You Don’t Know What You Got ’Til It’s Gone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

You Don’t Know What You Got ’Til It’s Gone

Post by wrdwrght »

Just got a Jumpmaster2 after seeing that its blade is serrated H1, and that its FRN scales and my comfortable Enuff Salt and K390 Enuff2 ones are the same with the former only proportionally larger.

Having embraced my new fixie fixation, I started to wonder, “like you do” (in Eddie Izzard’s voice), if the Temperance could turn my head.

So, I went to YouTube to look for a review. Found one (https://youtu.be/OMp_WILgS-c?si=tggDn2HPgJrMTpWE).

There, on his front porch somewhere in Newfoundland, was the late Cliff Stamp (or his arms and limbs, anyway) offering his dispassionate experimental physicist’s comparison of the Temperance’s original and next versions, with all the key reasons that matter, and then some.

I’ll think about the Temperance2, but I can live without it (thanks to my Waterway, Enuffs, and Jumpmaster2). Harder to live without are the zen-like Spyderco reviews that Cliff might have offered.

Watch and see why.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tristan_david2001

Re: You Don’t Know What You Got ’Til It’s Gone

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The temperance is some of spydercos best fixed blade work. A big hardworking extremely versatile leaf blade, with a simple cokebottle-ish shaped ergonomic handle. Underrated knife.
:bug-red-white
brj

Post by brj »

One could definitely go on living without a Temperance, but why, when it might make you feel what you felt so long ago ;)

Tristan_david2001

An original t1 design run with a steel upgrade and black micarta would be just lovely.
AutoRock

Post by AutoRock »

wrdwrght wrote: There, on his front porch somewhere in Newfoundland, was the late Cliff Stamp (or his arms and limbs, anyway) offering his dispassionate experimental physicist’s comparison of the Temperance’s original and next versions, with all the key reasons that matter, and then some.
Harder to live without are the zen-like Spyderco reviews that Cliff might have offered.
I completely agree. I have always really enjoyed Cliff's videos. They are refreshingly calm, well-reasoned, and free of hype. I still refer to them regularly when researching something knife-related. I have also bookmarked his review page on archive.org for the same reason.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

brj wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:35 pm
One could definitely go on living without a Temperance, but why, when it might make you feel what you felt so long ago ;)

Thanks for this pertinent and compelling comparison.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:49 am
An original t1 design run with a steel upgrade and black micarta would be just lovely.
Not to say that Sal would unleash a failure-prone knife on us, but I’m sorta devoted to full-tangs in fixies.

Tristan_david2001

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:33 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Not to say that Sal would unleash a failure-prone knife on us, but I’m sorta devoted to full-tangs in fixies.
I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to the temperance 1 design retooled to be a full-tang handle.
AutoRock

Post by AutoRock »

I’ve found myself gravitating towards lighter fixed-blade knives for outdoor use - weight starts to matter on long, self-propelled trips where you still want to use fire and natural materials. The Temperance 1 looks like it would work very well, and the fully enclosed handle would be great in below-freezing temperatures.

The current market is awash in nice full-tang, micarta-handled knives at all price points. However, there’s a lot less choice when it comes to good quality knives with hidden tangs and lighter handle materials. Moras are justifiably popular, but it would be nice to have alternatives with different blade designs and better sheaths.

I remember seeing something about a possible Temperance 1 sprint run in an older thread, so that would be something for me to look forward to. In the meanwhile, I’m starting to cast long, covetous looks towards the Aqua Salt, since it ticks a lot of the same boxes…
Tristan_david2001

The enuff 2 is also a model that ticks a lot of the same boxes. What I much prefer on the temperance aside from the thumb ramp is the wider fully 3D contoured handle. Compared to the enuffs with relatively much flatter handles. In prolonged hard use the temperance handle would be much more comfortable and less fatigue prone.
The temperance is quite a functionally figured out fixed blade design by Sal, don’t understand why spyderco has done away with it for so long.
AutoRock

Post by AutoRock »

I completely agree. Enuff 2 is also light and its blade profile, grind, and the overall handle profile all look eminently practical. But the thin handles remind me of a folder and are giving me pause. I like thick, rounded, hand-filling handles in my fixed blades, so I can use them for hours on end.

