Knife YouTubers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Flash

Knife YouTubers

Post by Flash »

Been watching more knife content on YouTube lately and was wondering who folks on here like to watch?

I’ve been enjoying Cedric and Ada for many years - He is informative yet doesn’t take himself too seriously and funny with it too. Very entertaining videos and a firm favourite.

Michael Christy - straight to the point and refreshingly direct. He single-handedly changed the way I sharpen my knives, albeit nowhere near his immense skill level. It’s a real shame we don’t really hear from him on YouTube anymore as he gave brilliant insights to how different steels perform.

Virtuovice - Outdoor legend! Practices in real life what he talks about - gotta respect that. I’ve been watching his videos for years and only recently realised they have an AMSR, send you to sleep (not in a boring way) element about them.

I can think of a few more but they are my top three. What are yours?
riclaw

Re: Knife YouTubers

Post by riclaw »

Nick Shabazz - Great reviewer. Great sense of humor. But for the love of Christmas someone please teach this man how to pronounce Shaman.

Wayne's Sharp World - He's been doing more Chinese brands lately but I like his review style and appreciate the "best of year" videos where he breaks it down by price range.

Both Wayne and Nick keep the focus on the knives by staying out of the camera.

Jay at Lefty EDC has several excellent videos but he hasn't posted in a few months. Hope he's all right.
- Richard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's an interesting question......I used to watch certain guys but, haven't in the last few years....
Heck, I can't even remember who I used to watch...
But, the last guy I watched a couple times was Ole Scabbers, of Chior Boys - he's pretty intersting...
Edit- I remember one I used to watch was Dr. Frunky
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I love Tristate EDC because he is so warped and funny as well as what appears to be a good human. I enjoy any knife channel that shows enthusiasm for this community and knowledge of the products. Knife Nerdery is great. Neeves Knives, Metal Complex and so on…
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Yes I like Nick Shabazz, his reviews are very polished and his disassembly videos have been extremely useful to me in the past.

I used to really like DBK - very entertaining pair, but lately some of their content has been disappointing.
vivi

Post by vivi »

never found one I liked enough to follow.

If I'm interested in a model I'll search for it and check out videos. They're usually pretty bad....half hour of flicking a knife open on a desk, or someone slicing water bottles in their backyard.....but they can give me some idea how a model handles.
:unicorn
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'll watch almost any Nick Shabazz review. I watch others if they're reviewing a knife I'm particularly interested in.

It's funny hearing Nick complain about a knife being too big and in the same breath mention that he has small hands... :beaming-face
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Nick Shabazz and Cedric & Ada are my favorites. I like Nick's analytical and systematical approach. Cedric & Ada is informative and I like his sense of humor. I also watch Metal Complex from time to time. For the rest I just look up reviews of knives i'm interested in. These days it's an overload of new brands, models and what not. Nick Shabazz is great at filtering out what i'm interested in.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Flash

Post by Flash »

I do think there’s more than a few that go for quantity over quality.

It’s Like a constant string of unboxing videos with a quick talk about it’s size and it’s mechanism throw in for good measure. If your lucky you’ll get a size comparison against some obscure, high end hipster monstrosity.

Really bland generic stuff that’s basically telling us it’s features you can read off the box, and then back in that box without so much as cutting a single thing.

Those YouTubers are just background noise and hold very little credence or value to me. Enabled by knife companies sending them free stuff.

Thank god for the unsubscribe button.
Flash

Post by Flash »

As an antithesis to the people in my above post The late, great Cliff Stamp - his knowledge and insight were second to none. A true Knife legend.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Stassa 23 👏
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Advanced Knife Bro is 100% my favorite. I don’t even like traditionals that much, but his content is 🔥.

Dutch Bushcraft Boys is pretty good. They’re a bit crass sometimes.

David C. Andersen with Knife Center has a great perspective on new knives - not over the top, very reasonable guy with a long view of the industry.

I try to stay away from the guys with clickbait titles who mostly talk trash about things they don’t really understand.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:47 pm
Advanced Knife Bro is 100% my favorite. I don’t even like traditionals that much, but his content is 🔥.

Dutch Bushcraft Boys is pretty good. They’re a bit crass sometimes.

David C. Andersen with Knife Center has a great perspective on new knives - not over the top, very reasonable guy with a long view of the industry.

I try to stay away from the guys with clickbait titles who mostly talk trash about things they don’t really understand.
Advanced Knife Bro is hilarious 🤣
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

kennethsime wrote:
David C. Andersen with Knife Center has a great perspective on new knives - not over the top, very reasonable guy with a long view of
I think DCA is the best presenter out of all the big retailers. I like how he makes the other reps in his videos look good.

The new BladeHQ guy seems like a younger DCA without the polish. He's good, but with more years under his belt he'll be even better.

I miss Tyler from GPKnives videos. Great voice and solid information.
- Richard
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:28 am
kennethsime wrote:
David C. Andersen with Knife Center has a great perspective on new knives - not over the top, very reasonable guy with a long view of
The new BladeHQ guy seems like a younger DCA without the polish. He's good, but with more years under his belt he'll be even better.
I like George - he’s no Zac or Ben yet, but he’s on his way. His digital marketing guy (forget his name) is good too. Very happy they brought them on, I unsubscribed for a while when Dallas was making all of their videos.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I used to watch a lot of knife related content on youtube but it became increasingly difficult to find channels that weren’t trying to become some self made millionaires through monetizing the videos they make of their knives. Some even acted like they were already there. As if having a small time youtube channel has earned them some high level of entitlement.

I was also repelled by the idolization some channels started to get. To me it was getting weird and I didn’t want to be associated with that, even by mistake.

I do still like David C Anderson and Knifecenters videos because it is obvious to me that they don’t have some sort of social media influencer agenda. They advertise for their website in videos but it’s very different than the clout-chasing that steered me away. I don’t watch their videos religiously or anything like that but I have found their videos to be most tolerable.
-Nick :bug-red
Flash

Post by Flash »

I like David C Anderson, he comes across as a genuine type of knife dude but I have to ask myself the question of; do I really need to watch someone flog me their knives. I have quite enough already thank you very much Dave.

Outdoor55 - he’s does some great sharpening vids, I know some folks on here have very little requirement for this skill, 😆 but he clearly puts the time and effort in showing us some great content. If for some unimaginable reason you are undecided about whether or not you should use a pull-through sharpener, check his video out.

AKB (Advanced knife Bro) - I Like his dry humour and his videos are quite slick and informative. Another good knife lad.