Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brancron

Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by brancron »

I felt that the upcoming LC200N Sprint Run of the classic Catcherman deserved its own thread!

A picture:

(At first I thought this upcoming sprint run was the first one with a full flat grind, but I was wrong. There was a black FRN one in MBS-26 from the early 2000s that was also FFG. See Spydie Wiki link below.)

JD Spydo's thread on the classic Catcherman: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89533

The Spydie Wiki page: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... Catcherman

Here's a picture of mine:

The Catcherman has been one of my favorite Spydercos for quite a while. I'm no fisherman, mind you, but I've found that the knife excels in all sorts of non-fishy contexts as well. Need to cut a bagel? This is your knife! Need a picnic knife? Grab the Catcherman. There's a great outdoor BBQ place by our house, and I always bring the Catcherman to cut up the smoked chickens/brisket/etc.

It's so lightweight, so nice and thin behind the edge, and is so useful that I was ecstatic to see this sprint run in the recent reveal. More people need to get their hands on this eminently capable knife!
electro-static

Re: Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by electro-static »

brancron wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:15 pm
I felt that the upcoming LC200N Sprint Run of the classic Catcherman deserved its own thread!

A picture:

(At first I thought this upcoming sprint run was the first one with a full flat grind, but I was wrong. There was a black FRN one in MBS-26 from the early 2000s that was also FFG. See Spydie Wiki link below.)

JD Spydo's thread on the classic Catcherman: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89533

The Spydie Wiki page: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... Catcherman

Here's a picture of mine:

The Catcherman has been one of my favorite Spydercos for quite a while. I'm no fisherman, mind you, but I've found that the knife excels in all sorts of non-fishy contexts as well. Need to cut a bagel? This is your knife! Need a picnic knife? Grab the Catcherman. There's a great outdoor BBQ place by our house, and I always bring the Catcherman to cut up the smoked chickens/brisket/etc.

It's so lightweight, so nice and thin behind the edge, and is so useful that I was ecstatic to see this sprint run in the recent reveal. More people need to get their hands on this eminently capable knife!
It’s a must buy for me.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I must admit that I am very much intrigued by it. I am not 100% sure I would use it enough, but I like the design a lot. Maybe it could serve as my barbecue knife.

EDIT: I must say though - I still think that the black saber grind H1 looked more sexy, but LC200N is a lot better steel for most uses (and for some reason the saber / hollow grinds are being so far reserved for H1 / H2 blades)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I'm not yet sure how I would use it, but still find it interesting. It's a bit disturbing, but still hard to look away. :zany I still wish it had a removable/replaceable wire clip instead of the plastic one. But, if I don't use the clip, it's less likely to break.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Here's mine, a much used, very abused specimen I purchased in the mid-90s for around $40. I used it for years with essentially no care, often not even rinsing the blood and saltwater off until it needed sharpening. It still works fine, and the edge is as good as I can make an edge.

I know this is a minority opinion, but I like the integrally molded clip. Simple as can be and tough, too.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For what it’s worth, Spyderco still offers a repair service for their integral pocket clips.

I would expect that they will be getting warranty service requests from this Catcherman sprint.

More info - https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ent-clips/
Spyderco wrote: Broken molded (integral) clips can be removed entirely and replaced with metal clips for $20 (Plus a $5 return shipping fee). Integral clip replacement is a repair performed by our Warranty & Repair department. Our Warranty & Repair page includes information about where to send your knife.”
Last edited by Mushroom on Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Hoping I can snag 2 or 3 when the time comes.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Catcherman Salt Sprint Run with an LC200N FFG ComboEdge Blade (4.64” long and only 0.07” thick) for $112.00 should sell out fast! The integral handle and clip are pretty sweet.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I might get one as a pocket steak knife.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
vivi

Post by vivi »

super pumped. day 1 purchase for me. been asking for a sprint for years. didnt want to pay $200-250 for an aus8 user off ebay. So glad Spyderco is bringing this back.

I've never been too big on fishing but I'll legit buy myself a new rod and tacklebox once I get my catcherman.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:18 pm
For what it’s worth, Spyderco still offers a repair service for their integral pocket clips.

I would expect that they will be getting warranty service requests from this Catcherman sprint.

Spyderco wrote: Broken molded (integral) clips can be removed entirely and replaced with metal clips for $20 (Plus a $5 return shipping fee). Integral clip replacement is a repair performed by our Warranty & Repair department. Our Warranty & Repair page includes information about where to send your knife.”
I might do that on purpose, haha. I want a metal clip but didn't expect them to invest in a new mold.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:59 pm
super pumped. day 1 purchase for me. been asking for a sprint for years. didnt want to pay $200-250 for an aus8 user off ebay. So glad Spyderco is bringing this back.

I've never been too big on fishing but I'll legit buy myself a new rod and tacklebox once I get my catcherman.
Your cooking and fishing are great ways of making memories ans spending quality time with the kids. :winking-tongue
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:03 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:59 pm

Your cooking and fishing are great ways of making memories and spending quality time with the kids. :winking-tongue
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I’ll see if I can pay for this service before they ship it.
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:18 pm

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

At 2.7 oz it makes for a great backpack knife and a candidate for a custom Kydex sheath for a neck knife.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

This is THE knife of interest for me from that drop - I love me a long bladed folding knife.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'll be doing what I can within reason to land one of these.
Matus

Post by Matus »

For what it's worth - and especially since Spyderco is getting some heavy critique on the price of the Bodacious in the other thread - I think the price is very reasonable for this slim fella.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I hope they're making a gazillion of these. I'll be extremely happy to get my hands on one, but I really hope there is enough out there that I can land two. For something this rare, that has the potential for so much use, it would be very comforting to hav a spare sitting around.
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

It looks like an Emerson Persian Tactical. I'm sure it's good for all sorts of things.

I'll be getting a pair.