Dip, Babby Dip!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Dip, Babby Dip!

Post by Fireman »

Plasti-Dip seems to offer some good and cheap benefits for mule handle needs. This is after 5 dips. Gives lots of grip.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
legOFwhat?

Re: Dip, Babby Dip!

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've never used the stuff, does it hold up for very long?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:25 am
I've never used the stuff, does it hold up for very long?
I have never heard of it but sounds interesting. I could see using it on other things ,but handle idea is very cool . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Twenty-lus years ago, custom knifemaker James Piorek, aka Blade Rigger, used to do artistic applications of tool dip. In some cases, he'd use different colors, painted on with a brush to create patterns. He would also embed heavy twine into it and then dip over it to create grip patterns, like this:

I have a couple of original Mike Snody custom Ronins that he treated that way in my collection. The color choice wasn't as "bold" as this one, but the same concept:

They're still looking good after 20 years, but, in all fairness, they haven't been carried much.

The great thing about tool dip is that if it starts to peel, you cut it off and do it again. I've also used it to make training knives, dipping or spraying the handles red.

Stay safe,

Mike
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

Blade Rigger once did a Szabo UUK in an American flag motif that I thought looked amazing.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Back in the mid-80's I applied orange Plasti-Dip to some tool handles. My intention was to get better handling and visibility. After using the tools for several months, my final conclusion was that Plasti-Dip just isn't suitable for doing real work, and I peeled it all off.

Initially, the Plasti-Dip looked fine. But after handling the tools with dirty hands, the orange handles became black and filthy. Dirt would get embedded in the plastic. Soap would clean them up to some degree. If I just wiped the tools off with a rag, the next time I picked them up with clean hands, I'd be instantly dirty.

Hopefully the recipe for Plasti-Dip has improved over the past several decades. Let us know how the 21st century version holds up.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

So far it’s working pretty well. You can also mix in sand for added texture
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Cool! I might have to give it another go one of these days.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

I’ve got a buddy who Plasti-Dipped the bottom of his disc golf bag in an attempt to waterproof it, back when I was rocking a Phenix Core bag with a Line-X bottom.

Line-X advertises using it on tool handles, makes me wonder how well it could be applied to a knife handle. It might take a few passes to get to the thickness you have on your Mule, though.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

*Great job, btw.
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

I typically put 5 or so thin coats of Plasti-Dip on my trucks Chrome badges and grill. It lasts at least 3 years sitting outside all the time.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Has anyone tried soaking paracord or string in Plasti-dip and wrapping a mule? Would add a lot of grip.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:02 am
Has anyone tried soaking paracord or string in Plasti-dip and wrapping a mule? Would add a lot of grip.
I doubt the cord would fit thru the holes after coated with plastic. It's a tough enough task with straight cord.