CCW revolver

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RugerNurse

CCW revolver

Post by RugerNurse »

Any recommendations for a budget friendly revolver? The Taurus 856 is around $300 but I don’t know much about their quality. Apparently it’s getting better from what I hear. The LCR and J Frame revolvers are a bit more but are they worth it?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Ankerson

Re: CCW revolver

Post by Ankerson »

I would stick with a good high quality semi-auto if you are going to carry it concealed.

Lots of good .380's, 9mm, .40's and .45's. around.

They are lighter and easier to conceal normally.

But if you are stuck on a revolver then yes they are worth the extra cost in the end.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:27 am
Any recommendations for a budget friendly revolver? The Taurus 856 is around $300 but I don’t know much about their quality. Apparently it’s getting better from what I hear. The LCR and J Frame revolvers are a bit more but are they worth it?

Back in the day, Taurus was known for their problems. I've also heard that they've improved, but I'm old and stubborn so I don't care. Since you're RUGERnurse, I was going to recommend a used Ruger SP101 or Speed Six. But a quick trip over to gunbroker showed me that they are far more expensive than I expected. Nevertheless, gunbroker can be a good way to go. I've bagged plenty of used guns there.

You might want to look at Armscor (Rock Island). When they really hit the American market, I bagged one of their 1911's because they were absurdly cheap. My intention was to carve it up and refinish it. But the quality was so nice that I pretty much left it as is. The finish wasn't top shelf, the edges weren't top shelf, but the darned thing looked good from ten feet away, and it was perfectly reliable.

Armscor has a couple .38 Specials on their web page, listed at under three Benjamins.
Rob
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I recommend the Ruger LCR in .38 Special. Pocket revolvers are for very short distances; this isn't the place to buy "just as good". The LCR has an enclosed hammer that won't get gunked up or caught on clothing. The sights are robust but replaceable with either tritium or fiber optic. Good trigger. Grips are easily interchangeable and several vendors offer grips for this model. Hogue and Pachmayr are the best. Laser grips are available if that's your thing. I say .38 because the .357 model is heavier and I practice with the same ammo I carry.
- Richard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:03 pm
I would stick with a good high quality semi-auto if you are going to carry it concealed.

But if you are stuck on a revolver then yes they are worth the extra cost in the end.
+1
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:03 pm

+2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A good revolver just cannot be beaten. They are more reliable and have less to go wrong when someone is on top of you at contact distance. They can be shot to 100 meters reliably with practice. There is nothing simpler, just pull it out and pull the trigger.

The Ruger LCR is a very good choice. They are light weight and reliable. S&W has the Body Guard .38, which is the same sort of thing; polymer frame revolver. The S&W BG has the advantage of being able to be opened with either hand because of the different cylinder latch. This is the one I bought for my wife and if I were to go back to the States I would buy another one, though the Ruger is in the running. Both of these have good triggers because of the newer inner workings. I know for sure that both of these are very good.

I don't know for certain, but Rock Island Armory is said to make a good revolver. Charter Arms used to be good for the price. They may still be good. I'd look at one of these for something inexpensive. My choice would be the Ruger or S&W.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

I agree with Ankerson on going with a semiautomatic pistol, my one absolute requirement is 9mm as a minimal caliber, nothing smaller!

I’ve always thought I wanted a S&W 340 PD or a 360 PD as a true carry revolver, great concept and very high quality revolvers, but honestly it’s just not something you’ll practice with! With .357 loads they’re a handful. But….it’s a purpose built gun, anyone in a life or death situation will never think of or even remember any harsh recoil. Kind of like airbags, I’m in the automotive collision industry, anyone who’s been in a collision bad enough to deploy an airbag, they never heard it, and trust me they sound like a 12 gauge shotgun when deployed!

I know thin single stacks are all the rage, Glock 42, 43, 43X, and 48. The Hellcat, the 200 different models of the Sig P365, Ruger’s 9mm lineup, some great semi’s out there!

I’ve been on a HK kick for the last five or six years, carry one everyday. But, for that one “smaller” EDC pistol, you just cannot beat a Glock 26, 27, or 33 depending on your caliber choice? Great price, endless holster choices, tough as nails, super reliable, and these Subs shoot every bit as good as their larger Compact counterparts (19, 23, 32).

I have a 20 year old G26 with THOUSANDS of rounds through it with never once a hiccup. Glock finally released a factory 12 round magazine with a pinky extension and they’re great!

So a Glock 26 with four or five of the 12 round magazines is what I recommend, and so fun to shoot, shoots way above it’s size!

Or, just get a revolver! ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

benben wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:15 pm
I agree with Ankerson on going with a semiautomatic pistol, my one absolute requirement is 9mm as a minimal caliber, nothing smaller!

I’ve always thought I wanted a S&W 340 PD or a 360 PD as a true carry revolver, great concept and very high quality revolvers, but honestly it’s just not something you’ll practice with! With .357 loads they’re a handful. But….it’s a purpose built gun, anyone in a life or death situation will never think of or even remember any harsh recoil. Kind of like airbags, I’m in the automotive collision industry, anyone who’s been in a collision bad enough to deploy an airbag, they never heard it, and trust me they sound like a 12 gauge shotgun when deployed!

I know thin single stacks are all the rage, Glock 42, 43, 43X, and 48. The Hellcat, the 200 different models of the Sig P365, Ruger’s 9mm lineup, some great semi’s out there!

I’ve been on a HK kick for the last five or six years, carry one everyday. But, for that one “smaller” EDC pistol, you just cannot beat a Glock 26, 27, or 33 depending on your caliber choice? Great price, endless holster choices, tough as nails, super reliable, and these Subs shoot every bit as good as their larger Compact counterparts (19, 23, 32).

