New Steel Testing Method! My wife and the cupboard.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: New Steel Testing Method! My wife and the cupboard.

Post by GarageBoy »

What is she cutting?!

Try maxamet next!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe some 14C28N would be a good choice? It is okay on edge holding, but it is really, really tough. I mean, this woman is chipping chunks out of edges :O , so maybe tougher is better?

I suggest two things. First, get a camera for your kitchen. Second, get a couple of those Apple trackers. Put one on her keys or phone, and one on the knife. That way, if she is moonlighting in a demolition factory you will know it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:42 pm
What is she cutting?!

Try maxamet next!
Oh gosh! That could easily end up snapped in half! As much as I would love to see the result of that testing, I wouldn't want anyone to have to sacrifice a expensive piece of Maxamet for that.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This is excellent!
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Oh man, I’m laughing so hard reading this in the men’s toilet at work that a cleaner just came in to check I wasn’t choking 😂😂😂

My wife loves an SE blade as (and I believe this to be verbatim) “the wiggles hide where I’ve broken bits off”. Initially I thought she had done something horrific to the cast of the Australian kids TV show, but then she showed me her violated SE Tenacious. I’m not sure which was worse.

On the plus side, it meant I could buy her a new knife. Which was nice.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:04 am
This thread is the best. Nothing better than getting ongoing laboratory notes while the experiment is in progress.

Regards the children, I've found the best way to keep my sanity is to consider the children as subjects of my experiments. I've also tried this method on the wife, with disastrous results, so I don't recommend that at all. Wives really resent being experimented on, I've discovered, though I've no idea why. It was only an attempt to expand the base of knowledge, after all. (Even that explanation fell flat.)

At any rate, I highly approve of the methodology utilized in this experiment. I've brought it to the attention of the Nobel Prize committee and they were at a loss for words, which I take to be a good sign.
This thread is positively hilarious. :)
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

Yeah it is!
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The only things I've put K390 against that really did mich damage to it were rocks and concrete. That leads me to believe that Amazon packaging may now be based on one or both of those substances, based on JSumm's current testing work. That's definitely science right there.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Is the knife being left open in a drawer with other knives? That will do it to any steel.

The kitchen is a pretty abusive environment, I left my magna-cut chef knife and found the next day that my roomates found a way to stain it.

I do think that budget steels are the best for most people, as they will likely mess up the edge by abusing it before they manage to dull it with abrasive wear. At least basic steels are easy to fix up after the inevitable damage.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Almost two weeks later, and my wife has been very busy "testing" K390. We leave for out of town tomorrow, so I wanted to get in a quick update. May be a couple more weeks before we can update again. I never really knew how many spreadsheets it takes to science.

Anywho, the K390 is completely dull. Will not slice paper. I let my 8 year old butter his toast with it this morning. Lots of how do they say it in the industry, SHINY spots on the edge. I can only detect one chip/deformation/what-happened-here spot. Much better than the BD1N as far as that goes, but it has only been two weeks really. I plan to let her go to town with whatever construction projects she has going for a couple more weeks and then we will change it out.

Here are some pics of the blade and edge as best I could get.

She even took a funny What's In Your Pocket pic and sent it to me at work! I was very proud.

Also, I walked into one of her projects and before I could sprint away she asked me for a straight edge. I handed her the Rock Jumper and walked away. I came back and she was cutting on the granite countertops (no joke). I asked to please use some other surface, so she graciously complied with my request and grabbed a cutting board. This was the carnage I discovered afterwards.

I may let her use my Military in 4V next. She really liked the linerlock on the Polestar, and she prefers the longer blade. May be a bit too much blade and handle, but hey, in the name of science.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Has your wife figured out that she's the subject of your experiments, and you're publishing the results with your thousands of online followers? You're a brave man to furnish her with sharp, pointy objects.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I had to tell her when I pulled the Polestar away. Otherwise we would still be talking about the Polestar. 😂
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Spyderco needs to hire this woman.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Jeff, you are an inspiration to us all. The lengths (both financially and emotionally) that you and your good lady wife are willing to go to science is quite humbling. A practically irreplaceable 4V Military being offered on the alter of empirical research is quite the commitment. I can only imagine the carnage that butter, marble countertops and toast might wreak on the resale value of such a fine piece.

Merry Christmas to you and yours 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Jeff, a word to the wise. When sciencing, I mean really sciencing, you need to display a graph of some sort. So the next time your wife decides to cut up some ceramic rods on her granite cutting board, scribble down several numbers and make a graph of them. One line should zig-zag down, and another line should slope up. Then you will have irrefutable evidence, and publication in a prestigious journal is virtually assured.

(Just make sure that the president of Harvard doesn't plagiarize your work, or you will be sacked for enticing her to copy your work.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster I wrote down some emotions I was feeling. I mean what better to graphically represent than emotions right. I noticed there was a point where things escalated.

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:16 am
Bolster I wrote down some emotions I was feeling. I mean what better to graphically represent than emotions right. I noticed there was a point where things escalated.

However great that thread was, this has to be your best post!
Bolster was right, science just made a huge leap.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image I can send this cleaver to you for difficult jobs like pruning plants in the house . Outdoor activity may frighten the neighbors. . 😮 Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Dan, that's looks perfect for the fiddle fig!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahahaha, what a perfect graph. Straight to the point!! Love it Jeff, keep up the great work! One of my favorite threads to see notifications for :hugging-face
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick