A full size Native slipjoint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Roefisher

A full size Native slipjoint?

Post by Roefisher »

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been answered but "Native" in the search feature brings up no results as it's too common a word to use.

So I thought I'd ask to hear the latest news, if any.

Today, I got my hands on the Lil' Native Slipit. For me, it's a beautifully designed and made little 'tank' of a knife and I love the fact that it's a completely different model to the UKPK. And then, of course, it got me thinking immediately about how good a full sized Native slippie would be.

Are there plans for the full sized Native slipit? I really hope there is and honestly feel, based on it's little brother, that it could be a real game changer.

Cheers,

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
ChrisinHove

Re: A full size Native slipjoint?

Post by ChrisinHove »

As you may already know, a full size Native slipjoint was prototyped in the days of British Blades Forum, but hasn’t materialised in production……..yet.

I live in Hope (as well as Hove).
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Hi Chris,

Yes, I remember the chat about it but that must be, what, ten or maybe more years ago? If it's the same knife I think Danzo got an orange one, either as a gift or a prototype to try out? That must be one of the rarest Spyderco knives, if he's still around and still owns it.

I know you like the UKPK, so what would you think about a full sized Native slipit?

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think a full size Native slipjoint would be excellent!

I’ve toyed with the idea of replacing the lockbar & backspace with a spring, or asking someone to do it, as a good enough option. I asked here why Spyderco didn’t do exactly that, and Sal commented that simply, “good enough” isn’t good enough.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I suppose a slipjoint modification would be an option but the best answer is a proper new knife!

Maybe there were plans around the time Danzo had his one-off and there just wasn't the same interest back then? I really do think, especially after seeing the Lil' Native first hand, that this is a knife that should happen.

Mark
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think a Native slipit would be a welcome edition to the lineup and the design would finally make sense to me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:07 am
I think a Native slipit would be a welcome edition to the lineup and the design would finally make sense to me.

Even in the smaller knife, the Lil' Native, it's a completely different knife to the UKPK. The blade and the scales are both already much thicker and the overall feel is one of heavy duty, but still practical and cleverly designed. I can only imagine this appeal being stretched out to a full sized Native and it being a real work-horse of a slipjoint.

There are so many locking knives in all shapes and sizes so it would be really cool to see a similar development in non-lockers to help give us an increased variety and choice.

Mark
sal

Post by sal »

Just Talkin' Story

There was some discussion about making a regular size Native as a Slippie back when we were designing the UKPK with the group at British Blades forum. At the time, There was some concern about the appearance of the Native with its wide thick blade and full grip. We finally opted for what became the UKPK, which has been surprisingly well received for a "modern" slip-joint, though it took 20 years. There is a lesson there.

As I remember, we made a Native Slippie and I believe I sent it to Danzo as I owed him a favor. Since we're on the subject, I'd like to see response on the thread. I'll make a Native Slippie prototype. I have received a few "requests" from the Brits on the "Edge Matters" Forum. (A great group FYI), Which I will be forwarding to management planning. I will include the regular size Native Slippie as part of the list. We're making a selling quite a few Slippies at this time. So a time for a Native variation might be now?

Nothing until next summer when the expansion will be finished. But we're planning now for new models to be introduced.

sal
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Even though I live somewhere with no restrictions and do enjoy carrying larger harder use knives on days I'll know I need them, I've also come to really appreciate the simplicity of Spyderco's slipjoints for day to day carry. With the safety of a choil like the ukpk, urban, and squeak there's never the feeling your fingers are in any danger. They're simple and safe knives that hardly weigh in your pocket. You hand them to anyone and they'd be able to open, use, and close without you worrying about them.

With the choil on the Native 5 it would appear to be a perfect knife for a stout slipjoint. Even gripping the handle without using the choil, the choil is large enough to be the part of the blade that hits my index finger.
IMG_3072.jpeg
IMG_3071.jpeg
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That is fantastic!

Thanks, Sal!
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

That's absolutely wonderful news, Sal. Thank you for all the info and comments here and the actions you're taking in this one - it's very much appreciated!

I don't want to hog the comments myself, so I hope other people will show their interest in the full-sized Native slipjoint, both here and over on the EdgeMatters forum.

As soon as I had the Lil' Native in my hand, I knew the full-sized Native slippie would be a winner too.

Mark
Flash

Post by Flash »

That’s brilliant news Sal.

Since I’ve been using my Native 5 I’ve always thought the design would lend itself perfectly to a 3” slip joint. Certainly something I would be highly interested in.

Id take any steel but would personally prefer G10 over the FRN you find on most Spyderco Slippies.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This is fantastic! I will be waiting for this new variation. The Native would be a perfect platform as a slip joint for me , not too big not too small . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'll be honest and say that for my needs I would likely prefer the UKPK leaf blade. I don't find the Native comfortable. However, having a reason to have to hold the choil makes more sense to me for the Native if it were a slipit. It doesn't make sense to me as is. The knife handle is so short my hand fills the handle, including the choil as it is. I think it is a fine knife and I love the looks of it, but it isn't a locking knife I enjoy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The caly/ukpk design is superior and perfectly fits the bill for a 3” edc folder….
:bug-red-white
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:52 am
I'll be honest and say that for my needs I would likely prefer the UKPK leaf blade. I don't find the Native comfortable. However, having a reason to have to hold the choil makes more sense to me for the Native if it were a slipit. It doesn't make sense to me as is. The knife handle is so short my hand fills the handle, including the choil as it is. I think it is a fine knife and I love the looks of it, but it isn't a locking knife I enjoy.

This is pretty much how I feel. I do like my G10 Native 5, but I find it to be among my least comfortable knives in hand during use.

OTOH, I love how my leaf-bladed UKPK Salt feels in hand. It feels natural and comfortable. And, of course, there is more of a practical reason to have to use the choil.

Jim
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

As another data point, my Native 5 Salt Magnacut PE is on my 'only 5' list. It seems to fit my hand well, both with and without using the choil. I can see the appeal of this as a slipit, but I do like the lockback on it also.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think a poll is probably the way to ask this question.

Data point: I would have no interest in a Native slip.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Flash

Post by Flash »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:43 pm
Just Talkin' Story

There was some discussion about making a regular size Native as a Slippie back when we were designing the UKPK with the group at British Blades forum. At the time, There was some concern about the appearance of the Native with its wide thick blade and full grip. We finally opted for what became the UKPK, which has been surprisingly well received for a "modern" slip-joint, though it took 20 years. There is a lesson there.

As I remember, we made a Native Slippie and I believe I sent it to Danzo as I owed him a favor. Since we're on the subject, I'd like to see response on the thread. I'll make a Native Slippie prototype. I have received a few "requests" from the Brits on the "Edge Matters" Forum. (A great group FYI), Which I will be forwarding to management planning. I will include the regular size Native Slippie as part of the list. We're making a selling quite a few Slippies at this time. So a time for a Native variation might be now?

Nothing until next summer when the expansion will be finished. But we're planning now for new models to be introduced.

sal
Hi Sal,

As much as I would like a Native slip joint, I feel like a Chaparral slip joint would be even better.
It’s a design that would potentially fill the size gap between The Urban and The UKPK - whilst at the same time bettering both as an EDC option in my humble opinion, especially in countries with draconian knife laws like the U.K.

I’ve heard rumours and rumblings of one possibly being in development but nothing concrete.

Could you confirm or deny anything about the reality of this knife?

Flash
Flash

Post by Flash »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:54 am
I think a poll is probably the way to ask this question.

Data point: I would have no interest in a Native slip.
No need for a poll. If you don’t want one then you don’t buy it. ;)