I have a 20 year old G26 with THOUSANDS of rounds through it with never once a hiccup. Glock finally released a factory 12 round magazine with a pinky extension and they’re great!

So a Glock 26 with four or five of the 12 round magazines is what I recommend, and so fun to shoot, shoots way above it’s size!

If I was going to do it I would go with a highly modified 1911 like a Colt Officers Model or Commander. Just something about a 1911 you know. It will always be my 1st choice no matter what. :cheap-sunglasses

Or

Just maybe a Glock G30 and feed it ammo it likes.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Thanks all. I carry a M&P Shield in 9mm often but looking to change it up sometimes.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Ruger LCR is my pick.

I use to own a S&W 36-2. Shot it well enough, but always thought the trigger could use some work. Then I traded into a Ruger LCR. Better trigger, no hammer to snag, and I shoot it slightly better.

About the only thing I found better about the S&W J-frames is they are slightly smaller in size compared to the Ruger LCR.

Re: Taurus

Their revolvers have always been pretty decent. I've heard that the company is trying to turn their image around. While not a revolver, my buddy's Taurus GX4 impressed me.
benben

Post by benben »

Halfneck wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:24 pm
Ruger LCR is my pick.

I use to own a S&W 36-2. Shot it well enough, but always thought the trigger could use some work. Then I traded into a Ruger LCR. Better trigger, no hammer to snag, and I shoot it slightly better.

About the only thing I found better about the S&W J-frames is they are slightly smaller in size compared to the Ruger LCR.

Their revolvers have always been pretty decent. I've heard that the company is trying to turn their image around. While not a revolver, my buddy's Taurus GX4 impressed me.
The LCR in .327 Federal Magnum looks interesting. Plus one more round of capacity over .38, 9mm, and .357 Magnum.

Underwood Xtreme Defense....
1500 fps at the muzzle.
475 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy.

I'm not too keen on going with another cartridge outside of the mainstream calibers, but that'll get it done!

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html
benben

Post by benben »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:14 pm
benben wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:15 pm

If I was going to do it I would go with a highly modified 1911 like a Colt Officers Model or Commander. Just something about a 1911 you know. It will always be my 1st choice no matter what. :cheap-sunglasses

Or

Just maybe a Glock G30 and feed it ammo it likes.
And that right there is what makes America great....choices and the freedom to choose!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

When the feces hits the rotary oscillator a person wants something he knows he can count on and while I love semi-autos, and I used a small pocket .380 ACP to defend myself in a dire situation, I was later glad it worked as intended. When we moved, I sold it and kept, guess what, a small .38 Special revolver. I realize that assurance is a good thing when your life is on the line. I am not knocking anyone who chooses a pocket semi-auto. After that incident my choice changed to a revolver with a Big Dot front sight. I still have my compact semi-autos in storage.

Carrying a larger gun than pocket sized I want a semi-auto, unless I am in bear or moose country (moose are dangerous and huge), and then I want a powerful revolver.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

benben wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:27 am
Halfneck wrote:
Ruger LCR is my pick.

The LCR in .327 Federal Magnum looks interesting. Plus one more round of capacity over .38, 9mm, and .357 Magnum.

1500 fps at the muzzle.

I'm not too keen on going with another cartridge outside of the mainstream calibers, but that'll get it done!

Re: .327 Mag - read different articles that say that the .327 Mag is a good round, BUT it is very loud & the recoil is almost on par with .357 Mag.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

And a bonus of the Taurus snub revolvers is 6 rounds compared to the typical 5.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:02 am
When the feces hits the rotary oscillator a person wants something he knows he can count on and while I love semi-autos, and I used a small pocket .380 ACP to defend myself in a dire situation, I was later glad it worked as intended. When we moved, I sold it and kept, guess what, a small .38 Special revolver. I realize that assurance is a good thing when your life is on the line. I am not knocking anyone who chooses a pocket semi-auto. After that incident my choice changed to a revolver with a Big Dot front sight. I still have my compact semi-autos in storage.

Carrying a larger gun than pocket sized I want a semi-auto, unless I am in bear or moose country (moose are dangerous and huge), and then I want a powerful revolver.
Nothing wrong with a .38 SPL with the right ammo. :smlling-eyes

I would go with +P ammo personally depending on the gun and if it was rated for +P Ammo or not.

If not that maybe Glazers or Magsafe. :shush
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

benben wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:27 am
Halfneck wrote:
Ruger LCR is my pick.

1500 fps at the muzzle.

I would stick with a .357 Magnum loaded with the Remington 125 grain SJHP load that is AFAIK still at the top of the list for one shot stops and has been for as long as I can remember. That's if I was going to carry a wheel gun.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Halfneck wrote: [quote=benben post_id=<a href="tel:1748248">1748248</a> time=<a href="tel:1697642827">1697642827</a> user_id=19145]
[quote=Halfneck post_id=<a href="tel:1748179">1748179</a> time=<a href="tel:1697599498">1697599498</a> user_id=4301]
Ruger LCR is my pick.

1500 fps at the muzzle.

[/quote]

Re: .327 Mag - read different articles that say that the .327 Mag is a good round, BUT it is very loud & the recoil is almost on par with .357 Mag.
[/quote]

The operating pressure of the .327 Fed Mag is higher than the .44 Mag, that’s why they’re noisy.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I went out to the range earlier this year with a long time neighbor. Her husband passed away suddenly last year and she wanted to learn how to use his guns. We brought out both pistols and revolvers. She really took a liking to shooting .38 Spl & +P’s in the Ruger LCR. (wasn’t interested in trying Mags) I thought it would be too much recoil for someone on only their third time out at the range, but she loved it. She even preferred it over my heavier SP101.