Superhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kriezek

Superhawk

Post by kriezek »

This knife would make a GREAT gardening knife if produced in Magnacut. There are NO really good gardening knives on the market today produced by Spyderco.

All of the hawkbill knives are serrated and/or high corrosion resistance which require frequent sharpening. We gardeners need something that can help us cut veggies off the vine, cut roots out of the ground, and open up containers.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
JoviAl

Re: Superhawk

Post by JoviAl »

Agreed. I’ve been debating between a somewhat too short Tasman Salt SE and a somewhat too prone to rust Matriarch. Both are a compromise. What I’d really like is a 4~4.5inch SE ultra stainless bladed hawkbill with a linered tough as old boots handle (FRN would be good) in a colour I can find in long grass when I inevitably drop it.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:54 am
Agreed. I’ve been debating between a somewhat too short Tasman Salt SE and a somewhat too prone to rust Matriarch. Both are a compromise. What I’d really like is a 4~4.5inch SE ultra stainless bladed hawkbill with a linered tough as old boots handle (FRN would be good) in a colour I can find in long grass when I inevitably drop it.

The Orange H1 Spyderhawk SE sprint from about 5 years back was the exact knife you are looking for (minus the liner...but not really needed). I use mine for this purpose as well. I wish they would just put this knife back into production.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I like the Matriarch 2 better for gardening, so I'd rather see a Matriarch 2 Salt. That said, if the H1 Spyderhawk SE sprint (or really any Salt steel) were re-introduced, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
benben

Post by benben »

I don’t know….I’ve got both a serrated H1 & LC200N Pacific Salt that I bought for this very reason, they both work fantastic!
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:22 am
JoviAl wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:54 am

The Orange H1 Spyderhawk SE sprint from about 5 years back was the exact knife you are looking for (minus the liner...but not really needed). I use mine for this purpose as well. I wish they would just put this knife back into production.
Me too. I missed my chance. :(
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've got the superhawk and spyderhawk. They're both awesome. But if we can't get Wharncliffes off the ground, hawkbills are a tough sell. They'll likely remain a secret of the knife AFI community.

For gardening I'd lean spyderhawk, just for corrosion resistance and ease of cleaning. EDC superhawk all day, for the big FFG hawkbill and compression lock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

benben wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:13 am
I don’t know….I’ve got both a serrated H1 & LC200N Pacific Salt that I bought for this very reason, they both work fantastic!
Do you have any issues with needing to resharpen on a regular basis? Does the serration lessen that impact?

I prefer plain edge knives due to the cleanness of the cut. Serrated cuts seem to tear more and that is isn't what I want on plants. Roots otoh, rip - tear - destroy!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Matriarch 2 will fill that role nicely. It's my go to outside knife for that kind of work. Going to be using mine heavily here in the next few weeks. Works better than pruners/sheers! One pull cut and the job is done.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you get a sharpmaker and touch up the serrations often, and keep them as sharp as you would a plain edge, you really don't have tearing problems. PE is always going to leave a cleaner cut, but for plants, the aggression of sharp serrations is worth the trade off unless you're doing something like grafting.

I know it's not plants but I just used my serrated spyderhawk to cut up old carpeting. Sharp enough that I was slicing not sawing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
benben

Post by benben »

kriezek wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:12 pm
benben wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:13 am
Do you have any issues with needing to resharpen on a regular basis? Does the serration lessen that impact?

I prefer plain edge knives due to the cleanness of the cut. Serrated cuts seem to tear more and that is isn't what I want on plants. Roots otoh, rip - tear - destroy!
Well, we obviously have two different uses for an outside, Saturday work in the yard knife, mine is used for destruction. Vines and limbs, and opening bags of seed and fertilizer.

Both H1 and LC200 are so easy to touch up on the Sharpmaker, seriously, just minutes and it’s back to a razor!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kriezek wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:34 pm
This knife would make a GREAT gardening knife if produced in Magnacut. There are NO really good gardening knives on the market today produced by Spyderco.

All of the hawkbill knives are serrated and/or high corrosion resistance which require frequent sharpening. We gardeners need something that can help us cut veggies off the vine, cut roots out of the ground, and open up containers.
I do hear your concerns but I also respectfully disagree with you that there are no good gardening knives in Spyderco's past line up. The SPYDERHAWK ( a large Hawkbill model) in full SE is a great gardening tool>> I know because I've been using one for over 8 years now for a wide array of gardening and landscaping chores. And I've been extremely satisfied with the performance. I also use a full SE HARPY for certain types of small work in the garden.

