The more I carry and use the UKPK the more I like it

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

The more I carry and use the UKPK the more I like it

Post by elena86 »

There is no secret that my all time fav city pocket knife is the wonderful K390 Urban. I brought the LW S110V UKPK with me a few years ago in a pilgrimage to Israel and it served me well but it collected dust in a drawer ever since. The recent events reminded me about my little dark blue companion and I decided to give it another chance. Once again I realized that the UKPK has, by far, the best ergos from all the spydercos I own and that says a lot given that most spydies shine when it comes to ergos. When I hold and use it, I just feel that it was designed for the (average) human hand. It just puts a smile on my face. After a few days I grabbed the red drop point G10 Heinnie Heynes exclusive in S30V and all I could feel was gratitude and proud of ownership. The guys from Golden did a great job with this one. Awesome fit and finish and splendid walk and talk. The fact that the G10 UKPK sports washers and a full lenght back spring is a huge plus for sure. What can I say, the little sucker reigns supreme over my pocket these days. I am glad that these slipits are getting more traction because they fully deserve it. These are not just pretty faces, they are capable users. Once again, Sal was a visionary. Next in line : the cobalt blue SPY27 variant. This one has Sal written all over it !

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Roefisher

Re: The more I carry and use the UKPK the more I like it

Post by Roefisher »

I have the original drop-point HH penknife and it's easily my favourite ever slipjoint. From my first ever knife, a James Barber ERA slippie, this model just takes the whole design idea of a non-locking folder to another level.

They're wonderful knives.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I 100% agree. I really like the LW models. They're so light you can barely feel them.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I couldn’t agree more!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Marius, we both agree on both the Urban K390 and the UKPK. The UKPK is my most carried knife anymore. I prefer the needle pointed leaf blade. The knife just melds into the hand, almost becoming part of it. I have the BD1N and the S110V. When and if the exchange rate ever gets better I plan on a Magnacut version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cjk

Post by cjk »

I love the UKPK, particularly the leaf bladed G-10 Heinie Haynes one. The lightweight ones are great as well and weigh next to nothing. I have really been looking forward to the Magnacut salt ones and hope they arrive soon.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The HH UKPK is a helluva knife!

I agree about the ergos - one of the best in hand, and the ergos really assist in making the blade feel like it is securely held in place, accidental closure is next to impossible chocked up.

The FRN version is barely noticeable hanging on your pocket - it must be the lightest of all the 3” Spydercos by some margin. One of the best take (almost) anywhere light duty folding knives in my opinion.

There’s currently only one slip joint penknife that competes for pocket time and that’s the amazing QSP hedgehog, but that’s a different beast altogether.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I carry my S110V, clip less, in a small leather from LynchNW. The most comfortable and useful knife a carry daily.

The one thing that gets me is every time I lend it to someone, they struggle to find the lock… 🤷‍♂️

🙃
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Flash

Post by Flash »

we really need more full length back spring, G-10 models. Only being able to buy them as an (now discontinued) exclusive from HH is a crying shame.

The S30V, G-10, 4-pin full length back spring and pb washers transform the humble UKPK into more than the sum of its parts. They make it one of the best modern Slipjoints money can buy.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Flash wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:08 pm
we really need more full length back spring, G-10 models. Only being able to buy them as an (now discontinued) exclusive from HH is a crying shame.
Is it confirmed they'll never re-issue a HH version?

Thanks
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Flash wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:08 pm

The S30V, G-10, 4-pin full length back spring and pb washers transform the humble UKPK into more than the sum of its parts. They make it one of the best modern Slipjoints money can buy.

I kept wanting to grab a Delica because of all the amazing options and variants. I wanted a smaller Spydie to have as an option. I was lucky enough to find this exclusive "used" at a dealer 30 minutes from me. It has destroyed my Delica want. My hands don't fully agree with the Delica, but this thing melts in the hand. I agree, we need more G10 options. And more pics!

