Will Factory Switch Blades/Scales Between Knives? (Same Model)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Traditional.Sharpening

Will Factory Switch Blades/Scales Between Knives? (Same Model)

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

I have several knives that I'd like different combinations of blade and handle material but do not feel qualified to disassemble and reassemble them myself in a way that I believe would guarantee safe function of the knives. Say I was to send in two Native Chief's to Golden for work and asked with a note that I'd like the blade swapped from one to the other. I understand this would likely incur an additional fee for assembly/disassembly but is it possible to make this type of switch in general assuming parts are the same between both knives?
yablanowitz

Re: Will Factory Switch Blades/Scales Between Knives? (Same Model)

Post by yablanowitz »

Short answer, no.

Long answer, probably not. Spyderco practices CQI, Constant Quality Improvement. They make changes where and when they are needed based on real-world feedback. Most of these changes go unnoticed and undocumented, with the end result that parts may or may not interchange between two knives of the same model with different manufacturing dates. People do blade swaps on their Spyderco knives all the time. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but they always void the warranty.
Traditional.Sharpening

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:43 am
Short answer, no.

Long answer, probably not. Spyderco practices CQI, Constant Quality Improvement. They make changes where and when they are needed based on real-world feedback. Most of these changes go unnoticed and undocumented, with the end result that parts may or may not interchange between two knives of the same model with different manufacturing dates. People do blade swaps on their Spyderco knives all the time. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but they always void the warranty.
So you're saying there's a chance.....???
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's really not that hard to take them apart and reassemble them. there are plenty of videos for tips out there on youtube. it's a good way to get to know your knives. the most important thing to remember is be careful with the screws. you definitely don't want to strip them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Traditional.Sharpening

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:05 pm
it's really not that hard to take them apart and reassemble them. there are plenty of videos for tips out there on youtube. it's a good way to get to know your knives. the most important thing to remember is be careful with the screws. you definitely don't want to strip them.
That's not what I'm most worried about, I don't pretend that I'd be able to even be certain the parts are working well enough together so I don't even want to go down that road myself swapping parts. I mean if the factory can't even do it reliably then I'd just rather not even start down that road.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The factory can do it reliably, they just won’t. I would also recommend doing it yourself, its not difficult.
-Nick :bug-red
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

Spyderco knives are very easy to take apart and put back together. There are tons of videos on YouTube with step by step instructions.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I also think you should not shy away from doing it yourself.

I´ve dis - and reassembled back-, liner-, and comp.lock Spydies (no CBBL yet, my Manixes were/are all pinned, not screwed LW variants), and yes, it is really not hard to do.

And I am not super skilled when it comes to finer technical/manual work.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

If you want Golden to do it, then why ask here? Just ask them.

If you’re considering doing it yourself, my advice, stemming from bitter experience is don’t try to do blade swaps on lockbacks. On others, sure give it a go and see if it works.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brummie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:04 am

If you’re considering doing it yourself, my advice, stemming from bitter experience is don’t try to do blade swaps on lockbacks. On others, sure give it a go and see if it works.

Why?

... I dis- and re-assembled a lot of (Seki) lockbacks (without any problems), but never did an actual blade swap.
Might be a good idea though to swap both the blade AND the lockbar.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Doing blade/scale swaps are a lot easier than properly sharpening a blade, just saying.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:22 am
Why?
Just because they’re harder to disassemble and reassemble, and there’s a much smaller chance of the blade swap working. If you’re confident in your abilities to put them back together, then sure, have a go, but don’t bank on it working.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brummie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Why?
Just because they’re harder to disassemble and reassemble, and there’s a much smaller chance of the blade swap working. If you’re confident in your abilities to put them back together, then sure, have a go, but don’t bank on it working.

Don´t want to sound arrogant by any means (!), but it is really not much of a problem to put back together Seki lockbacks, which as far as I read are even a bit harder to reassemble than Golden ones (and I am certainly at best averagely talented in that kind of work)

Just fitting in the lockbar again might take two or three tries, but if one does this as the last step, it´s pretty easy too (see this vid for example starting at about 09:20 https://youtu.be/8dZqL41zqts?si=MzZNcUc6dB-sK-sy&t=560)

As for "blade swap working": Why shouldn´t it? Especially if one swaps blade AND lockbar?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:59 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Short answer, no.

So you're saying there's a chance.....???
There is a chance. There is also a chance that the moon will fall out of the sky. I don't know which event is more likely.
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:00 am
Brummie wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Why?

Don´t want to sound arrogant by any means (!), but it is really not much of a problem to put back together Seki lockbacks, which as far as I read are even a bit harder to reassemble than Golden ones (and I am certainly at best averagely talented in that kind of work)

Just fitting in the lockbar again might take two or three tries, but if one does this as the last step, it´s pretty easy too (see this vid for example starting at about 09:20 https://youtu.be/8dZqL41zqts?si=MzZNcUc6dB-sK-sy&t=560)

As for "blade swap working": Why shouldn´t it? Especially if one swaps blade AND lockbar?
Assuming you don't run afoul of some undocumented, unnoticed CQI dimensional change, it should. But as Sal has said, "These aren't Legos".
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:47 am
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:59 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:00 am
Brummie wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Why?

Assuming you don't run afoul of some undocumented, unnoticed CQI dimensional change,
it should. But as Sal has said, "These aren't Legos".
True of course - but equally for ALL lock types, but Brummie said that there´d be a "much smaller chance of the blade swap working [particularly] with lockbacks.

I can´t see why this should be the case ("much smaller chance of working with lockbacks") if blade AND lockbar get swapped
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:32 am
Doing blade/scale swaps are a lot easier than properly sharpening a blade, just saying.
Was wondering if someone was going to make a comment along these lines! Really though, pretty mind blowing. It's kind of like being a computer programmer...but not knowing how to turn the computer on :grimace
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Traditional.Sharpening

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:59 am
nerdlock wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:32 am
Was wondering if someone was going to make a comment along these lines! Really though, pretty mind blowing. It's kind of like being a computer programmer...but not knowing how to turn the computer on :grimace
I would contend that doing something well is not the same as simply doing it. Sure, I can probably do it but I am concerned with whether it can be done WELL enough to be worth the effort. This type of statement is not an objective statement but subjective, people in general will struggle with different tasks that other people may find a breeze.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:17 am
I do not feel qualified to disassemble and reassemble them myself in a way that I believe would guarantee safe function of the knives.
Are you saying you aren’t qualified to use a screw driver?

This isn’t a car. Anyone can take them apart and put them back together.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I’ve done blade swaps on pm2’s multiple times it is easy. Does not require full disassembly.

I’ve disassembled multiple other Spyderco’s without a problem.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Traditional.Sharpening

zhyla wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:03 am
Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:17 am
I do not feel qualified to disassemble and reassemble them myself in a way that I believe would guarantee safe function of the knives.
Are you saying you aren’t qualified to use a screw driver?

This isn’t a car. Anyone can take them apart and put them back together.
What we are talking about is the complex relationship between individual parts and that is what I am saying I don't believe I qualify for not knowing the differences they may have made over the years. Sharpening a knife is easy too but I don't expect just anybody will be able to identify the subtle differences that make all the difference between an edge that will check all the right boxes to perform well and not chip.... cough... cough... Ramonade... cough.