Manix Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tcarltonw

Manix Sprint

Post by tcarltonw »

If I'm late on posting, disregard. GP knives just dropped their manix lw in Rex 45 sprint.
Hopsbreath

In the “Delivered and Upcoming Thread”

Post by Hopsbreath »

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat Buddafucco.
Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:00 am
Manix2 Lightweight CPM-REX45 Black DLC Blade White FRCP C101PWHBK2 GP Knives (USA) is/was available at exclusive dealer.
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-manix ... whbk2.html

SteveMidwest

Re: Manix Sprint

Post by SteveMidwest »

I just called into GP Knives to order their latest Satin version. :bug-white

They asked me what Knife I wanted to order. I answered: "The Manix 2 LW in Rex 45". Then to my surprise, he asks: "Do you want that in a Satin or Black blade finish?" Mind you, this is on the morning of December 20th, 2023. In the back of my mind, I thought I had missed out on the Black bladed version. I guess not! :hugging-face

So I ordered both . . . :cheap-sunglasses
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Nice haul, Steve. The satin one is an especially smokin' deal.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:07 am

Nice haul, Steve. The satin one is an especially smokin' deal.
It sure is! :collision

Help me think back, RustyIron. Isn't this the first Rex 45 to be DLC coated, on any Spyderco knife?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Beats me. I have one of the burnt orange sprints, which I dyed and patinated to a very dark shade. If I didn't already have it, I'd want one of these new ones. Red and black looks sweet.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:20 am
Help me think back, RustyIron. Isn't this the first Rex 45 to be DLC coated, on any Spyderco knife?
There was a similar Para 3 and Native 5 from GPKnives. Also a Blade HQ copper handled PM2 exclusive.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 am
SteveMidwest wrote:
There was a similar Para 3 and Native 5 from GPKnives. Also a Blade HQ copper handled PM2 exclusive.
Yes JSumm is correct. I love the para 3 version.
Image Dyed the white of course
MRj “Weak things break!”
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 am
SteveMidwest wrote:

Thank you. I just couldn't think of any, and I don't follow the Para 3's and Native's very closely.
After I posted this question, I did get a faint image in the back of my head, of a DLC Shaman in Rex 45. Probably just something my mind came up with though. :smiling-cheeks
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

I got one of these Manix 2 Rex 45 GP Knives exclusive, the blade is very sharp right off the box. Right now I'm trying to see if I can get a deep-wire pocket clip for it.

My only complaint is that the scales have some sharp edges. I might need to sand and polish them with some fine sandpaper and use my Dremel tool to polish them. I also bought these days a Para 3 LW and the scales feel much better in my hands.
You can see that the Para 3 scales are much smoother from the factory. I never tried to sand the FRN scales but if someone has a video on that please let me know. Also if there is a thread on this forum please post it below.
Thank you!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gimibala wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:16 am
I got one of these Manix 2 Rex 45 GP Knives exclusive, the blade is very sharp right off the box. Right now I'm trying to see if I can get a deep-wire pocket clip for it.

My only complaint is that the scales have some sharp edges. I might need to sand and polish them with some fine sandpaper and use my Dremel tool to polish them. I also bought these days a Para 3 LW and the scales feel much better in my hands.
You can see that the Para 3 scales are much smoother from the factory. I never tried to sand the FRN scales but if someone has a video on that please let me know. Also if there is a thread on this forum please post it below.
Thank you!
Can't point you to a specific thread right now, but people do sand FRN scales - not only in order to smooth out "edges", but to actually remove small parts of the handle (like the point behind the first Endura finger groove).

The Manix handle is made out of FRCP, not FRN. Should not make that much of a difference though, despite to me FRCP feels a bit "stiffer" or "harder " or "more brittle".

I am with you btw.: The Manix 2 LW handle has great ergos in most scenarios, but when really "squeezing" the handle in hard tasks the edges get uncomfortably sharp.
Para 3 LW is better in that regard indeed and the Seki FRNs even more so imo.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)