logo. People are trying to buy into the Frogman Mystique. It's all hype. If bidders wanted a good knife, there are dozens of companies making usable knives. If people are looking for a nice custom, there are plenty of guys making beautiful knives.

Go ahead and have a closer look at the knives. Take your time. Each knife has a fancy story about how great it is and how it's the best Emerson ever made. But if you zoom in on the pics, you'll see screw heights that are all over the place. Handles don't line up with liners. The handles and bolsters don't line up and the edges are rounded. Wood has was looks like scratch marks. Grooves in the metal look irregular and deformed. They look like a high school shop class project.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But whether they're paying all that money for the logo, for the status symbol, they're still buying the knives.

I wouldn't buy them, even if they were discounted down to the price of a standard VG-10 Delica. Emerson knives are not my cup of tea. I gave several of his production models a good try 20+ years back, and they didn't "cut it" for me, quality-wise or cutting performance-wise (for MY purposes). A couple of them also developed lock slip after minimal use. But to each their own.

If there are people who want the knives, the status, the mystique, etc., I don't fault Emerson for doing what he does, as long as someone is willing to pay his prices. He charges those prices, because he knows he has a fan base out there who are willing to pay them.

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:44 pm
they didn't "cut it" for me

Heyyyy... I see what you did there.
:thinking
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:24 pm
James Y wrote:

Every time I have said something like this I get the shiny footprint comments. I tried about 5-6 EKI’s and all were not near what the price commanded. Thankfully this was back in the Usual Suspects hay day and they were easy to move. The only model that ever made me think about it another second after selling was A100 and mini A100. If they cost under $100 then I could get behind it. I also would like an Elvia because I like Ed Calderon (Spyderco blew a collabo bad) but $250+?? NFW
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya fellas, either they are or they ain't!
I get it...
I had one Emerson I think...& it was not that good at all to be honest.