Boning Knife Recommendation?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
petz462

Boning Knife Recommendation?

Post by petz462 »

Hello all,
I'm looking for a good boning knife and would prefer something Japanese made that won't break the bank. I've been getting by with Dexter and similar curved boning knives for awhile now for processing whitetail deer and like their shape, but mine never hold an edge very long and I feel like I want to try something better. Was looking at an Enso in VG-10 on sale for $89.95 but know nothing of that company. Not against a Honesuki style knife if it's a better choice. Or maybe there's a US made knife in US style that's great and I just don't know about it. Any recommendations are appreciated.
thanks and best regards, Dave
Dave
USAF Retired
vivi

Re: Boning Knife Recommendation?

Post by vivi »

I use Cold Steels commercial series boning knives myself, but they probably won't hold an edge any longer than yours.

you can get them in super blue around $120-150

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaosuho15.html

hap40 for a bit more - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohaho151.html

You can get them $80-110 if you step down to blue or white steel. Very easy to get extremely sharp but won't hold an edge as long as super blue.
:unicorn
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

What's your price range?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Which Dexters are you using? Sani-safe or wood handled carbon steel?
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

If you want something similar to a American boning knife with Japanese performance, I have heard of people using a petty to replace their boning knives. This is a thin stainless option that is generally regarded as being tough for how thin it is, but bear in mind that Japanese knives aren't as tough as something like a Dexter, they can chip if used roughly.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapspe15.html

-- Old Norse proverb
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's what I do when I don't need a flexible blade. Yoshimitsu white #1 6" petty.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:06 pm
I use Cold Steels commercial series boning knives myself, but they probably won't hold an edge any longer than yours.

you can get them in super blue around $120-150

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaosuho15.html

hap40 for a bit more - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohaho151.html

You can get them $80-110 if you step down to blue or white steel. Very easy to get extremely sharp but won't hold an edge as long as super blue.
Many thanks vivi. Please disregard the PM I sent you a day or so ago, it had the same basic question. The HAP40 sure looks interesting and I think I'd prefer it's handle.
Dave
USAF Retired
petz462

Post by petz462 »

double post.
Dave
USAF Retired
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:12 pm
What's your price range?
Was initially thinking under $100, but like so many things go, I may have to refine that up to around $175.
Dave
USAF Retired
petz462

Post by petz462 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:19 pm
Sani-safe. Mine seem to dull very quickly. I would guess the carbon steel is better?
Dave
USAF Retired
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:53 pm
If you want something similar to a American boning knife with Japanese performance, I have heard of people using a petty to replace their boning knives. This is a thin stainless option that is generally regarded as being tough for how thin it is, but bear in mind that Japanese knives aren't as tough as something like a Dexter, they can chip if used roughly.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapspe15.html
thanks Scandi. That one looks good too.
Dave
USAF Retired
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

petz462 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:42 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sani-safe. Mine seem to dull very quickly. I would guess the carbon steel is better?
The overwhelming choice among butchers is Dexter wood handled carbon steel along with an F Dick steel hone in an aluminum scabbard hanging from a belt slung around their waist.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

petz462 wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:
I've heard mixed opinions as to whether the carbon or stainless Dexsteel knives hold an edge better. I have a Dexsteel, it doesn't get used for too much so it's edge retention is adequate for my use, but what I will say is that this variety of steel seems to perform better for longer with a coarse edge. I run mine with a 320 grit edge and it seems to cut through meat almost unrealistically well for the price point when sporting that edge. Barely touched my knuckle a few months ago while trimming off fat and found it works very well on me too. :grimace

Also I don't think you'll have to go up to $175 to get a good Japanese option. The first big decision you will have to make is stainless or carbon, but when it comes to good quality J-knives it is much more preference than a clear advantage between the two, both will serve you well. Typically the trade off is corrosion maintenance or sharpening maintenance, carbon has to be kept from rusting, stainless is typically (not always) harder to sharpen. I am a high carbon romantic so I use carbon, I also enjoy sharpening it more, but again I wouldn't get too caught on which is better. The option I suggested is a steel that should feel very similar to a high carbon but is in fact stainless. It is also one of the highest value knives available, offering comparable performance to knives often costing twice as much.

-- Old Norse proverb
petz462

Post by petz462 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:51 pm
petz462 wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:
The overwhelming choice among butchers is Dexter wood handled carbon steel along with an F Dick steel hone in an aluminum scabbard hanging from a belt slung around their waist.
Copy that, probably worth my while to pick one up even if I also get a more pricey one. Thanks!
Dave
USAF Retired
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

petz462 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:44 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:51 pm
petz462 wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:
Copy that, probably worth my while to pick one up even if I also get a more pricey one. Thanks!
Don't think you'll regret it. Best deal on the market. Deer fat is highly saturated and prevents rust. :winking-tongue
vivi

Post by vivi »

just don't use a steel on the japanese style knives.....steels are too hard.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:27 pm
petz462 wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:
I've heard mixed opinions as to whether the carbon or stainless Dexsteel knives hold an edge better. I have a Dexsteel, it doesn't get used for too much so it's edge retention is adequate for my use, but what I will say is that this variety of steel seems to perform better for longer with a coarse edge. I run mine with a 320 grit edge and it seems to cut through meat almost unrealistically well for the price point when sporting that edge. Barely touched my knuckle a few months ago while trimming off fat and found it works very well on me too. :grimace

Also I don't think you'll have to go up to $175 to get a good Japanese option. The first big decision you will have to make is stainless or carbon, but when it comes to good quality J-knives it is much more preference than a clear advantage between the two, both will serve you well. Typically the trade off is corrosion maintenance or sharpening maintenance, carbon has to be kept from rusting, stainless is typically (not always) harder to sharpen. I am a high carbon romantic so I use carbon, I also enjoy sharpening it more, but again I wouldn't get too caught on which is better. The option I suggested is a steel that should feel very similar to a high carbon but is in fact stainless. It is also one of the highest value knives available, offering comparable performance to knives often costing twice as much.
Many thanks Scandi. Love this forum for what it teaches amateurs like me... :clapping-hands
Dave
USAF Retired
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:50 pm
Not sure of what you mean by steels are too hard.

A steel is too hard on a blade if you whack away at it like Gordon Ramsey, but otherwise, I find the use of a smoothe steel quite useful on knives below 61-62 HRC......if used at a constant proper angle and on the slower side in motion with a light touch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:31 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:50 pm
Not sure of what you mean by steels are too hard.

A steel is too hard on a blade if you whack away at it like Gordon Ramsey, but otherwise, I find the use of a smoothe steel quite useful on knives below 61-62 HRC......if used at a constant proper angle and on the slower side in motion with a light touch.
A lot of my kitchen knives are well above 61rc.

Generally I don't find knives respond well to smooth honing rods over 59rc or so.

With 65rc japanese knives you're a lot better off using an abrasive stone than a steel rod IMO.

I fully agree that when using honing rods, a smooth, light touch is ideal. I always tell my cooks pressing harder and trying to go fast and be flashy isn't going to give you a better edge. Sharpening a knife is about consistent angles and pressure, not showing off.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Flashy is criminal. ;) ;) ;)