Maxamet Sage 5 LW Discussions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unbrokenchain33

Maxamet Sage 5 LW Discussions

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

I just wanted to start a discussion on the just announced Maxamet Sage 5 LW.

My thoughts: I’m a huge fan of the Sage series with the Sage 5 being my favorite due to the compression lock. This version upgrades the steel from S30V to Maxamet and has dark gray scales as opposed to the black. I personally would have loved to see a different handle material or different color. Perhaps a Salt version like many of the other new releases. That would be an insta-buy for me. However, I’m not sure I can justify the $80 up charge for the Maxamet version.

What are your thoughts?
IMG_8836.jpeg
Bemo

Re: Maxamet Sage 5 LW Discussions

Post by Bemo »

Have you tried Maxamet? I think every steel enthusiast should try it once.
Guts

Post by Guts »

I'm just glad the Sage 5 is getting more love with a new model. I'll probably end up getting one of these as well since I love the Sage 5 and own all the other Maxamet models currently. Maxamet cuts forever.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I had expected a new Sage lock to be introduced...but it's a new-to-Sage 5 steel instead. If it were the only new reveal that I liked, it would be an instant buy. But now there is a MagnaManix and a MagnaChief and a Ceramic Mule standing in line ahead of it!
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

It's not exactly new to the Sage line, it is new on the Sage 5 platform. I have the Sage 1 in Maxamet and its amazing. I'm confident the Sage 5 will be equally amazing. I won't be in a hurry to pick it up. But if there was ever a Sage 5 that deserved some really nice aftermarket scales, it would be this one. Desert Ironwood comes to mind.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:46 pm
Its funny, Maxamet has so many down sides. After all its hard to sharpen, rusts, chips, etc. Not to mention these high edge retention steels seem to be slowly losing favor for tough steels like 4V / Cruwear that are easy to sharpen and can take on anything you throw at them, with a quick edge touch up that is.

In practice thought I love Maxamet, it is my new favorite steel. I currently own a Native 5 LW and Para 3 G10 in Maxamet and they are two of my most carried EDC knives. Best part, months later, I have not needed to sharpen them at all, not a touch up nothing, and they are still as sharp as day one. I am not hard on my day-to-day EDC knives but last week I used my Para 3 to shave down a pressure treated 4"x4" mailbox post with no issues. In comparison my PM2 Cruwear with the same amount of use has needed to be touched up and sharpened 3 or 4 times already, not that I don't like the steel a lot and would take it in a second over Maxamet for yard work or camping but there is a difference.

The FRN gray is decent, but I love the dark grey G-10 on my Para 3, and the slowly forming patina on the blade looks amazing against that dark grey.

For all the reasons not to like Maxamet, which are strong reasons, this steel is perfect for me for light EDC tasks and not afraid to push it when needed. It is the first steel I can truly say I without question notice a difference.

The new Maxamet Sage 5 LW is a winner in my book, perfect size and type of knife for Maxamet, a gentleman's (or womens) knife. I just don't know if I need a third 3" Maxamet knife.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Unbrokenchain33

Bemo wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:46 pm
Not a complaint of the choice of steel as much as the handle is very similar to the current one.

I will reiterate however, an orange or yellow salt Sage 5 would be my choice knife, especially living in South Florida.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Handled this at BLADE this year and really liked it. My only concern is if I would be able to properly sharpen Maxamet using my Norton med grit stone or my Spyderco Ceramic med grit stone.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks too much like the Chap LW now.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:36 pm
Looks too much like the Chap LW now.
I agree with this. I had to look twice and read the description to make sure I wasn't seeing a Maxamet Chap (which isn't a bad idea either. I mean the steel is already over in Taiwan right?!)

I do think diamond stones or CBN is needed for Maxemet. But even the least expensive diamonds should still work.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

This is my most anticipated release from this round (which is saying a lot because this was one of the best ever for my personal tastes)…it MIGHT be tied with the crucarta millie 2. MIGHT be…

I’ve really been appreciating the maxamet sage 1 recently and the sage 5 lw is the best 3” spyderco ever made, imo. I have a pair of marbled carbon fiber scales that I’ve been saving for a release like this. The marbled carbon fiber scales that one company puts out (I forget their name but they’re the only one) are absolutely phenomenal. It’s basically impossible to improve on perfection but they somehow managed it with tight tolerances and dialed in texturing. And I’m not even a fan of carbon fiber, per se…
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:07 am
The marbled carbon fiber scales that one company puts out (I forget their name but they’re the only one) are absolutely phenomenal. It’s basically impossible to improve on perfection but they somehow managed it with tight tolerances and dialed in texturing. And I’m not even a fan of carbon fiber, per se…
Probably Parsons Bladeworks. I have their smooth titanium scales and the tolerances take out all the blade play on the LW model.
https://parsonsbladeworks.bigcartel.com ... rbon-fiber
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:41 am

Probably Parsons Bladeworks. I have their smooth titanium scales and the tolerances take out all the blade play on the LW model.
https://parsonsbladeworks.bigcartel.com ... rbon-fiber
That’s them…haven’t tried their titanium but I have a few sets of their micarta and carbon fiber scales. Top tier parts…

Titanium seems to do that, in general, when it’s done well. I have a set of titanium scales on one of my lil natives and they brought it to a new level.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Unbrokenchain33

The more I think of this the more I’m going to order day one!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -reg-/2487

Edit: Out of stock for now
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Sweet
MRj “Weak things break!”
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Unbrokenchain,

Thanx for the thread. I just got my production piece so I get to compare notes. Sorry if the color or steel is not what everyone would want, but there are many possibilities, we build what we can, and we build what you want. Just can''t do it all at once.

The Sage Lite weight platform is any easy to use pattern. Maximet is Superman on steroids. Interesting for observation. Some of the blade steels that these foundries are willing to make for us is something to be appreciated. We're a small market as far as specialty steel foundries go. I think this is a "Golden Time" for blade steels.

sal
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

“Golden Time” yes it’s Golden’s Time. Let’s go!!
Thanks Sal. This model is a great one. Thanks for making a maxamet flavor.
MRj “Weak things break!”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:00 pm
Hey Unbrokenchain,

Thanx for the thread. I just got my production piece so I get to compare notes. Sorry if the color or steel is not what everyone would want, but there are many possibilities, we build what we can, and we build what you want. Just can''t do it all at once.

The Sage Lite weight platform is any easy to use pattern. Maximet is Superman on steroids. Interesting for observation. Some of the blade steels that these foundries are willing to make for us is something to be appreciated. We're a small market as far as specialty steel foundries go. I think this is a "Golden Time" for blade steels.

sal

Thanks for this release sir. I am going to purchase at least one. I like the handle color quite alot and I love the platform. I would love to see a LW Sage 5 in SPY27 one day. One can dream.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau