MicroJimbo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Re: MicroJimbo?

Post by mikey177 »

When someone makes Smurf blue aftermarket scales for the Microjimbo that are shaped like the Yo1 scales, I'd buy those and call it a day :)
ajl808

Post by ajl808 »

Can’t wait to hear more reviews
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Microjimbo arrived this afternoon. In hand photo for those like me with typical Asian male sized hands.
microjimbo_in_hand.jpg
ajl808

Post by ajl808 »

Confirmed. This one fits perfect in hand. Janich/Team Spyderco knocked another one out of the park!
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Were the initial allotments limited?

Looking to scoop both flavors and in no rush but just curious as it appears OOS in my regular spots.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:02 pm
Were the initial allotments limited?

Looking to scoop both flavors and in no rush but just curious as it appears OOS in my regular spots.
Spyderco normally releases in small batches to start as sort of test runs
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Very nice, keep the pictures coming please! Really looking forward to this one, hopefully in a tool steel. Lets REXify it!
ajl808

Post by ajl808 »

samsudds

Post by samsudds »

Finally! Better late than never😎
Attachments
IMG_8158.png
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:02 am
If I am in an environment that frowns on visible clips, I'll drop my primary knife into my back pocket (swapping it for the Delica that lives there) and switch to a handle-drop opening.
I just tried your scenario and it works great! Excellent tidbit. The handle drop opening works very smoothly and I notice the pinch grip has the most reliable smooth-exit from my pocket. I heard Massad say he liked gravity drop because "Pinch and Wrist Flick" was a less-fine motor movement than something like a thumb flick or middle finger flick, and therefore more reliable under pressure. Normally Im a thumb flicker, but see how this fits nicely in the greater bag of tricks.
Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:02 am
I already bob Yo 2s to 2.5 inches to make "ChicagoJimbos." Grinding them to 3 inches is even easier... We just need to find a cool name to go with it...
I submit "WokeJimbo". Just kidding. But its funny and conveys the point. ;)

Also, when you mentioned grinding down a knife, you said "leave a tab as the heat sink for roughing, then carefully remove at the end as not to overheat". I dont quite understand what you mean by Tab. Could you elaborate? or have a pic mid-project? Thanks!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Spyderwebs:

Historically, the handle drop was a "go-to" opening in Spyderco's early days, when all models were tip down. The disadvantage of it is that it reduces the contact surface of the hand to the thumb and index finger and, on longer knives, requires a bit of repositioning of the hand after the opening. It's still a great option, though, and one of the advantages of the Trademark Round Hole over thumb studs and disks.

"WokeJimbo?" No. Being legally compliant to bolster your claim to lawful self-defense is responsible, not "woke." For the "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" crowd, feel free to test that theory.

As far as understanding the "tab" when I bob a blade, imagine grinding the desired taper of the spine, but stopping short of the point by about 1/4 inch. As you grind, the taper of the spine becomes more and more pronounced, but the tip becomes a bit of as unicorn horn to better tolerate heat. Once you get the shape of the spine where you want it, you carefully grind off the horn, cooling frequently, until it meets the line of the spine and completes the shortening if the blade.

I'll have to see if I have any photos of the grinding process midway.

Stay safe,

Mike
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Anyone else wish there was a version with a satin blade with the blacked out hardware? Generally prefer non coated blades but love the blacked out hardware!

I know the clips can be ordered from the factory store.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:07 am
Mike
Thank you very much for the clarification Mike. I'm going to first practice on a kitchen knife that got de-tipped, then maybe on the Centofante 3 if I feel good about my grind to remove .16" to get it LA county legal. Sorry for the bad joke. A desire for compliance was actually underlying the bad humor. It was mostly meant as an expression of frustration with arbitrary length laws.
Thanks again for the info!
thojan

Post by thojan »

Mike, why not use S45VN in the microjimbo? I am really impressed by that steel in my Para3, I would imagine that its properties would fit the MicroJimbo as well.
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A couple of comparison shots…
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

thojan wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm
Mike, why not use S45VN in the microjimbo? I am really impressed by that steel in my Para3, I would imagine that its properties would fit the MicroJimbo as well.
Spyderco is very good at working with CPM S30V, so it tends to be a go-to choice for new models. Even the Military 2 is S30V. Perhaps in the future both models will be considered for other steels.

Stay safe,

Mike
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Generally speaking, little differentiates between S30V, S35VN, S45VN and SPY27 in terms of Toughness, Edge Retention and Corrosion Resistance but they’re all better than VG-10 and BD1N.

See the chart and graph below from Larrin: Knife Steel Nerds.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
destroid

Post by destroid »

Thanks for the comparison photos RadioactiveSpyder
Blew it up on the tablet to 1:1 and verified I can get a four finger grip.

Now just waiting on the black blade version ...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The just released issue of Spyderco byte newsletter has a lot of information about the MicroJimbo, Michael Janich and the other members of his family of self defense knives.

https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... 963d2ec1ef

https://youtu.be/FkNNHOUdGjA
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:07 am
For the "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" crowd, feel free to test that theory.

Stay safe,

Mike
Believe me, I know this first hand. Mr Janich is 100% correct. If you use a knife in self defense, you had better be in your home, otherwise they are going to convict you no matter what you say.

I think that I am going to pick one of these up.

It looks neat and if I ever go to Chicago I'll take it with me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/