About knives & vibrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

About knives & vibrations

Post by Stas »

Asking this kind of question almost embarrasses me, but I come from the world of vintage watches where vibrations and humidity are big enemies. So, I apply the same mindset to my Spyderco knives. 😄

Do even minor vibrations affect folding knives, not the super strong and prolonged ones that loosen screws, but just regular handling, accidental bumps and transportation?

I know none of you probably inspect your knives inside under a microscope like we do with edges, but from a design and mechanical perspective, does it matter? After all, Sal added foam inserts to each box for a reason.

P.S. I get it, my knives have been on quite the journey to reach me, and parcels not handled like plutonium capsules from Back to the Future. But I still treat that plastic box with BNIB backups on top of my bookshelf like it's delicate, and when I accidentally bump the shelf below with a book's corner, I cringe! 😅
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
standy99

Re: About knives & vibrations

Post by standy99 »

Pocket knives go in pocket…don’t over think it. The occasional spa treatment will sort out anything.

Watch guy also and have plenty of 1950-60 Vintage Omegas that run as good as the day they left Omega with a regular service history.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Stas wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:54 am
Do even minor vibrations affect folding knives, not the super strong and prolonged ones that loosen screws, but just regular handling, accidental bumps and transportation?

I've never heard of it, or experienced it. The contact/mating surfaces of knives are just so much larger, stronger and hardier than watches or electronics or other delicate instruments. Simple designs with sufficient (often metal) contacting surfaces = sturdy.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I believe that foam insert is more to protect the box than the knife. The often maligned threadlocker is there to prevent vibration from loosening screws, and
it mostly works. Aside from threaded fasteners, there's nothing to worry about. Depending on how many boxes you have atop the bookcase, you may need to upgrade from "cringe" to "duck and cover". A guy could get buried that way around my place.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Stas wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:54 am
Asking this kind of question almost embarrasses me, but I come from the world of vintage watches where vibrations and humidity are big enemies. So, I apply the same mindset to my Spyderco knives. 😄

I know none of you probably inspect your knives inside under a microscope like we do with edges, but from a design and mechanical perspective, does it matter? After all, Sal added foam inserts to each box for a reason.

P.S. I get it, my knives have been on quite the journey to reach me, and parcels not handled like plutonium capsules from Back to the Future. But I still treat that plastic box with BNIB backups on top of my bookshelf like it's delicate, and when I accidentally bump the shelf below with a book's corner, I cringe! 😅
Nothing to worry about at all. Makes no difference from a design or mechanical perspective. :cheap-sunglasses
- Nick :bug-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

Only if batoning with a folder counts as vibration.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thanks so much for your replies!
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.