A Gayle Bradley 2 in Cruwear!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

A Gayle Bradley 2 in Cruwear!

Post by nerdlock »

Just saw in BHQ's Instagram post. Can't post pics because my image hosting's down. Wow! Cruwear and that sweet hollow grind. I just hope they fix the stupid detent and the lockstick issues.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzwzY3WMT7x ... BiNWFlZA==

:bug-red-white
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
abbazaba

Re: A Gayle Bradley 2 in Cruwear!

Post by abbazaba »

Interesting. If they follow suit with a TiCN version I might in for the blade.

First BHQ exclusive that is a step backward from prod? :squinting-tongue

FWIW Ive had more than a couple GB2s and none of them had issues. One of the best Spydercos in production IMO.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

This is tempting. I guess it wouldn't be special enough if they did M4?? 😂 I love me some Cruwear, but I would not substitute it for the standard M4 on this one.
I think the cool thing about this one is you can dye it to get your own custom colored G10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I dunno, I really like Cruwear. It’s both tougher and more corrosion resistant than M4, with a slight loss in wear resistance. Blade HQ also tends to offer these exclusives at affordable prices, and this is a great candidate for a micarta scale swap.

I’d like a Millie 2 first, but this one is definitely in the running.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Good thing, I hope a lot of frenchies buy this one, I'll make scales for them :open-grin.

I for, one, might just buy my second exclusive ever !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

This is actually a pretty interesting one. I can't imagine I'll be able to pass on it.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
jdw

Post by jdw »

From everything that I’ve read about him or from Gayle Bradley himself I am surprised that anything endorsed by him isn’t M4. It’s an interesting choice by BHQ to switch steels from their normal exclusives away from a steel that’s preferred by the original designer.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I literally just got the standard M4 version delivered to me yesterday from Spyderco. It is truly an awesome knife, being hallow ground it feels like it can slice through anything.

No lock stick, awesome build. I don’t find the lock hard to disengage but I can see how some might.

The look of the CF scales is only okay, my main goal it to make wood scales for it, but making them for folding knives is a challenge vs say a Mule. I was think of going with wood Burl like these:
IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:36 am
I literally just got the standard M4 version delivered to me yesterday from Spyderco. It is truly an awesome knife, being hallow ground it feels like it can slice through anything.

No lock stick, awesome build. I don’t find the lock hard to disengage but I can see how some might.

The look of the CF scales is only okay, my main goal it to make wood scales for it, but making them for folding knives is a challenge vs say a Mule. I was think of going with wood Burl like these:
IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg
I'm going to make a set of burl or natural wood for the GB2 too. It's a bit harder since you might just break the darn thing right at the end but eh, the results are often wonderful :winking-tongue . I personally went back to natural wood after a N5 with blue stabilized poplar burl looked awful to my eyes :rofl
I might change that again for the GB2 :D
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I'm going to make a set of burl or natural wood for the GB2 too. It's a bit harder since you might just break the darn thing right at the end but eh, the results are often wonderful :winking-tongue . I personally went back to natural wood after a N5 with blue stabilized poplar burl looked awful to my eyes :rofl
I might change that again for the GB2 :D

Good to hear I am not the only one trying. My last attempt on another knife blew apart on the router. Caught some grain and ripped a big chunk out even with using the old scale as a guide.

I am also worried about carving out the spot on the inside of the scale for the lock bar.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

jdw wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:35 am
From everything that I’ve read about him or from Gayle Bradley himself I am surprised that anything endorsed by him isn’t M4. It’s an interesting choice by BHQ to switch steels from their normal exclusives away from a steel that’s preferred by the original designer.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Seems very strange, and a step backwards. But, as said also a great candidate for a scale swap or dye job. Great price too, vs the standard model with those cheap looking CF scales. Had that knife for awhile, couldn't stand those scales on an otherwise very nicely made knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

OG might be a good Black Friday deal
MRj “Weak things break!”
Matus

Post by Matus »

Awesome - very tempting. But man it needs different scales ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The GB2 is really a fantastic Spyderco, one of the most undersung for sure. I know it’s not under appreciated, since folks that try one typically are blown away by it, so hopefully a lot more people will be able to experience that with this exclusive. I can think of at least two custom scale makers that offer GB2 scales if anyone’s interested: RC Bladeworks and Sharp Dressed Knives. I’ve picked up scales for other models from both over the years and all have been fantastic quality, fit and finish. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:26 am
Good to hear I am not the only one trying. My last attempt on another knife blew apart on the router. Caught some grain and ripped a big chunk out even with using the old scale as a guide.

I am also worried about carving out the spot on the inside of the scale for the lock bar.
Just sent you a message :) I don't have a router so I'm using my sharpening skills to maintain the angle and go at it with a file ! At least I don't have the issue you just encountered. Too bad, I was planning on at least buying a 45° and rounded chamfer bits to put in the drill press and risk my life. I like to risk it all :squinting-tongue

Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Appreciate a new GB2 version, but that ugly G10 is just not doing it for me. I know it's part of the "USP" for this vendor, just not my cup of tea. Why not go for A CruCarta version instead?!
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

To illustrate possible scales replacements, micarta is a great option :open-grin

Even if William and I won't be satisfied by it no more :')

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sharp dressed knives on mine. Of course you can just get the standard version for this.

And G10 will take a good dye if you boil it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Here was my first trial attempt on a different Spyderco. Left too much extra wood on it leading to it being broken by the router.
IMG_5295.jpeg
Plus having my fingers that close was touch and go.

I do Mike wood working, making furniture and what not so part of making scales is just fun for me.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:01 am
Sharp dressed knives on mine. Of course you can just get the standard version for this.

And G10 will take a good dye if you boil it.
The patina on that M4 looks great, natural.