Question for Sal, Crew, or Forumites

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dodge

Question for Sal, Crew, or Forumites

Post by Dodge »

Is it possible that Spyderco had a second that was marked for a CC member?

I’ve had a saved search on eBay to try to snag a Maddox for about 6 years now. I was able to snag one this past week. It needed some cleaning and a few swipes on the ol sharpmaker. I noticed the tell tale second notch when cleaning it! Tell me it’s not true!!
Attachments
424259A5-75A6-49EC-87A2-8A92482B8A16.jpeg
E35DCA60-65EE-4D90-A152-24E7A8AA26BC.jpeg
Last edited by Dodge on Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Manixguy@1994

Re: Question for Sal and crew, or the older Forumites

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I gifted my Mom a Maddox years ago which I thought she would like . She still preferred an Ulu she had used for years . After she passed away I got it back but just couldn’t keep it . Mine did not have the notch . Very unique cutting tool . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Jim Malone

Re: Question for Sal, Crew, or Forumites

Post by Jim Malone »

I think Quality control only works after all steps have been taken so i think a cc can fail final inspection.
Even beeing a second i can't really anything wrong with it. Maybe they dropped it or hit it in the kitchen making a dent?
If you don't mind, didn't overpay and it works why bother? The only thing it will influence is resale value. The thing will get scratched and dented if you start to use it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The first photo is not entirely clear enough to tell but at a glance it does not appear to be a normal seconds notch. To me it looks more like a blemish from being used.

Also, congrats on finding the Maddox! There was a shop in Boston that I would visit and he had a Maddox that I was never able to haggle him down low enough. He eventually renovated his shop and removed the knives. I left my name, email, and phone number with him in case he ever decides to sell. I even still stop by occasionally to pester him about it. :rofl
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The "seconds" mark has been shrinking for years, so while that doesn't look like anything I've seen, my seconds experience doesn't go back to when the Maddox was in production. I thought knives passed final QC before being numbered for the Collectors Club, but again, my experience doesn't date back that far.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I kind of thought that if someone received the knife and returned it, it was marked as a second. I think a CC could return a knife.

I'm not 100% sure on the process.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If it was returned, it would be marked and resold as a second, CC number or not. I just can't tell from the picture whether that is a ground notch or an impact dent.