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Whenever I see a thread about the UKPK I always mean to post this site that does beautifully executed aftermarket scales and parts but can never remember the name. Today my brain is finally playing ball, as I’ve just now remembered what the site was called - https://www.vpcreations.co.uk/

I’ve bought scales for a couple of knives from them that turned out to be so nice I gave them (fitted to the knives) to good friends as gifts. I had a particularly beautiful maroon/red wine micarta dragonfly handle that I fitted and gifted to my wife (that someone promptly stole last summer). Now she’s nicked my K390 Wharncliffe dragonfly 😱

Anyway, I digress. If you are wanting to elevate your 3 or 4 pin UKPK I can heartily recommend that site for scales and parts - the tolerances are tight and the finish is good on everything I’ve had from them. I’m keeping my eyes open for some brass scales for when my pre-order Magnacut UKPK *eventually* turns up from Knifecentre. Eventually.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got the leaf shape blade version of this knife from the original drop a few years ago. Count me in as the UKPK being an amazing knife, for a great price!

Top 3 for me with ergos. Melts right into my hand. Thin blade, light weight and narrow knife. One of the few I like the wire clip on.

I hate when people say "I won't get one because it doesn't have a lock" Is that because it means it's not fidgety...therefore an inferior knife too a lot of people?? If it's for safety reasons, there's no need for that! That half stop is pretty strong, plus the knife is designed to utilize the finger choil, which prevents its from closing while in use. I've used mine many times in the warehouse over the years, never once had an issue.

Glad to see some love for such great knife, that doesn't get enough attention!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

VaporPuffin Ti scales on an LC200N UKPK Salt, and another set awaiting a MagnaCut blade, whenever that happens.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:50 pm
I kept wanting to grab a Delica because of all the amazing options and variants. I wanted a smaller Spydie to have as an option. I was lucky enough to find this exclusive "used" at a dealer 30 minutes from me. It has destroyed my Delica want. My hands don't fully agree with the Delica, but this thing melts in the hand. I agree, we need more G10 options. And more pics!
I agree, I like the UKPK much more than the leaf Delica.

I have both HH G10 versions. 👍 Somehow I still carry the S110V LW more often. It is *almost* a salt and excels as a knife to carry in waistband. Small and light and thin but still a full size. Love the thin blade.

Pictures? I have a few…

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only version I have is the UKPK Salt SE. It's one of my favorite knives.

Jim
Nate

Post by Nate »

My top three most carried knives are the Chaparral, Urban, and UKPK… but really the UKPK has run away with it by a large margin. Have at least half a dozen and have gifted away several more.

The plain edge LC200N Salt has hardly left my side since I got it. Darn near edc perfection for me.
:spyder:
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:26 pm
I've got the leaf shape blade version of this knife from the original drop a few years ago. Count me in as the UKPK being an amazing knife, for a great price!

Top 3 for me with ergos. Melts right into my hand. Thin blade, light weight and narrow knife. One of the few I like the wire clip on.

I hate when people say "I won't get one because it doesn't have a lock" Is that because it means it's not fidgety...therefore an inferior knife too a lot of people?? If it's for safety reasons, there's no need for that! That half stop is pretty strong, plus the knife is designed to utilize the finger choil, which prevents its from closing while in use. I've used mine many times in the warehouse over the years, never once had an issue.

I’m certainly one of those people who won’t get a ukpk because the lack of lock, if the alternative with a lock didn’t exist I’d probably get one. But to say a lock doesn’t add any extra function of safety and security especially when it comes to some tougher use cuts is plain wrong, locking folders are valued for good reason. The knife is great but it’s being restricted around a ridiculous law that thankfully I don’t have to deal with.
:bug-red-white
R100

Post by R100 »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:14 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:26 pm

I’m certainly one of those people who won’t get a ukpk because the lack of lock, if the alternative with a lock didn’t exist I’d probably get one. But to say a lock doesn’t add any extra function of safety and security especially when it comes to some tougher use cuts is plain wrong, locking folders are valued for good reason. The knife is great but it’s being restricted around a ridiculous law that thankfully I don’t have to deal with.
Well I like locks as much as the next person but the UKPK is outstanding. True it doesn't lock but it is rock solid compared with the Calypso line. I have a Caly 3.5 and it's good in some ways but the lock rock is ridiculous and makes it feel flimsy and unsafe even though it probably isn't. The UKPK, particularly the G10 HH models I have, feels like a fixed blade in comparison when putting some weight into a cut. In the closing direction, the combination of choil and decent spring makes it totally safe. I'd love it if a Caly was made with a solid lock but until then the UKPK is a clear winner for me.

Dan
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

No lock on the UKPK is a non-issue for me. I don't use them any differently than I do models with a lock. UKPK is one of my favorite models. The simplicity and light weight are big pluses for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!