Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Post by akapennypincher »

One the Fence on two model both are Manix's.

Manix® 2 XL Black G-10 (C95G2)

Manix® 2 Black G-10 (C101G2)

Why would you choose one over the other. XL seem really big, so I personally leaning toward small version. :woozy
kerrcobra

Re: Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Post by kerrcobra »

Hands down the Manix 2 or 2 XL. I would definitely choose one of them. Buy both.
--Jeremy
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I find the XL to be a really magnificent work knife - it has a lot of blade, is super tough (it moonlights as a machete when I don’t have one to hand) and fits surprisingly well in my pocket. I like them so much I already have 2 and am looking for a 4V one. If they bring out a linered Salt version it would be my perfect knife. The regular manix is also a great design, but my personal uses almost always benefit from a larger blade and greater toughness.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I think it comes down to hand size. I have medium to medium small hands. While I've never held the XL it has no appeal to me and the regular sized one is perfect. Vivi, Giant, some others think the regular sized is actually mini-sized.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

By the xl
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have an XL and I have several versions of the standard and the standard LW. I think the standard LW makes a good EDC knife, even if you have big hands and you want to use it as a work knife. Nothing against the XL, I like it too. I think if the XL was the knife for you then you wouldn't be asking this question.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Don’t say both!?!? What is this heresy?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I've never owned the XL, but by comparisons, it appears to have the same size grip as the Manix 2 just with the extra pinky hook. Because of the hook, more blade is possible. But the grip seems to be the same with the added bonus on the XL of the hook to lock your hand in better. Plus the XL appears to be a bit more real estate in the pocket..
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manix if you have small hands, XL if you have big hands.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
wocket

Post by wocket »

I have the Manix 2 (both G-10 and lightweight) and tried the Manix XL before. The M2 has enough handle for my hand, so I prefer the LW. The XL is too heavy for my EDC. If I wanted a longer blade I'd grab the Military.

If you don't have a physical store nearby, the solution might be to find a vendor w/ good return policy and
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm biased with XXL hands, but for me it isn't even close.

XL.

Pros:

Vastly superior grip security with the pinky hook.

More cutting edge.

More versatile. The extra blade length and mass let it do light chopping through foliage better, for example. Better for food prep. Etc.

Mini manix pros:

More aftermarket scales to choose from

Wider selection of sprints

Lighter in the pocket.

They're both big, bulky knives in the pocket. Both are about the same width closed, which is why they're pocket hogs. They're not super thick in the handle or super long, just wide when closed.

To me the mini manix is just too big and bulky in the pocket for how little cutting edge it offers. A chief or Endura has more cutting edge and feels much lighter and more compact in my pocket. If I'm going to carry a tank of a knife I want a full sized handle and blade. I'd rather carry a delica if I wanted a small blade, it carries worlds better. If I wanted something stouter a PM2 fits the bill.

The mini manix isn't the same experience IMO. full sized version has better grip security, more versatile blade length and shape, etc. Mini version has no pinky hook and using it for hard draw cuts gripped behind the choil my pinky always feels close to slipping off the end of the handle.
:unicorn
Danke

Post by Danke »

Neither. The Cru-carta Manixs are the the ones to look at.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bemo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 pm
I think it comes down to hand size. I have medium to medium small hands. While I've never held the XL it has no appeal to me and the regular sized one is perfect. Vivi, Giant, some others think the regular sized is actually mini-sized.
I mostly refer to it as the mini manix as a joke these days, but back in the day the current regular was marketed as the mini.

the c95 lockback manix was just the manix. then they shrunk it down and came out with what came to be known as the mini manix lockback.

maybe due to changing trends in the knife world, i.e. less overbuilt strider / medford styles and more slim & trim bugout style knives....maybe a completely different reason.....but they referred to the mini manix as the regular, and the manix as the XL with gen 2.

It'd be like if they named the Military 2 the Military XL, and the Para 2 the Military.

I became a fan of the series with the original c95, so I referred to them by their original size out of habit.

over the years it's just become a joke to me, and I use the terms to poke fun at people requesting a mini manix - because the pedant in me likes pointing out the mini manix has been around since the first generation ;)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mini+manix&ia ... &ia=images
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

akapennypincher wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:54 pm
Why would you choose one over the other. XL seem really big, so I personally leaning toward small version.

I have both. The XL is well proportioned and comfortable, but I never fell in love with it. It has a lot of added bulk for a little bit more edge. If more edge is your goal, I think the Stretch 2 XL or the Police 4 give you more bang for the buck.

The standard Manix 2 gives you a fair amount of edge in a modestly sized package. It would be my choice.

Interestingly the amount of "usable handle" on the Manix 2 and the XL are identical. Check out the attached image of a standard sitting atop an XL.