I’ll probably pull the trigger on the Enuff 2 anyway (and mod it, if necessary), but the nice, contoured handles on the Temperance look much more comfortable. I will definitely buy the Temperance if it gets reissued.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

In June this year, Sal did make a breif mention of the “Temperance” being given to their maker in Japan to work on. It was not specified whether it’s another version of the Temperance 2, Temperance 1, or a new iteration all together. I tend to doubt it would be another Temperance 1 but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible either.
-Nick :bug-red
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

There was some talk in a old thread about bringing back the temperance 1 in VG-10. I hope that is a reality.

The temperance 2 is my favorite knife. I have never used any knife that felt better in hand. It's like it was made for me. The balance is supurb and it's light enough to hike with and forget it's there. I have three of them. A backup to the backup.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Oh my! I’ve been hoping for a larger knife like this from Spyderco for some time (a la Mule XL/Cookie Cutter XL). Such a shame that this is long since discontinued, although Mushroom’s comment above gives me hope. Much as I love my Magnacut Mule it is just a bit too short to really hack through the more tenacious service plants I deal with at work when harvesting biomass. One of these in K390 and SE would be a pocket chainsaw 🤤
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have often wondered what a TEMP 2 would be like in full SE? The Jumpmaster is an excellent piece of craftsmanship IMO. They are both great examples of Spyderco's great "In House" designs.

My romance of blades in this genre goes back to the great TEMP 1 models ( SE & PE). The TEMP 1 is still one of my top 3 favorite fixed blades of all time. It seems to have all started with the TEMP 1 model IMO.
Tristan_david2001

Just sharing for fun, I attempted to sketch design a temperance, after about an hour of refining here’s what it currently looks like. I added a bolster on mine, what do you all think? A bolstered temp ? I think that would be cool.
Attachments
IMG_3653.jpeg
IMG_3652.jpeg
IMG_3651.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

AutoRock wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:35 am
wrdwrght wrote: There, on his front porch somewhere in Newfoundland, was the late Cliff Stamp (or his arms and limbs, anyway) offering his dispassionate experimental physicist’s comparison of the Temperance’s original and next versions, with all the key reasons that matter, and then some.
Harder to live without are the zen-like Spyderco reviews that Cliff might have offered.
I completely agree. I have always really enjoyed Cliff's videos. They are refreshingly calm, well-reasoned, and free of hype. I still refer to them regularly when researching something knife-related. I have also bookmarked his review page on archive.org for the same reason.
Mind sharing the link?
:unicorn
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:30 am
Just sharing for fun, I attempted to sketch design a temperance, after about an hour of refining here’s what it currently looks like. I added a bolster on mine, what do you all think? A bolstered temp ? I think that would be cool.
Very nicely done.

Just wondering...

Since there is a bolster, perhaps it could be more handle forward so the blade edge ends closer to the bolster. With less ricasso, the blade/bolster interface may be similar to the Caribbean or, to a lesser degree, the Lil' Temp 3.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm interested in a Temp sprint.

I've been getting away from bidirectional textured fixed blades. Not as comfortable in use unless I'm wearing gloves, which most the time I'm not. I'd rather have micarta, G10, kray-ex, etc. One reason I've switched from my Aqua Salts to SRKC's for a small woods knife.
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:33 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Hidden tangs can be very strong.

I had a Mora 760 that I did some destructive testing to. Batoned through an old discard road sign with no issues, much less wood. I tried prying it well past 90 degrees and the handle finally shattered but the hidden tang blade was fine.

Spent over a decade beating on Aqua Salts. No issues batoning the largest chunks of wood their blade can manage. Chopping what they can, opening tins of food etc.

These days I used SRK's, SRKC's and Recon Tantos a lot for outdoors work. No issues batoning and chopping there either.

I like fully enclosed handles on fixed blades. Less issues in cold weather, less issues with corrosion, and the handle shape isn't bound by the tang dimensions.
:unicorn
Tristan_david2001

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:39 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:30 am
Very nicely done.

Just wondering...

Since there is a bolster, perhaps it could be more handle forward so the blade edge ends closer to the bolster. With less ricasso, the blade/bolster interface may be similar to the Caribbean or, to a lesser degree, the Lil' Temp 3.
Thank you! I like the ricasso area for choking up but don’t necessarily want a choil, as a drawing I took some artistic liberties with the bolster and wasn’t thinking about the function when it comes to bolsters. thank you for sharing your suggestions
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.