Favorite non spyderco knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hydrashok

Favorite non spyderco knives?

Post by Hydrashok »

Just curious what other forum members like for knives not made by spyderco, one of my personal favorites besides SAKs is this Mikov 241 predator in n690, I’ve always thought lever locks were super cool and this was my first auto and holds a special place in my collection.
Attachments
IMG_7485.jpeg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Favorite non spyderco knives?

Post by Doc Dan »

Buck has some knives that I really like, such as several updated versions of the 110.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

For folders mine would a a Hinderer xm18 3.5" ( it would be Medford by a mile if they didn't get lockstick! )
For fixed blades, Busse Combat
James Y

Post by James Y »

Victorinox and CRK (Chris Reeve Knives).

Jim
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Maxace.

I like them in the same way, and for the same reasons I like Spyderco.

Edit: A few of my favorites:

Amber 2S, in S90V

Heron, in S90V

Killer Whale 1, in Vanadis 10 and Killer Whale 2, in ASP60

Peregrine, in clad ZDP189

Frida, in m390

Axes, in Vanax
Last edited by Giygas on Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cold Steel SRKC is one of my favorite knives period.

They're only about $30, come in four colors, have simple handles with excellent grip and ergonomics, useful blade shape & size, stout enough for rougher use but still cuts effectively out of the box, and the included sheath is solid.

I've got a bunch of them, with my first FDE version out for delivery today in fact.

Pictured below is my first one (black) and my newest one (green).

The black one had the edge thinned, then the blade stripped, then I raised the saber grind on my belt sander, and it also developed a patina.

Green one is still stock besides getting the edge a little sharper than the factory did. Eventually I'll be stripping it and thinning out the edge too.

May try converting one to FFG or convex. They're cheap enough I have no second thoughts about modding them. I've even entertained the idea of trying to scandi grind one and remove the guard to make it like a puukko.

It's my favorite general purpose fixed blade these days, even edging out my aqua salts.

Honorable mention to my Landi Bushcrafter. I've always loved the ergonomics - fits my hand better than just about any other knife I own. The cutting performance has really started to shine since thinning it out some more on my belt sander.

I also have some japanese culinary knives I'm very fond of, but kitchen knives seem to bore most people here ;)
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

New one came an hour after my last post.

Here's a comparison between the black, green and FDE.

Also grabbed some C clips for them.

:unicorn
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would say CRK (Chris Reeve) for folders and Randall & Busse for Fixed blades.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in on the CRK's, beautifully done knives. As soon as you handle one, you know why their priced the way they are.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

In the limited amount of makes I have carried, I would say for me the CRK and Hinderers. In fact, I could have an Inkosi and an XM-18 3.5 and need nothing else. The CRKs are slim enough for me to carry anywhere. Both are way over built and will take way more of a beating than I ever give any of my knives.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Moki, Al mar, g. Sakai,
..not much, spyderco pretty much stole most of my knife attention right from the gecko
:bug-red-white
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I like old Benchmades and traditional slipjoint patterns with modern materials.

Also have a couple ZTs (0801BRWCF, 0808 regrind, 0393, 0357) couple CRKs, one Strider (SnG), one Hinderer (Firetac). They're alright. Wish ZT would put out some new designs, wish Hinderer would make more lefty stuff and more thinner stuff. CRK, I've got a large+small 21 and a Mnandi and don't see a need or have a desire for any more. Not going to move the ones I have, though.

Mostly I like Spydercos, though.

Benchmades: 710, 730, 615.

Slipjoints: Lionsteel and Viper in M390. Been looking at a Fox gunstock to add as well.

CRK: rocking the lefty Starbenza 21s
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

I would love a CQB-15 Emerson Left Handed.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

akapennypincher wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:33 pm
I would love a CQB-15 Emerson Left Handed.

https://emersonknives.com/shop/knives/e ... ed-cqc-15/
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter: This is a shockingly good fixed blade that I thought was going to be catch and release. As the name implies, it is meant for hunting, but is a pretty versatile knife for most tasks. I don't spend a ton of time looking at, or shopping for fixed blades -- this one just worked for me.

Chris Reeves Large Sebenza 31: I really don’t know what I can say about the Sebenza that hasn’t already been said a million times. It’s one of those knives that you don’t realize how good it is until you actually get one. Replaced the lugs with Bugout thumb studs.

Zero Tolerance 0562: Just a great all-around user knife with seriously good ergonomics and a thicker blade stock. I do plan on eventually replacing this with a Hinderer XM-18 in the future.

CIVIVI Baklash: This is my favorite sub-$50 locking folder. Great for throwing in the pocket on those days where losing or damaging your knife is a real possibility. I blade swapped a 154CM blade on mine, but I think 9Cr18MoV is a perfectly competent steel for the price.

Hogue Deka v2: Hogue has been putting out some really great stuff, and I really think the Deka may be their best knife yet and made me fall in love with the cross-bar lock again. I really think the blade and cutting geometry really make this knife shine too. I have aftermarket scales by Original Goat on it since I didn’t care for the polymer ones.

Giantmouse Ace Riv: This is such a great sub 2.5” knife; the ergonomics on it are truly a love-letter to the hand. While the blade shape has some faults when it comes to piercing cuts, it’s relatively versatile otherwise.

Victorinox Pioneer: This is my favorite knife of all time. It’s just such a perfect tool set and I find myself using the non-knife tools all the time. I’m also a fan of the X55CrMo14 steel — I can sharpen it on a ceramic coffee mug and strop it on my belt if needed.

Victorinox CyberTool M: I wish Victorinox would use the “Cyber Tool” (the actual tool) even more often; it allows you to use interchangeable bits. Back when I did IT work, it was an indispensable tool since it has pretty much everything you’d ever need besides maybe a crimping tool and a line tester, though I don’t see those coming anytime soon ;)
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Hogue Ritter RSK Mk1 G2
hogue_ritter_fde_04.jpg
ZT 0770
zt_0770_ksf_m4_01.jpg
ZT 0562
zt0562_pair.jpg
Benchmade Mini-Onslaught
mini onslaught coated 01.jpg
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Hello,

May not be the right place to admit that but if it was not for the Spyderco Salt lines I could have probably kept using only SAKs.

I always have a Rambler or a Rally with me.
And most of the time a bigger size either a waiter , spartan or climber.
Just received a Pioneer Alox X as my fist alox model which I am sure will get pocket time.

When I am the UK, it still is probably enough for me. When I am abroad, I guess at this stage, I'd "need" a Spyderco.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I'm really torn between two at the moment,

My Schrade USA Uncle Henry LB5 and my Mora Eldris.

I love the Schrade for it's traditional pocket knife appeal and the Mora for much the same reason - it's a handy little fixed blade knife that can be pocket carried and do a whole host of everyday cutting stuff.

But, if I had to stay with one only, I'd give the nod to the Mora.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

CRKs, Bugout
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

It changes, but I really enjoy the Protech Malibu.