Custom Chaparral LW Micarta Scales!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

Custom Chaparral LW Micarta Scales!

Post by fixall »

RC Bladeworks has been REALLY knocking out some new designs lately! In the past month or so, he's come out with new, inlayed Micarta/G-carta scales for the Delica, the Endura, and the Endela.

Well, he just did it again! This time for the Spyderco Chaparral LW! You can have them made with, or without an inlay... And made out of basically any Micarta/G-carta composite you can possibly imagine!

Notsurewhy

Re: Custom Chaparral LW Micarta Scales!

Post by Notsurewhy »

I like that color combo. Reminds me of a maple telecaster.

I don't usually mod, but I've been wishing for a burgundy linen micarta chaparral for a while... Tempting
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think I saw those on IG. I like the Chaps and I like Micarta but that inlay look does absolutely nothing for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

That’s cool. The Chap LW scales are already pretty cool though.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Anything Micarta is nice, so it looks good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I ordered a set of black linen Micarta scales (no inlay). Very excited to see them come in, I’ve been waiting for someone to offer these for years! I’ll post pics when I receive and install them.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:43 pm
I ordered a set of black linen Micarta scales (no inlay). Very excited to see them come in, I’ve been waiting for someone to offer these for years! I’ll post pics when I receive and install them.
Polished black linen micarta sounds like a delicious combo for the chap. I’m eager to have a look myself
:bug-red-white
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:43 pm
That sounds awesome! Please post pics once you get them swapped out.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:47 pm

Believe it or not, that´s what I thought too...

... now let´s think of some classic Stratocaster combo too - like candy apple red and white inlay! :grin-big eyes

/ I actually still hope that Spyderco will bring out a Micarta Chap themselves (after all the model is meant to display various handle materials) - but this looks like a great option!

The FRN Chap has a pretty much perfect handle material and design already for me (grippy, durable and (for FRN) also classy looking) - but Micarta is my second favorite handle material after FRN, so I am actually tempted to get another FRN Chap and dress it up... at least whenever the SE version comes out (if it ever does..) I´ll have to grab that one anyway immediately.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:27 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:47 pm

Believe it or not, that´s what I thought too...

... now let´s think of some classic Stratocaster combo too - like candy apple red and white inlay! :grin-big eyes

/ I actually still hope that Spyderco will bring out a Micarta Chap themselves (after all the model is meant to display various handle materials) - but this looks like a great option!

The FRN Chap has a pretty much perfect handle material and design already for me (grippy, durable and (for FRN) also classy looking) - but Micarta is my second favorite handle material after FRN, so I am actually tempted to get another FRN Chap and dress it up... at least whenever the SE version comes out (if it ever does..) I´ll have to grab that one anyway immediately.

And here it is... in the new Reveal... :star-struck
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Monty

Post by Monty »

I've never owned a chap but now that there's one in SE a set of these in bone linen would really class it up for a gentlemans carry. I have a SE delica with micarta but vg10 doesn't thrill me, once you add micarta to the overall price it is a bit hard to justify. Decisions decisions.

ETA: I might just grab a sun and moon, do a bladeswap and sell off the extra frankenknife.
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi folks, I have an update on my black linen scale set adventure. I received the scales last week and finally had time yesterday to work on them. They came nicely cut but gray and unfinished, they were downright furry in fact! I spent a good 3 hours sanding them down with 400 and 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper sheets taped to my kitchen counter (I did it dry and routinely cleaned/knocked the dust off both the scales and the sandpaper), and then the edges and chamfers carefully by hand. I did the 400 grit round twice, then the 1000 grit round twice, and then washed them under soap and water. After making sure they were fully dry with a blow dryer, I then loaded green compound onto an old jewelers cloth and buffed the heck out of them, and now they’re super glassy. Another soap/water wash and dry, and I applied two coats of beeswax, cleaning and buffing them after each coat. I’m very pleased with how they came out! They’re not perfectly jet black of course, but it’s crazy the color change from the original - you get a hint of that in the first pic here where the milled out area on the inside is still that original gray color. The second pic is after I applied the beeswax.

Now came the fun of installing them! That’s when things went awry a bit and I realized that Spyderco moved the lanyard barrel position in a CQI move at some point! In fact it came after the maple Chap was originally released and before the Sun and Moon version. My FRN Chap, the one I planned to use for the swap, is my original CC one, and they’ve since rolled that change through the FRN model as well. That makes the lanyard barrel and bolt to hold the clip be in the wrong position for these Micarta scales. EDIT: discussed in this thread, which I totally missed the first go-round:

viewtopic.php?t=84314

I wrote to RCBW and he was surprised by this since the knife he used as a template had the CQI clip position (of course, just my luck!). So, that said, I need to wait until I get a new revised FRN Chap to put into the scales. I told him I’d tell you all about this, so make sure you check the clip position on the Chap you want to swap before you order these scales! You’ll either have the screw in the bottom end (original position) or in the middle of the clip (new CQI position), you need the latter for these scales!

The scales themselves are of course a perfect fit otherwise and highly recommended! I also really appreciate the quick response I got back from RC Bladeworks about this situation, we talked through it and he’s now aware of this potential problem. He was even kind enough to give me a coupon for my next purchase from him, and I’m thinking some polished bone linen ones are next! Hope this helps! Cheers, Radioactive
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:55 am
Hi folks, I have an update on my black linen scale set adventure...

Wow, that's a real bummer, but thank you for sharing your experience! I just checked and I too have the pre-CQI version, I would have been very frustrated after having put in the time and effort to finish the scales to then have them not fit the knife.

Hopefully, you're able to get them onto a CQI chappy soon.
So it goes.
RadioactiveSpyder

Finished up this project with the help of a gently used CQI FRN Chap off eBay and another dose of minor frustrations. Those came from the fact that the screw holes weren’t quite cut wide enough to accept the larger ones, so I had to work those out a bit which ended resulting in the need to sand and polish the scales down again. The other frustrating thing was the scales are just a bit thicker than stock ones so the screws (bolts) for the clip and its lanyard barrel were just a bit too short to grab and hold the clip. I had to find a longer clip screw to make it work. The standard clip screw arrangement for these is one short screw on the non-clip side and a longer one to hold the clip — I had to use 2 long screws to extend the barrel a wee bit more toward the clip side so it could be grabbed by the screw.

Otherwise, the finished product is amazing! The action is great and the scales are nearly mirrored as you can see in the second pic from the clip reflection. The whole process probably took nearly 8 hours with a decent amount of swearing as I discovered the various issues that slowed me down. I think it was worth it in the end, I hope you all like them. Cheers, Radioactive

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Looks awesome though! Might have to pick up some burgundy ones.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's fantastic. Now you get to enjoy!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well done! I think the work and frustration was worth it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Look awesome and thank you for sharing . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the story!
fixall

Post by fixall »

This set was made from some WW2 era, 19040’s U.S. navy black rag phenolic, with an inlay made from a custom pressed rag phenolic consisting of black burlap, double burgundy canvas, and ivory linen (as well as a set of blue anodized hardware from BladeWeLove). :)

Last edited by fixall on Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.