New Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you could choose a new blade type to put on a Dragonfly, what would you choose?

Recurve
3%
Harpoon
15%
Tanto
8%
Harpoon Tanto
3%
American Tanto
2%
Recurve S (like a Civilian)
38%
Big belly skinner
13%
Other
17%

Total votes: 60

JoviAl

New Dragonfly

Post by JoviAl »

Hi all,
I’ve come to the realisation that the humble Dragonfly is one of my all time favourite Spyderco designs. Apart from sprints and exclusives I’ve developed a real hankering for some interesting blade shapes. If you could design a new blade in a Dragonfly what would you go for and why (shape, steel, etc)?

I look forward to hearing what the community comes up with!

Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Re: New Dragonfly

Post by Wartstein »

Sorry, not a really a totally new blade shape... but I'd really like a wharnie (and SE for me) in H1/H2, and the pretty high sabre grind those steels offer in the DFly (apperantly higher than in other H1 Salts).

I think an H2 wharnie SE Dfly could very well end up living permanently as a backup in my mountaineering/outdoor packs.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:01 am
Sorry, not a really a totally new blade shape... but I'd really like a wharnie (and SE for me) in H1/H2, and the pretty high sabre grind those steels offer in the DFly (apperantly higher than in other H1 Salts).

I think an H2 wharnie SE Dfly could very well end up living permanently as a backup in my mountaineering/outdoor packs.
Good call ☝🏻

I’m eyeing up the Hawkbill H1 SE Dragonfly for that exact purpose myself.
- Al

Dream knives -
jdw

Post by jdw »

A reverse S Dragonfly for me. The cutting power in a blade that small would be pretty cool. It would kind of be an even smaller lil Matriarch.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm with jdw, the reverse recurve would be great. I'm thinking Cricket blade-ish like some renderings we say a couple years back. Honestly I still think the Wharnie blade is the best in this small package.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Dodofly!!!
•• Beau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:11 am
Dodofly!!!
i was going to say the same thing!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84079&hilit=dodofly
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

For me, this size of knife is just great for opening letters and parcels or general pocket carry to sharpen pencils. My very favourite one for those duties is the Q-Ball. It just missed out on my Top 5 but it's an easy 6 because I love the quirky appeal of the white ceramic ball lock in the two models I have with it. So, as you've probably already guessed, I would go with the wharncliffe blade for this one.

I had the green G-10 Dragonfly two times before. It's years ago now but I'm sure I sold one and traded the other. There are a few I'd like to get (again) to add to my rotation, and the Dragonfly is definitely up there. A flashy new model would make me pull the pin, for sure.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I'd like a reverse tanto or a sheepsfoot blade. Reverse tanto is basically just a more aesthetic version of wharncliffe that would be slimmer in the pocket. I also find the sheepsfoot blade on the Caribbean really convenient for a lot of things but it's massive, so a smaller sheepsfoot would have a lot of utility for me.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Salty reverse S!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oh, serrated, of course.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Other for me...

Jesterfly!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Dragonflies are so 2015. Isn’t the Chaparral so much better aside from the price? Better grip, better blade, slightly better steel than the base model Dragonfly.

I’d like to see Spyderco get the Chaparral LW price down to the point that we can start handing them out to non knife people like we used to do with Dragonflies.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:11 pm
Dragonflies are so 2015. Isn’t the Chaparral so much better aside from the price? Better grip, better blade, slightly better steel than the base model Dragonfly.

I’d like to see Spyderco get the Chaparral LW price down to the point that we can start handing them out to non knife people like we used to do with Dragonflies.
Each to their own 🤷🏼‍♂️ I would (and do) take a Dragonfly over a Chapparal any day of the week.
- Al

Dream knives -
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

zhyla wrote:

1. Some people like one-piece, linerless frn. It's really awesome on my Goddard.
2. DFly is nearly an ounce lighter than a LW Chaparral.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like the standard blade shape quite well. I’m not sure the handle is very well suited for thrusting like a tanto, but it would be cute.

Anyway, I’d rather have more cool color and steel options than a new blade shape.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:

I am probably known to be a big fan of the Chap (the perfect folder for me in the "very small size range"), but the DFly just is a different knife in a different "niche" from all I can see.

- The Chap to me is (in its size range and for how thin it is!) an extremely solidly built, pretty heavy duty cutter - which comes with a comparably high weight, as Mr. Whiskerz pointed out already.
The Dfly though is probably as light as possible with its linerless FRN - just a bit more than HALF the weight (62%) of the Chap FRN

- And yes, in closed length they are not too far apart and the Chap relatively and absolutely seen does a much better job in blade to handle ration (Dfly having 93% of the Chap closed length, but only 81 % of its blade length) - but I think in the overall footprint the DFly is a clearly smaller package (though the Chap is probably a bit thinner)

- So these facts combined mean to me: While the Chap to me almost is a full sized small knife, the Dfly should be more of a superlight option for the occasional smaller cutting tasks or as a superlight and small "throw it in a pack and forget it till you need it" backup.

(To be clear: I don´t have a Dfly - as said, this would change if they made an H1 (sabre hollow grind) wharnie SE...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:12 pm
zhyla wrote:

I am probably known to be a big fan of the Chap (the perfect folder for me in the "very small size range"), but the DFly just is a different knife in a different "niche" from all I can see.

- The Chap to me is (in its size range and for how thin it is!) an extremely solidly built, pretty heavy duty cutter - which comes with a comparably high weight, as Mr. Whiskerz pointed out already.
The Dfly though is probably as light as possible with its linerless FRN - just a bit more than HALF the weight (62%) of the Chap FRN

- And yes, in closed length they are not too far apart and the Chap relatively and absolutely seen does a much better job in blade to handle ration (Dfly having 93% of the Chap closed length, but only 81 % of its blade length) - but I think in the overall footprint the DFly is a clearly smaller package (though the Chap is probably a bit thinner)

- So these facts combined mean to me: While the Chap to me almost is a full sized small knife, the Dfly should be more of a superlight option for the occasional smaller cutting tasks or as a superlight and small "throw it in a pack and forget it till you need it" backup.

(To be clear: I don´t have a Dfly - as said, this would change if they made an H1 (sabre hollow grind) wharnie SE...)
I’m surprised you don’t already have a Dragonfly Gernot! That’s your next birthday gift sorted 🥳
- Al

Dream knives -
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

I voted for the big belly skinner as I wanted to pick amongst the choices.
But the one I am really waited for is a green FFG salt, preferably wharncliff.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Dodofly! Almost four years and a half years of waiting. It's got to happen eventually.

I'll take two at least.