With all of that said I am on board with you to resurrect the SUPERHAWK model. I've said it at least 1000 times that if they had made it available in a fully serrated selection as well as offering it in plain edge it would have had much more appeal than what it did in PE only. The plain edge in that model really held it back IMO. Having a Hawkbill blade in plain edge only really limits what you can do with it. Serrated Hawkbill blades have many more practical uses in the garden and in everyday cutting chores.

But I am 100% on board with your desire to see the SUPERHAWK return. But they need to offer it in SE and PE both>> and I wouldn't be at all opposed to having the SUPERHAWK offered in CE (combo edge). I believe it's one Hawkbill that would do well in CE.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Thanks for the inputs and feedback. Quite helpful.

Considering my garden is here now, I am going to experiment by getting 2 Salts - one PE and SE. I will put them through the various chores and see what's what. I prefer to keep an open mind and I can always sell the one I don't like. Of course, I tell myself that, but never have. LOL

After some torture tests in the yard, I hope to report back and provide an update on how these things fit the bill. Still doesn't mean a SuperHawk would not be nice especially due to its handle ergonomics.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

what you all really need is the whale rescue blade on a handle! i wish i had a chance to snag one before they went away.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would like a corrosion resistant SE Kama, but would also go for the SE Superhawk I guess. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

kobold wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:37 pm
I would like a corrosion resistant SE Kama, but would also go for the SE Superhawk I guess. :-)
Buy a whale rescue and modify it accordingly.
kobold

Post by kobold »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:47 pm
kobold wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:37 pm
Buy a whale rescue and modify it accordingly.

Not a bad idea, but I don't think it's available anymore?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:47 pm
kriezek wrote:

I do hear your concerns but I also respectfully disagree with you that there are no good gardening knives in Spyderco's past line up. The SPYDERHAWK ( a large Hawkbill model) in full SE is a great gardening tool>> I know because I've been using one for over 8 years now for a wide array of gardening and landscaping chores. And I've been extremely satisfied with the performance. I also use a full SE HARPY for certain types of small work in the garden.

With all of that said I am on board with you to resurrect the SUPERHAWK model. I've said it at least 1000 times that if they had made it available in a fully serrated selection as well as offering it in plain edge it would have had much more appeal than what it did in PE only. The plain edge in that model really held it back IMO. Having a Hawkbill blade in plain edge only really limits what you can do with it. Serrated Hawkbill blades have many more practical uses in the garden and in everyday cutting chores.

But I am 100% on board with your desire to see the SUPERHAWK return. But they need to offer it in SE and PE both>> and I wouldn't be at all opposed to having the SUPERHAWK offered in CE (combo edge). I believe it's one Hawkbill that would do well in CE.
I remember being onboard for the release of the Super Hawk , Forum was jumping . I have to agree Joe the offering of only PE was probably a miscalculation. I just never could warm up to the shallow arch of the blade , It seemed more of a hybrid Wharncliffe than a Hawkbill . Still have Mr.Merlin for tender vines . A new release of a Spyder Hawk in SE would instantly draw my interest, especially a Salt version . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:11 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:47 pm
kriezek wrote:

I remember being onboard for the release of the Super Hawk , Forum was jumping . I have to agree Joe the offering of only PE was probably a miscalculation. I just never could warm up to the shallow arch of the blade , It seemed more of a hybrid Wharncliffe than a Hawkbill . Still have Mr.Merlin for tender vines . A new release of a Spyder Hawk in SE would instantly draw my interest, especially a Salt version . Dan
Agreed that the Spyderhawk's bigger curve is definitely more useful overall that the modest curve of the SUPERHAWK. But they both have their place. I still say that only making the original run of the SUPERHAWK in PE really shot themselves in the foot as far as the results on the sales charts.

However if they would make a fixed blade version of the SUPERHAWK in SE & PE they would sell much better yet. Each variant has it's place I'm certain of that. Now I did like the extremely rigid construction of the original Superhawk. A nice G-10 version of both models would do nicely I'm certain.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If the superhawk didn't have the choil and was more edge I'd probably carry it more. The spyderhawk is just a better design for me. But I guess I need to give my superhawk a little pocket time. It's been a while.