A Gayle Bradley 2 in Cruwear!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: A Gayle Bradley 2 in Cruwear!

Post by Ramonade »

vilePossum wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:18 am
I would really like to get it, but considering shipping and import taxes I am looking at 300+ € and that's just a pass right now.
Yeah, I found a friend to corrupt to reduce the shipping (and import taxes since theyre based on shipping too).

I think there was a pen and beanie gifted with my order.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:37 pm
riclaw wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:28 pm
I've got one on the way but don't like "jade" G10. Has anyone dyed G10 to match the grey color uses for the Ayoob sprint and Stretch XL?
The trouble is they will still be translucent - you can’t add opacity with rit dye.

You also can’t really go from a darker color to a lighter color.

That said, I don’t have much experience with the jade g10.
Thanks. I was looking at aftermarket scales on the new Handle Scale Vendors thread. Both Sharp Dressed Knives and RC Bladeworks offer micarta scales for the GB2. I might go that route. Any preference for one vendor or the other?

I could swap the scales from the M4 GB2. Would anyone on the secondary want to buy a M4/jade G10 GB2 frankenknife? M4 is supposedly not the best for humid Florida weather, so that version has sat in its box since I bought it.
- Richard
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:59 am
M4 is supposedly not the best for humid Florida weather, so that version has sat in its box since I bought it.
Put a little mineral oil or wax on it and enjoy it. Life's too short
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

riclaw wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
riclaw wrote:
I've got one on the way but don't like "jade" G10. Has anyone dyed G10 to match the grey color uses for the Ayoob sprint and Stretch XL?
The trouble is they will still be translucent - you can’t add opacity with rit dye.

Thanks. I was looking at aftermarket scales on the new Handle Scale Vendors thread. Both Sharp Dressed Knives and RC Bladeworks offer micarta scales for the GB2. I might go that route. Any preference for one vendor or the other?

I could swap the scales from the M4 GB2. Would anyone on the secondary want to buy a M4/jade G10 GB2 frankenknife? M4 is supposedly not the best for humid Florida weather, so that version has sat in its box since I bought it.
The jade g10 looks really good dyed black or gray. Here's a thread with pics:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87037&p=1433521

For some reason I posted my pic behind a spoiler curtain. But My Native5 used rit dyemore frost gray. I love the results and still have, carry, and use it.

As for the frankenspydie, I doubt you'll have a problem finding a buyer out there. I've sold my frankens on ebay in the past pretty easily.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Very odd choices for an exclusive. Usually retailers upgrade the materials. Let's see how it works out for them...
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Hi, PStone. Thanks for the link. You did a nice job on that Native 5. I was thinking about using a combo of Royal Purple and Sandstone to get a color called Breeze, which seems to most closely match the Gray G10 Spyderco uses on their Cruwear models. Rit Dye has all sorts of color formulas on their website.
https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/? ... boration=0
- Richard
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:00 pm
Hi, PStone. Thanks for the link. You did a nice job on that Native 5. I was thinking about using a combo of Royal Purple and Sandstone to get a color called Breeze, which seems to most closely match the Gray G10 Spyderco uses on their Cruwear models. Rit Dye has all sorts of color formulas on their website.
As you may recall Spyderco used a light grey G10 for the Para 3 Cruwear. I used the Frost Gray Rit Dye More and I think it's pretty close to my PM2 Cruwear

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:25 pm
riclaw wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:00 pm
As you may recall Spyderco used a light grey G10 for the Para 3 Cruwear. I used the Frost Gray Rit Dye More and I think it's pretty close to my PM2 Cruwear
Hey there, SG. Your PM3 turned out wonderfully. I added Frost Gray to my shopping list. Thanks!
- Richard
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:28 pm
Very odd choices for an exclusive. Usually retailers upgrade the materials. Let's see how it works out for them...
Username checks out…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

riclaw wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
riclaw wrote:

I haven’t used either, but have seen both in images and they both look great. RC does some really cool inlays. You may like the dye job too - no harm in trying that first before you order scales.

I agree with sharp guy about life being short, fwiw.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I have aftermarket micarta scales from sharp dressed knives and RC. I actually have micarta scales on the M4 GB2. My preference would be SDK over RC all things equal.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

SDK is good to go! Haven't dealt with RC yet.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Found a way to wait for the Cruwear GB2 to arrive :open-grin
Now I have a GB2 and 2GB, then it will become 2 GB2 and 2GB. Does it make 4 or 6 knives ? :thinking

Working on the wood scales today, I should have them finished this week-end.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

A tale of two packages. I ordered one of these then a few minutes later I ordered a second. Both orders were picked up at the same exact time. One order was in Colorado yesterday. The other is just now in Tennessee. Both packages are going to the same west coast address. Outstanding job, FedEx.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:00 am
A tale of two packages. I ordered one of these then a few minutes later I ordered a second. Both orders were picked up at the same exact time. One order was in Colorado yesterday. The other is just now in Tennessee. Both packages are going to the same west coast address. Outstanding job, FedEx.
Fedex marked mine as "delivered," but it hasn't showed up. They're so unreliable and don't care the slightest when you call them about it. Unacceptable.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Both knives arrived but I’ll be sending one back. One of them was heat sealed in plastic (with desiccant) and inside bubble wrap in the box. I sliced open the heat sealed plastic package and it was brand new untouched as one would expect. The other was just sitting in the box. No sealed plastic. No desiccant. No bubble wrap. Just a knife in the box. It had fingerprints all over the blade and some crazy lock stick. How I got someone’s used knife on a new release I don’t know, but I did.

The “new” gb2 I opened is perfect in every way and I’ll be keeping that example.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm gonna make an exception and buy a knife in the USa today. Can't tell if I go for a second Cruwear GB2 or the Manix 2 LW in M4 (Or the Damas/Pakkawood Endura, to customzie the scales with some crazy carbon fiber)

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I forgot to add a pic of my Cruwear GB2 wearing some SDK OD green Micarta scales. I couldn’t recommend this knife any more highly, it’s fantastic. SDK is also running a Tax Day sale today and he still has a few nice sets of GB2 scales left, and if the ones you want are sold out, it would probably be worth getting in touch with him to see if you can order some at today’s sale prices. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 am
I forgot to add a pic of my Cruwear GB2 wearing some SDK OD green Micarta scales. I couldn’t recommend this knife any more highly, it’s fantastic. SDK is also running a Tax Day sale today and he still has a few nice sets of GB2 scales left, and if the ones you want are sold out, it would probably be worth getting in touch with him to see if you can order some at today’s sale prices. Cheers, Radioactive
Looking good ! This is my favorite type of micarta, I'm making a set of the same kind for the GB1 right now :open-grin.

Forgot to share but I dressed mine with some sycomore wood dyed blue, it's like an old kellog's toy they made to promote the Anastasia movie. It's iridescent, really funny.