Remembering Santa Clause

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Remembering Santa Clause

Post by Doc Dan »

There was a good and godly man who showed so much love and was loved by so many that we still remember him over 1800 years later. That man was Bishop Nicholas of Myra (now part of Turkey), AKA Santa Claus, AKA Saint Nick.

We get the idea of his coming down chimneys because there was a poor man who had no money for a dowery for his daughters so they could marry. Their futures looked horrid. St. Nicholas took money from the church when the oldest reached the age of marriage, and tossed it down the chimney. The people in the house thought it was a miracle. When the next daughter came of age, St. Nick did the same thing. When the third came of age, the man was hiding and waiting and caught St. Nicholas in the act. That is how everyone knew who was doing the good deeds. St. Nick also was known to leave money in the shoes of the poor left outside for them to find in the morning.

He wasn't loved by all. Those who hated Christianity kidnapped him and tortured him. When his body was exhumed a few years ago it was found that they had badly broken his face. The man suffered long because of that. His crime? Showing love and giving a message of hope.

Today is the celebration of his life.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Re: Remembering Santa Clause

Post by MacLaren »

Wow, Doc. Had no idea.
Thanks for sharing that! 👍
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:03 pm
St. Nick also was known to leave money in the shoes of the poor left outside for them to find in the morning.
Is this the origin of the Christmas stocking?

More general information, if anyone is interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

For those interested, the state of Alabama celebrates their very own version of St Nick every fall.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:57 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:03 pm
St. Nick also was known to leave money in the shoes of the poor left outside for them to find in the morning.

For those interested, the state of Alabama celebrates their very own version of St Nick every fall.
Really? What and where?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is the forensic facial reconstruction of this godly man.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:24 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Really? What and where?
Alabama has this guy named Nick, who brings joy to the common people every fall, and tends toward red and white costumes.
alabama-nick.jpg
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:24 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Really? What and where?
Alabama has this guy named Nick, who brings joy to the common people every fall, and tends toward red and white costumes.

alabama-nick.jpg
:grin-smiling-eyes This is a "Duh!" moment for me.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I admit that I really thought that reference would be immediately obvious to you.

Now that the Dawgs are out, the play offs are all 'Roll Tide' for me.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It was a miracle that the Tide could come from 8th place and get into the playoffs. Skill helped them beat GA, though. Roll Tide!

As for the real St. Nick, he was well known even during his lifetime. There were several notable and attested miracles that occurred through him, also. This had people talking.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050