What do you carry hiking?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Poll ended at Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:49 pm

Folding knife
36%
Fixed blade
9%
Both
55%
None
No votes

Total votes: 11

RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Just seeing how much knife people have in the woods
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Mushroom

Re: What do you carry hiking?

Post by Mushroom »

Depends what kind of hiking I’m doing. Sometimes just folders and sometimes both.

The vast majority of my hiking here on East Coast is done on established trails. Even on multi-day overnight hikes, I could get by without having a knife on me at all. (But thats no fun! ;) ) On a longer hike like that (distance and duration) I tend to choose wisely and only carry one folder.

Shorter hikes where my pack weight isn’t such a concern, I like to carry a fixed blade along with a folder or two.
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I have been carrying folders in the past, but am shifting to fixed, ie, lightened Spyderco mules. My current hiking mule is 2.4 oz + .4 oz for the sheath, so about the same weight as my trusty hiking Manix LW, but with another 1/2" of edge, and more strength of course.

The only concern is that, legally, a fixed blade in Calif that is carried in a pack of any sort is considered a "concealed dagger." (What a mindless over-generalization.) Nobody cares or inspects if you're out on the trails, but it is a concern if walking through town, especially if you look like a vagrant, which happens after a few trail days. And I don't fancy the idea of legal open carry of a fixie in town--that attracts unwanted attention. So if I think there will be much "town time" I will continue to go with a folder.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I always carry both, even at Walmart. But when I'm hiking, the fixed blade gets bigger.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A fixed blade is what I used to prefer, though sometimes a folder. If something happens and for some reason one gets stuck in the wilderness a fixed blade will be a blessing. It may not happen, but remember the Boy Scout Motto.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well on a short hike just a folder, but overnight like with camping involved I definitely add a fixed blade 😉
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Spyderco Junction

If I have a backpack it’s always a fixed blade.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

In the past it has generally been a small fixed blade (3-4.5") and a folder; that trend will likely continue. I may buy a Manix2 LW for this very purpose next summer.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

These days I carry a LW Tenacious. I don't want to carry an expensive knife like a limited PM2 or Manix 2 and I need to carry a blade under 3.5" because I'm frequently hiking in Colorado or going through Colorado.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It depends..
On day hikes with the family and/or friends where I’m likely to make a fire or the kids may want to carve something, I usually bring a robust fixed blade, e.g. Fällkniven F1 and a lightweight folder for food prep and finer tasks, e.g. Salt 2.

On backpacking hikes weight is more of a concern and I rarely need to cut anything beyond food or fabric (for repair work). The Salt 2 FFG is probably my most carried for this type of hiking.

Some hikes where weight, bulk or legal limitations are quite restrictive and the likelihood of needing a knife is very low I may go with only a Victorinox alox Bantam, alox Cadet, Sportsman or Compact depending of the type of hike.

On some odd hikes, if I believe there are safety concerns related to only carrying a folder, I will throw a Mora Companion spark in my backpack even if I only expect to need my folding knife - just in case. Typically this is something I do on day hikes in the colder months.