Spyderco Stretch Original

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ninemm

Spyderco Stretch Original

Post by ninemm »

Hey all! Recently picked up an OG Stretch in Hap40. Totally in love with the ergos and blade shape. Unfortunately this means I’m not a huge fan of the Stretch 2. It’s been hard trying to find any original Stretch versions out there for sale. Especially since people mislabel them as Stretch 2s. Does anyone have leads on vendors that still may have some old models laying around? Cheers!
Manixguy@1994

Re: Spyderco Stretch Original

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Try New Graham Knives . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Nice pickup! I used to call the HAP40 Stretch Spyderco’s greatest sleeper model of all time. It’s such a great model but ever since the Stretch 2, the model has been getting some long due attention and doesn’t quite fit the sleeper category anymore.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bento box shop https://www.bentoboxshop.com/ still has the VG10, HAP 40 and ZDP Stretch 1 [EDIT/CORRECTION: The ZDP version is the Stretch 2, not the 1]

(Quite some appearantly don't like the business politics of that vendor (no returns...), I bought there once or twice back when they were still shipping to Europe and it went well).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ninemm wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 pm
Hey all! Recently picked up an OG Stretch in Hap40. Totally in love with the ergos and blade shape. Unfortunately this means I’m not a huge fan of the Stretch 2....

I really hear you, I've been raving about how great the Stretch 1 was/is and how the "2" is not an improvement for me personally (!).
My points in summary:

- The "1" has an amazing edge to handle length ratio - I think when it comes to Spydies with finger choil only the Caly 3.5 is better (and the 1 packs clearly more edge than the 2 in its also clearly more compact handle)

- True also concerning weight: The "1" is lighter, but offers more blade /edge

- The "1" imo has the perfect finger choil: Short (does not eat up much edge length, let's the hand still sit close to the edge when not choking up), shallow, not to recessed (gives me more control), but with a wide radius (good also for thicker fingers)

- The "1" really locks the hand in with its pinky hook, which the "2" does not really feature any more (the "2" definitely though offers more space for really huge paws, but the "1" still a tad more grip area behind the choil than for example a Manix )

- The "1" has a great tip: Thin, but rather sturdy due to the "drop" towards the tip.
The tip of the "2" imo is TOO "blunt" in the original blade shape and a bit too pointy/fragile in the straight spine version.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:09 pm
Nice pickup! I used to call the HAP40 Stretch Spyderco’s greatest sleeper model of all time. It’s such a great model but ever since the Stretch 2, the model has been getting some long due attention and doesn’t quite fit the sleeper category anymore.

:grin-big eyes I used to call my HAP 40 Stretch the best EDC knife ever for a while...(and it will definitely always be in at least my top 5).
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I remember with agony passing up a good deal on a BNIB S1 in Hap40 thinking it would be too big in the handle for me. This was a few years ago before I’ve had a chance to hold/try one.
Now I know better.
It won’t happen again.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:57 am
I remember with agony passing up a good deal on a BNIB S1 in Hap40 thinking it would be too big in the handle for me. This was a few years ago before I’ve had a chance to hold/try one.
Now I know better.
It won’t happen again.
The HAP40 Stretch 1 at Bento Box Shop is 200 USD... I got mine from them for a lot less money quite some time ago, but I think THIS version of THIS knife is worth the 200... but I know, if you even can figure out a way having it shipped to you here in Europe it will likely be at least 300...
jdw

Post by jdw »

The HAP40 version of the original Stretch is my favorite version of the Stretch family. The steel feels like it was made for this knife and I like both the aesthetics and ergonomics a lot more than the Stretch 2 or any of the straight spine versions. I appreciate Sal and company’s CQI but I agree with Wartstein that this may be one of Spyderco’s best pairings ever. For me, this is an example of trying to fix something that wasn’t broke.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:07 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:57 am
Now I know better.
It won’t happen again.
The HAP40 Stretch 1 at Bento Box Shop is 200 USD... I got mine from them for a lot less money quite some time ago, but I think THIS version of THIS knife is worth the 200... but I know, if you even can figure out a way having it shipped to you here in Europe it will likely be at least 300...

I just picked mine up NIB without box from eBay for around $180 and it was worth every penny. If I had seen the $200 price tag from Bento first I would not have blinked at picking it up.

Also agreed on all your points regarding the Stretch 1 vs the 2. Really is just a sweet spot in EDC. Would be amazing to see them bring it back again into a new run!
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:03 pm
I didn’t see any listed but good site to keep in the back pocket.
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

jdw wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:47 am
The HAP40 version of the original Stretch is my favorite version of the Stretch family. The steel feels like it was made for this knife and I like both the aesthetics and ergonomics a lot more than the Stretch 2 or any of the straight spine versions. I appreciate Sal and company’s CQI but I agree with Wartstein that this may be one of Spyderco’s best pairings ever. For me, this is an example of trying to fix something that wasn’t broke.
Yeah I wonder what led to the evolution? Feedback from customers? Their own individual experience? Would be interesting to learn why the changes were made.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ninemm wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 pm
Hey all! Recently picked up an OG Stretch in Hap40. Totally in love with the ergos and blade shape. Unfortunately this means I’m not a huge fan of the Stretch 2. It’s been hard trying to find any original Stretch versions out there for sale. Especially since people mislabel them as Stretch 2s. Does anyone have leads on vendors that still may have some old models laying around? Cheers!
Your mention of blade shape leads me to wonder if straight-spine Stetches are what you don’t like. Earlier Stretch2s did have the OG’s gracefully-curved spine but in a slightly taller blade.

While I have added straight-spines to my Stretch1-2 collection, I’d really rather the Stretch have its graceful (and distinctive) curves.

Am I (are we) alone?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I too, would rather the Stretch have its graceful curves. I have an SE Stretch 2XL with its straight spine, but it's hard to think of it as being related to my OG Hap40 Stretch.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I love my hap40 Stretch, too!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am a big fan of both the Stretch 1 and 2. I quite like the Hap40 and V-Toku 2 models I have.

I much prefer the curvy spine to the straight spine.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ninemm wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:22 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:03 pm
I didn’t see any listed but good site to keep in the back pocket.
Sorry my bad , wrong dealer . The Stretch 1 CF in ZDP-189 is still available at Country Knives . Pricey . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Well, this thread just caused me to purchase a Hap40 Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:27 pm
Well, this thread just caused me to purchase a Hap40 Stretch.

I am sure you won't regret it!

Me, this thread really makes me want to carry and use my HAP40 Stretch again. But I won't be home till next monday, so I can't.

The Stretch 1 has a nice, thin blade anyway, but I always felt as if the HAP 40/SUS410 blade was even a bit thinner than the VG10 (same with my HAP40 and VG10 Endura).
Never actually measured that, don't know if it's true.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

As a BIG fan of the original Stretch, I am glad to see that there are others out there. I have carried a Stretch ZDP-189 in my pocket for many years. Before that, I carried various Delicas for about 20 years (G2- AUS-8 - ATS-55 - VG-10).

I am currently trying a variety of different Spydies. But the Stretch is still my favorite although I do enjoy several others.

Thanks Warstein for posting that the HAP40 original Stretch is available at BentoBox. I missed out way back when, but I went ahead and got one. I soon have 3 Stretches - VG-10, ZDP-189, with HAP40 coming.

I, too, like the distinctive curve of the blade as well as the longer "pinky hook" on the handle that the original has vs the 2 which was shortened. Similar in feel to the PM2, I like that the Stretch has a lockback which provides a full back providing more support for more hands when using the knife.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2