MicroJimbo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: MicroJimbo?

Post by abbazaba »

Seems like an instant classic if they nailed the bushing. Hoping to see some exclusives/sprints soon!
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

I'm interested in this one but the ergos are a gamble. It could be awesome but I won't know until I get it in hand.

The real question for me is how it stacks up against the Wharncliffe Dragonfly. That's one where I didn't expect it to fit my hand well but it does. In fact, the Wharncliffe Dragonfly has become my EDC MVP. I have two and one permanently lives in the pocket of my favorite jacket.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

We have two MicroJimbo threads going concurrently. I don't want folks to miss Mr. Janich's response in the other thread, so I'm reposting it here:

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:04 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:25 pm
Where is the index finger supposed to locate, on a MicroJimbo? ... How does Mr. Janich hold it for its intended purpose, index forward (A) or index back (B)?

Dear Bolster:

For my purposes, typically B. If I'm using the knife for detail work, I typically choke up and put my index finger on the back of the blade.

I purposely made a but of a paradigm shift in the design of the MicroJimbo by incorporating a shorter handle and a deep-pocket clip. To be completely honest, if I'm only concerned about blade-length restrictions (like when I travel to Chicago and Boston), I carry a ChicagoJimbo--a full-sized Yojimbo with a bobbed blade. These are reminiscent of the blade-to-handle ratio of the original Yojimbo and the Kahr Arms Delica; however, many people who can't relate to or don't care about blade-length restrictions don't "get" this approach. As such, it's a very limited audience.

For the MicroJimbo, I achieved the target 2.5-inch blade length, but also shortened the handle and added the deep-pocket clip and a full-flat grind. I did that for several reasons:

Critics of the Yojimbo 2 (most of whom have never owned or handled one) claim the hollow grind makes the tip too fragile. The flat grind addresses that.
Some people insist that deep-pocket carry clips are a necessity. In reality, it's a balance of knife size, hand size, and clip position, as I've explained before on this forum and in the byte newsletter. The Micro's deep-pocket clip works--because of the smaller handle size.
I have a growing number of female MBC students. The Yojimbo 2 won't fit in the pockets of typical ladies' pants, but the smaller handle of the MicroJimbo will. In fact, some of the ladies at Spyderco have already embraced this and become MicroJimbo converts.

With all that said, I know the MicroJimbo's handle doesn't offer much of a home to your pinky. Neither do my .380 and pocket-sized 9mm pistols or my J-frame revolvers with concealable grips.

Life is a balance of priorities and compromises... Fortunately, Spyderco has given me the opportunity to offer a range of choices as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you, Bolster, for sharping my post on the other thread here.

The best I can do is explain my logic. If it suits your personal needs, great. If not, Spyderco has other knife options that likely will.

For me the greatest MicroJimbo "win" happened a couple of days ago. I was walking through the office and one of my female co-workers stopped me to show off her new Micro. She was thrilled that it fit perfectly in her pocket and that the ergos worked well with her hand. She's an aspiring MBCer, but the Yojimbo 2 just wasn't a good fit because it was too large. It's only one data point, but a very good one.

Stay safe,

Mike
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Jimbo family has 3 folders but there really should be 4 to cover various blade length legal restrictions.

YoJimbo2: 3.2”
YoJumbo: 3.98”
MicroJimbo: 2.45”

YoJumbo covers jurisdictions with 4” limits and MicroJimbo covers jurisdictions with 2.5” limits.

YoJimbo2 is neither here or there. If instead it had a 3.49” blade length it would still cover areas with 3.5” limit. Then, there could be another Jimbo with a 2.99” blade length to cover areas with 3” limit.

MicroJimbo: 2.45”
MiniJimbo: 2.99”
YoJimbo3: 3.49”
YoJumbo: 3.98”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
phaust

Post by phaust »

^Adding to that list, outside the US are places with a 60mm (~2.36") limit. The Micro is just over. I was really hoping it'd serve as a Dragonfly replacement for me abroad since a Yo2 is my normal carry.

It'll work well for federal government buildings though.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Ramzar:

For the record, the 3.2-inch length on the Yojimbo 2 was a result of my designing the handle length to be comparable to that of a closed Delica. I have been back-pocket carrying knives for 50 years--since before Sal invented clip carry. If I am in an environment that frowns on visible clips, I'll drop my primary knife into my back pocket (swapping it for the Delica that lives there) and switch to a handle-drop opening. With a handle that fit my hand and my pocket, the blade length ended up being 3.2 inches, which is still under the Colorado 3.5-inch limit.

I understand and respect the desire for a sub-3-inch, but I'm not sure that demand would justify another model. For serious defensive use, I already bob Yo 2s to 2.5 inches to make "ChicagoJimbos." Grinding them to 3 inches is even easier... We just need to find a cool name to go with it...

Stay safe,

Mike
2002WRX

Post by 2002WRX »

I want to check one out and see how it fits my wife’s hands and how it fits in with her clothing. She’s only 5 ft tall and 95 lbs.
Normal is a setting on the dryer.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

TroisJimbo? No??
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Need photo of ChicagoJimbo...goodness, how does one grind that much steel and keep the temper?

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:02 am
Dear Ramzar:

For the record, the 3.2-inch length on the Yojimbo 2 was a result of my designing the handle length to be comparable to that of a closed Delica. I have been back-pocket carrying knives for 50 years--since before Sal invented clip carry. If I am in an environment that frowns on visible clips, I'll drop my primary knife into my back pocket (swapping it for the Delica that lives there) and switch to a handle-drop opening. With a handle that fit my hand and my pocket, the blade length ended up being 3.2 inches, which is still under the Colorado 3.5-inch limit.

I understand and respect the desire for a sub-3-inch, but I'm not sure that demand would justify another model. For serious defensive use, I already bob Yo 2s to 2.5 inches to make "ChicagoJimbos." Grinding them to 3 inches is even easier... We just need to find a cool name to go with it...

Stay safe,

Mike

LaJimbo (Los Angeles Jimbo) for the one with a 2.99” blade length and same handle length as YoJimbo2.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:42 pm
Need photo of ChicagoJimbo...goodness, how does one grind that much steel and keep the temper?

Grind a little, dip in water a lot, drink a little (not the dipping water, something more enjoyable)... I also leave a "tab" of steel at the tip as a heat sink when I hog off the majority of the steel from the spine. Once I'm down to the desired shape, I grind off the tab very gradually to avoid overheating.

Stay safe,

Mike
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 2002WRX,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:07 pm
Grind a little, dip in water a lot, drink a little (not the dipping water, something more enjoyable)... I also leave a "tab" of steel at the tip as a heat sink when I hog off the majority of the steel from the spine. Once I'm down to the desired shape, I grind off the tab very gradually to avoid overheating.

Stay safe,

Mike
I was starting to question my knife modding habits, but now I know I've been doing it right all along.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I must say, I’m really enjoying carrying this so far. I predominantly wear khaki or athleisure shorts so I trend towards smaller knives and handles, which is why the Yo2 never worked for me. This has been in mesh shorts all morning without knowing it was there.
2002WRX

Post by 2002WRX »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:33 pm
Hi 2002WRX,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you Sir!
Normal is a setting on the dryer.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

This knife deserves a trainer! Given the Yojimbo lineage. Spyderco please run it! After you produce Yo2 trainers again... and release a Yojumbo trainer.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:49 pm
LaJimbo (Los Angeles Jimbo) for the one with a 2.99” blade length and same handle length as YoJimbo2.

Substitute the original Yojimbo? I think it had 2.9" of blade.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:40 pm
RamZar wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:49 pm

Substitute the original Yojimbo? I think it had 2.9" of blade.

Thanks.

The original Yojimbo from 2004-2006 did indeed have a Blade Length of 2.875" (spec based on the Spyderco website). It’ll probably be tough to track one down at a reasonable price.

https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C85_Yojimbo

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:21 pm
The original Yojimbo from 2004-2006 did indeed have a Blade Length of 2.875" (spec based on the Spyderco website). It’ll probably be tough to track one down at a reasonable price.

Would you believe, Yo 1 Smurf Killers were remaindered through Sierra Trading Post for $99? Aaarrrgghhh!! The page is still up at STP...! http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product~p~75069/
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 8.24.31 PM.png