Chisel Ground Spydercos (serrated) Cut Wonderfully

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ferruginous

Chisel Ground Spydercos (serrated) Cut Wonderfully

Post by Ferruginous »

I've been using serrated LC200N Spydercos lately for any utility chore around the house, from opening packages to basic food preparation when I don't have a kitchen knife handy. The knives used have been a UKPK and a Salt 2 Wharncliffe. They cut extremely well.

99% of the time I'm only using the plain 3/8" portion of the edge at the tip. I've only needed to touch up that section over the last few months because it's all I use. The teeth haven't dulled, because they really only come into contact with meat or vegetables. The plain tip touches up in a few passes on a ceramic benchstone and a strop, and I only have to match one angle then remove the burr on the flat side.

I assume that they cut incredibly well because of the extremely shallow edge angle. Anyone able to measure the angle of the LC200N Serrated salt 2?

When the Native Chief Salt Lightweight is released in Magnacut I'm going to acquire one and reprofile it with a crazy-thin edge and see how it holds up.

I wish I could get a Para 3 in S45VN with a shallow chisel grind.
vivi

Re: Chisel Ground Spydercos (serrated) Cut Wonderfully

Post by vivi »

My SE LC200N Pacific Salt came ground at about 20 degrees. Considering it's a chisel grind that's about half as thick as a lot of production folders.

Great steel that certainly touches up fast. The thin edge paired with a full flst grind gives it great geometry.
:unicorn
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

My SE Dragonfly H2 is also about 20 degrees, a great slicer.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I reprofiled my SE Endela to 15 degrees on the serrations, which gives maybe 17-18 degrees total? It’s a wonderful cutter in VG-10.

I’m also nearly done reprofiling my newest knife, a K390 SE Endura. As expected, taking the serrations down to 15 degrees has been a slog on the CBN Sharpmaker rods. Despite several hours of work, the serrations are still very pointy. The VG-10 became much more wavy at this same stage in the process. I attribute this to two factors. First, VG-10 has less wear resistance. Secondly, and this is a minor factor in my opinion, the Endela came less pointy from the factory.