IMG_3595.jpeg
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:01 pm
If I'm going to carry a tank of a knife I want a full sized handle and blade.

Wonder if Spyderco would ever consider "Bodacious-ize-ing" the Manixes, deleting the choil, and bringing the edge right up to the handle...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:56 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Why would you choose one over the other. XL seem really big, so I personally leaning toward small version.

Interestingly the amount of "usable handle" on the Manix 2 and the XL are identical. Check out the attached image of a standard sitting atop an XL. [/color][/font]

IMG_3595.jpeg

Thanks for the pic.

Never owned an XL myself, but this is what I always thought from looking at the two models in question:

The Manix 2 XL does not offer any more actual grip area than the Manix 2 as far as I can see, in fact the more pronounced hook of the XL handle could even restrict how the hand can make use of that grip area (just a guess, I have no experience with a Manix 2 XL)

Now this is nothing against the XL and I am sure for my hand the grip would feel perfectly locked in as it is on the Manix 2. But just a hair shorter and it would be to tight for my L to XL hands (speaking of the Manix 2, but from all I can see it should be the same on the XL)

This makes me wonder how really big hands like Vivis obviously fit so well on that handle... ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

akapennypincher wrote:
One the Fence on two model both are Manix's.

Manix® 2 XL Black G-10 (C95G2)

Manix® 2 Black G-10 (C101G2)

Why would you choose one over the other. XL seem really big, so I personally leaning toward small version. :woozy

I only have (a lot of) experience with the Manix 2 lightweight, but none with the G10 version and none with the XL.

That said some thoughts just from looking at the two models in question, perhaps worth to consider.

- The Manix 2 seems to have a "lower" sitting tip than the XL, which I would prefer in an EDC folder

- While I don´t like deep carry at all the XL looks to have a TOO "high" / "shallow" carry even for my preferences (so I´d probabyl want it to carry a bit deeper, just like the Manix 2 or an Endura for example)

- A bit like Vivi I´d want the plus in cutting edge, in my case not only for the size, but also for the weight - and both are heavy folders in my personal categorization.
So IF I go "heavyweight" anyway, I´d probably want the edge length of the XL for that

- I don´t find the Manix 2 to be a pocket hog though SIZE wise (can´t talk about weight, only have the lightweight) - it actually carries really well imo, clearly better than for example a PM2.
Why? It is pretty short, and while perhaps a bit wider the overall shape does not let one feel that much (pretty narrow butt end, perfect curve of the back to let the hand slip by)

- Now:; I DON`T say get both ......... of the two you mentioned :winking-tongue
BUT:

I´d say get the XL and the Manix 2 LW in the "base" BD1N version. :beaming-face

That way you´ll have a "heavyweight" with a good amount of cutting edge, and a light, not too expensive Manix for easy EDC carry... ;I
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:01 pm
If I'm going to carry a tank of a knife I want a full sized handle and blade.

Wonder if Spyderco would ever consider "Bodacious-ize-ing" the Manixes, deleting the choil, and bringing the edge right up to the handle...
I've been beating that drum for a few years now. Doubt this idea ever sees the light of day, but boy would I be a happy camper.

Drew that 3 years and a week ago it looks like.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RustyIron wrote:
Interestingly the amount of "usable handle" on the Manix 2 and the XL are identical. Check out the attached image of a standard sitting atop an XL. [/color][/font]

IMG_3595.jpeg

But look at the rear ends and imagine using each knife for heavy draw cuts gripped behind the choil. YMMV but when I briefly owned the original clear cage Manix 2, then later a Manix 2 LW, it always felt like my hand was about to slip off the rear end. And, sometimes it did.

Which in a way is odd because something like the Pacific Salt or Police dom't have a strong flare at the end of the handle, but I never experienced that issue with them as much. Even my wood scaled Police 4.

Who knows. I have a weird grip I guess.

In the end they're both good models and they both have their pros and cons. Can't really go wrong with either. I stated why I prefer the XL but different folks have different preferences and all.

I like wartsteins suggestion of an XL and a LW.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:06 am
RustyIron wrote:
But look at the rear ends and imagine using each knife for heavy draw cuts gripped behind the choil. YMMV but when I briefly owned the original clear cage Manix 2, then later a Manix 2 LW, it always felt like my hand was about to slip off the rear end. And, sometimes it did.

Which in a way is odd because something like the Pacific Salt or Police dom't have a strong flare at the end of the handle, but I never experienced that issue with them as much. Even my wood scaled Police 4.

Who knows. I have a weird grip I guess.

Yes, but I am really curious how your big hand even fits on that grip area behind the choil... as said above, my smaller (L to XL) hand just so fits the Manix 2 handle, any larger (my hand) and the grip area would be too short - now since the XL seems to not offer a plus here I just can´t see how this works out for you (not doubting you of course, just curious).